Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Just a day of training for Lionel Sanders
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwM_0S9vQgc#t=450

All in a days work:

3 hrs on the trainer - 294W avg

15 miles on the treadmill in ~90min (6 mile/min pace)

Followed by >3200m in the pool

I think I figured out what I'm doing wrong ...

Quote Reply
Re: Just a day of training for Lionel Sanders [Nunchuck_Canuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that 6:00 pace is only slightly faster than his IM run pace. His "easy" pace is probably 6:15-6:30.

I saw another pro's training log that had a 24 mile run with negative splits. Most of it at their open marathon pace around 6:00. During that 2 week block he rode a total of 900 miles, ran 140, swam 50,000y. A lot of those bike miles were LSD, so I think it was 80 hours total. Pretty sick. Bet he slept 9 hours a night easy... plus a 2 hour nap each day. That's making it a full time job.

I wonder what the training log of a pro baseball player or golfer looks like?

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Just a day of training for Lionel Sanders [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know you put that in pink, but the funny part is the irony inherent in making that statement pink.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Keep in mind that 6:00 pace is only slightly faster than his IM run pace. His "easy" pace is probably 6:15-6:30.

I saw another pro's training log that had a 24 mile run with negative splits. Most of it at their open marathon pace around 6:00. During that 2 week block he rode a total of 900 miles, ran 140, swam 50,000y. A lot of those bike miles were LSD, so I think it was 80 hours total. Pretty sick. Bet he slept 9 hours a night easy... plus a 2 hour nap each day. That's making it a full time job.

Wake up, eat, inject something, eat, nap, stand around all afternoon? /pinkish

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Just a day of training for Lionel Sanders [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They gotta whack some balls, give them that, they whack a lot of balls.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
your missing the 2.5miles of total recovery in between mile repeats.
also all though his avrg power was 294 the impressive part is the actual quality work that was done i.e. 2hrs total above 340w and 10miles total at 5min/mile
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
now i see how he went 1:09 at Syracuse. what a beast
Quote Reply
Re: Just a day of training for Lionel Sanders [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

Wake up, eat, inject something, eat, nap, stand around all afternoon? /pinkish

Yes, but they have extra time to do that since they don't have to look for home stays.
Quote Reply
Re: Just a day of training for Lionel Sanders [andrewnova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just to put those numbers in perspective. earlier in the year he lionel weighed 73kg and had an ftp of 396w (5.43w/kg). TJ Tollakson said he weighed 162lbs (73.63kg) and has an ftp of 360.
Quote Reply
Re: Just a day of training for Lionel Sanders [niko.5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niko.5 wrote:
also all though his avrg power was 294 the impressive part is the actual quality work that was done i.e. 2hrs total above 340w and 10miles total at 5min/mile

... and what's really missing is not that he can do this... that's not a surprise, it's that top pros like him can do this type of intensity and overall weekly volume and not get injured. I know if I had the luxury of more than the 45-47 hours of sleep I get a week, I could handle more training load. But to get more sleep I either need to abandon my family (1/2 way there already), quit my job or train less.

I know that even if I had the time, I don't have the mechanics or durability (due mostly to flawed mechanics) to do that run training. I could do the bike (at similar % of FTP), and could probably improve my swim quite a bit with a masters program and swim coach as I've swam a lot faster years ago. But I know i can only dream of running like that. It's a real gift.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, love the access. He just made a new fan and Im sure will make many more if he keeps putting this type of content out there.

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Re: Just a day of training for Lionel Sanders [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thoughts exactly. New fan here as well. I've loved the Specialized "training day" videos on youtube, and this was great behind the scenes stuff kinda in the same vein.

It's fantastic to see what the pros are doing on days other than race days and press conferences!

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: Just a day of training for Lionel Sanders [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to take a 30 minute recovery nap after watching that video.

Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing. That is a big day. Crazy that he did over 5 hours of training indoors. That might put me off of triathlon forever if i did that more than once.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is awesome stuff. I need to train more and work less.

His feet move so fast. lol.
Last edited by: BMANX: Aug 22, 14 9:24
Quote Reply
Re: Just a day of training for Lionel Sanders [TheGupster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheGupster wrote:
I had to take a 30 minute recovery nap after watching that video.

Ha! Nice.

Great video. Hope he podiums at MT.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Just a day of training for Lionel Sanders [TheGupster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no doubt about it, this guy is a beast. scary part, his swim will only continue to improve to the point where it's no longer a weakness compared to his peers. he's certainly been the revelation in the sport over the past 12 months although i'm sure Barry and his training partners can give earlier examples of his athletic prowess.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Last edited by: larsfinanger: Aug 22, 14 9:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
niko.5 wrote:

... and what's really missing is not that he can do this... that's not a surprise, it's that top pros like him can do this type of intensity and overall weekly volume and not get injured. I know if I had the luxury of more than the 45-47 hours of sleep I get a week, I could handle more training load. But to get more sleep I either need to abandon my family (1/2 way there already), quit my job or train less.

