Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Just maybe WTC....does a good job.
Quote | Reply
I read reports from today's challenge AC. I read reports about HITS and other series. I have never done any of these. I have done IMC twice. I have nothing to complain about. There is good support, good food, great courses in some interesting places.....I am going to do IMAz in November...my expectation is it will db high quality and consistent with previous experience.

There is a lot of whining on these boards about WTC...but at the end of the day they do a pretty good job of giving us what we want.
Quote Reply
Re: Just maybe WTC....does a good job. [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhayden wrote:

There is a lot of whining on these boards about WTC...but at the end of the day they do a pretty good job of giving us what we want.

I want pancakes. Never had pancakes at a WTC event. WTC sucks.
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Jun 29, 14 20:40
Quote Reply
Re: Just maybe WTC....does a good job. [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a free pancake breakfast at both IMLP and IMFL each every year! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTC does an amazing job... Period. Challenge AC was an absolute mess. The swim was confusing, way too many turns and not enough buoys.... And the run, let's just say that there's no way any runner would be interrupted during a WTC event like we saw on the boardwalk today. It was chaos. I've even heard of some people missing their turns and running extra miles, that would never happen at an Ironman. Bottom line WTC is a quality product, are they expensive? Yes. Are they a huge money hungry corporation? Yes. But by any standard their product is amazing and the people competing and watching get what they paid for.
Quote Reply
Re: Just maybe WTC....does a good job. [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomziebart wrote:
We have a free pancake breakfast at both IMLP and IMFL each every year! ;)

Upstate NY or Florida... I think I'll be fine without pancakes then.
Quote Reply
Re: Just maybe WTC....does a good job. [Oldironhands] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oldironhands wrote:
WTC does an amazing job... Period. Challenge AC was an absolute mess. The swim was confusing, way too many turns and not enough buoys.... And the run, let's just say that there's no way any runner would be interrupted during a WTC event like we saw on the boardwalk today. It was chaos. I've even heard of some people missing their turns and running extra miles, that would never happen at an Ironman. Bottom line WTC is a quality product, are they expensive? Yes. Are they a huge money hungry corporation? Yes. But by any standard their product is amazing and the people competing and watching get what they paid for.

This is my exact thoughts also. Pretty much everyone's complaint about WTC is their prices. I'm okay with problems happening at shorter distances, but like the reassurance toeing the line of a full knowing I won't have any problems (organization wise).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We want trucker hats...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure IMCdA had them this weekend as well. And after racing Florida and spectating LP, they are both awesome events and atmospheres. Especially IMLP.

Quote | Reply
For the millionth time...every single person in our sport should take time to volunteer as a race captain on a triathlon company race team for one year. Go to 10-12 meetings the year before the race and volunteer your a...off on race week and race day(24 hours) and then sit back.

Yes, most WTC events are awesome as are a host of other too. But it is the whole process of producing a triathlon that we all should take note...it is really hard work and should not be undertaken lightly.

Here are some basic questions you should ask:

Is there an experienced triathlete in charges?
Is it a first time course?
Is it obvious the community wants the race?
Has there be swims in the body of water before? Other Triathlons?
Would the triathletes in the area ride that course on the weekends?
Are there going to be aid station every mile?

STIndiana
America Multi-Sport, Inc.
America's Half June 10, 2017
USAT RD Century Club
http://www.americamultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sold out too fast, I couldn't get in, WTC sucks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhayden wrote:

x2.

I've ben a customer and have also been to multiple WTC races as a spectator. What's interesting to me is when I'm spectating and the people I'm with (non-triathletes) make unsolicited comments about how impressively organized everything is. They know what the hell they're doing, no question about that.
Quote Reply
Re: Just maybe WTC....does a good job. [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
It sold out too fast, I couldn't get in, WTC sucks

Yeah, those M.Dot events are so crowded, nobody does them anymore.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Upstate NY or Florida... I think I'll be fine without pancakes then. "

Upstate NY is great. Florida...blah. especially if your a Nordicskier? Pancakes suck!
Quote Reply
Re: Just maybe WTC....does a good job. [Stindiana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stindiana wrote:
For the millionth time...every single person in our sport should take time to volunteer as a race captain on a triathlon company race team for one year. Go to 10-12 meetings the year before the race and volunteer your a...off on race week and race day(24 hours) and then sit back.