I know that even if I had the time, I don't have the mechanics or durability (due mostly to flawed mechanics) to do that run training. I could do the bike (at similar % of FTP), and could probably improve my swim quite a bit with a masters program and swim coach as I've swam a lot faster years ago. But I know i can only dream of running like that. It's a real gift.

This is the key thing to keep in mind. Those sessions would be much less meaningful and hard to maintain if he had other priorities or things to do post-training than recover.
Quote Reply
Re: Just a day of training for Lionel Sanders [niko.5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niko.5 wrote:
just to put those numbers in perspective. earlier in the year he lionel weighed 73kg and had an ftp of 396w (5.43w/kg). TJ Tollakson said he weighed 162lbs (73.63kg) and has an ftp of 360.

But TJ will have a 4 minute lead out of T1 in a 70.3, 7-8 in an IM.

But when he makes the transition to long course, if he can get his nutrition right, he could be "the guy" that can make up for his weaker swim on the bike (ride to the front), then unleash a sub 2:40 run. The other fast runners usually have a 3-8 minute deficit coming out of T2. Although Alexander was an all-arounders. But he's a faster runner than Alexander at least at the 70.3 distance.

I think at the 70.3 WC, he'll still be too far back to run everyone down. His best chance is that he can swim with a 2nd a group close to Keinle, then latch on to him for a ride up to the front. He gets some of his swim time back in transition if it's a long one... benefit of being a fast runner. 2nd option is that he Gomez rides conservative and lets the leaders go (he did this at Hyvee). If he does that, he could find himself next to Gomez out of T2.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really think his swim is getting closer to the front than most realize. I'm going to surprised if he doesn't lead this race at the end of the day. I actually think the back half of the bike course will allow him to bridge toward the front and be within 2 minutes of the lead. My best guess is that we'll see some fireworks from Gomez and Lionel over the final 5k or so...

Swimmer
http://www.usprotri.com/LAMASTRA.html
http://www.bodyphyxinternational.com
Quote Reply
Re: Just a day of training for Lionel Sanders [larsfinanger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is interesting. This workout is quite similar to what the marathon runners are doing close to an important race. Triathletes just need to do a longer version of it :-)

It seams to me that the half distance has had an increase in level the years. Are the athletes training more specific for the 70.3 distance or is this just a natural evolution of the sport. These days 1.15 is "slow" even after a good bike leg for the pros.

Hopefully we will see some good racing at MT and Bahrain.
Quote Reply
Re: Just a day of training for Lionel Sanders [jimswim99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People are forgetting that there's a lot of others guys out there. All around triathletes that swim in 22-23min and can run 1h09-1h12

Jan Fredeno
Brent McMahon
Tim Don
Joe Gambles
Andy Potts

Lionel is going to be at least 3 mins behind if not more. kienle was not even close to the lead in St George...finished 10th.

see results at St George 70.3 http://www.sportstats.ca/...de=107438&bib=11

Good Luck to him, it's not going to be easy for him to get on the podium.
Quote Reply
Re: Just a day of training for Lionel Sanders [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTL wrote:
People are forgetting that there's a lot of others guys out there. All around triathletes that swim in 22-23min and can run 1h09-1h12

Jan Fredeno
Brent McMahon
Tim Don
Joe Gambles
Andy Potts

Lionel is going to be at least 3 mins behind if not more. kienle was not even close to the lead in St George...finished 10th.

see results at St George 70.3 http://www.sportstats.ca/...de=107438&bib=11

Good Luck to him, it's not going to be easy for him to get on the podium.

Oh yah?? And what has Kienle done at the 70.3 Worlds the last two years?
Quote Reply
Re: Just a day of training for Lionel Sanders [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Kienle was admittedly not in top shape though while Frodeno more or less was. But your point is a good one there's tons of guys he'll have to reckon with and I guess we'll see at 70.3 worlds?
Quote Reply
Re: Just a day of training for Lionel Sanders [jimswim99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimswim99 wrote:
I really think his swim is getting closer to the front than most realize. I'm going to surprised if he doesn't lead this race at the end of the day. I actually think the back half of the bike course will allow him to bridge toward the front and be within 2 minutes of the lead. My best guess is that we'll see some fireworks from Gomez and Lionel over the final 5k or so...

Firstly, there's no way I can add any comment to this thread without first noting what an incredible training day he put in, and how much I appreciate people being so open with their training.

That being said... he knocked out a 1:17 on his last hundred, and he was hurting. He probably gives up a lot on his walls, but chances are very good (if he's doing meters) that Gomez is going to finish that hundred in 1:00-1:03, because he has been 15:30 for a 1500.

With those sorts of training days, I'd bet on Lionel getting there sooner than anyone else thinks, but we can do the math (1900 meters for a half x 14-17 seconds per hundred... maybe ~9 -12 seconds when you account for the differences from the turns) and that's a whole bunch of time that he's going to have to make up. I bet he's going to be there in a year, and he's going to make some waves this year, especially with the number of people he'll pass on the run.
Quote Reply

Prev Next