Yes, most WTC events are awesome as are a host of other too. But it is the whole process of producing a triathlon that we all should take note...it is really hard work and should not be undertaken lightly.

Here are some basic questions you should ask:

Is there an experienced triathlete in charges?
Is it a first time course?
Is it obvious the community wants the race?
Has there be swims in the body of water before? Other Triathlons?
Would the triathletes in the area ride that course on the weekends?
Are there going to be aid station every mile?

Here is another question you should ask: Did the RD crank up the hype machine about the race to such fever pitch that he could never put on the quality race he promised? In other words, saying over and over again that you are going to put on a world class event does not mean you are going to put on a world class event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oldironhands wrote:
And the run, let's just say that there's no way any runner would be interrupted during a WTC event like we saw on the boardwalk today. It was chaos. I've even heard of some people missing their turns and running extra miles, that would never happen at an Ironman.

Well that's not true. It happens all the time.

Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
rhayden wrote:

I want pancakes. Never had pancakes at a WTC event. WTC sucks.

I'm not sure anyone got that I wasn't serious about pancakes. I picked a random thing, said that I never got it from WTC, so therefore WTC sucks. Which pretty much sums up the hater posts.

The thing I want from WTC Ironman events is rational wave starts. Not rolling, not TT start... wave starts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eggs Benedict. Not just bad ones--but good EB. WTC never has had them on their menu for any pre/post parties that I've heard of or been to. Just once...EB pleaaaaase?
However, I forgive them since the events are extremely well put together for the most part.
Quote Reply
Re: Just maybe WTC....does a good job. [snackchair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snackchair wrote:
Oldironhands wrote:
And the run, let's just say that there's no way any runner would be interrupted during a WTC event like we saw on the boardwalk today. It was chaos. I've even heard of some people missing their turns and running extra miles, that would never happen at an Ironman.

Well that's not true. It happens all the time.

I don't know the exact situation, but Jessie Thomas going extra 10 miles on the bike at Eagleman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced Challenge AC yesterday and feel I need to defend/clarify some things (I'm not affiliated with them in any way):

1) the swim was tough, partly because of all the turns but mostly because of the tidal conditions. They absolutely could use more buoys. That said, even with more buoys it was going to be slow due the currents.

2) The turns on the run were not hard at all to see. If someone ran past the south turn on the boardwalk, they would have had to be almost deliberately ignoring the volunteers, arrows and giant signs.

3) The crowd interference was bad, but not as bad as it could have been. Volunteers and spectators were good at keeping the course mostly clear during the prime marathon times. Could more have been done? Absolutely (roped off course, etc)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had pancakes at Eagleman and snow comes too!! Well the pancakes were from the host hotel but I guess that counts :0)

Quote | Reply
I don't know... I constantly read these "open letters to the WTC" about major problems at their events and can't help but think they are up to no good. I mean - running out of finisher hats, crazy race day photo prices, hiring volunteers who don't know where transition is, strong arming independently owned hotels into cancelling reservations...

I mean, seriously, who does that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhayden wrote:
I read reports from today's challenge AC. I read reports about HITS and other series. I have never done any of these. I have done IMC twice. I have nothing to complain about. There is good support, good food, great courses in some interesting places.....I am going to do IMAz in November...my expectation is it will db high quality and consistent with previous experience.

Except when you can't get in because the race sells out instantly!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhayden wrote:

+1 same experience I've had at 20 or more WTC events. A few crappy one but overall most have been well done and quality products. Rev3 also does a fantastic job and sets a high bar.
Quote Reply
Re: Just maybe WTC....does a good job. [NMath] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NMath wrote:
2) The turns on the run were not hard at all to see. If someone ran past the south turn on the boardwalk, they would have had to be almost deliberately ignoring the volunteers, arrows and giant signs. )

I missed the turnaround at mile 15. I assure you it was not deliberate.

Internet User
Quote Reply
Re: Just maybe WTC....does a good job. [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but did you go to the pre-race meeting or look at the most recent course maps before race day? I thought they explained/laid out the new course really well and there were large signs/arrows and volunteers yelling to turn around for loop 2/3. That said, I don't know if they had the arrows/signage the whole day, or only had put it down after the fastest people came through. I started the run about 1:30 and it seems obvious to me each time I came through. I also don't know if the volunteers lost their "oomph" in the later hours of the race.
Quote Reply

Prev Next