Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Julie Miller 2 year ban from Triathlon Canada
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Julie Miller 2 year ban from Triathlon Canada [Forsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I would say that is the end, not the beginning. It's done.
Quote Reply
Re: Julie Miller 2 year ban from Triathlon Canada [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It isn't over until the ITU strips her of her 2014 ITU AG "victory". Still waiting to hear that shoe drop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Mark,

Still nothing from Julie Miller herself. Telling that before TriCan released this news, they gave her an opportunity in confidence to appeal, but there was no response.

I seem to recall when all of this peaked a couple of months ago their were rumors/rumbling that Julie Miller was going to launch some form of aggressive defense of her actions. Dan Empfield, was going to give her the opportunity to tell her side of the story, but again . . . . nothing on that front either.

I'm reluctant to give her a platform, but I am intrigued how she pulled this off. There would have had to have been, for each of the races she cheated at, some form of elaborate system to elude detection while at the same time, giving strong indicators that she actually did the race in full. In other words, some pretty detailed thought and planning would have had to go into each race to pull something like this off.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Nov 30, 15 9:22
Quote Reply
Re: Julie Miller 2 year ban from Triathlon Canada [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The lack of response or appeal is rather perplexing given the voracity with which Julie and her supporters came down on any naysayers during the summer. The "bully" dialogue she posted on her Facebook page (before she changed her name and added more privacy controls) certainly speaks to a mindset of denying and refuting the accusations that she cheated, and yet, given the opportunity to appeal to our sport's governing body (in presumably what would have been the fairest and most objective of circumstances), she seems to have chosen not to. I can only hope this is because she is standing down, and not because she is going to deny that Tri Canada ever contacted her.

For all of the athletes that were unfairly treated because of her behaviour, the ban from Tri Canada goes a long way to restoring and promoting fairness in the sport. I appreciate that Tri Canada (and Tri BC, for that matter) took this seriously, took the time to review her conduct, and dealt with the matter in what seems to be a judicious and fair manner.
Last edited by: lostinT2: Nov 30, 15 9:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:

the correct response is, "sure, they said 2 years .... but she will probably cut it short"
Quote Reply
Re: Julie Miller 2 year ban from Triathlon Canada [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2years is only 14 mos. Canadian, anyways.
Quote Reply
Re: Julie Miller 2 year ban from Triathlon Canada [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:

touche'
that's way better. stoopid metric system
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe she will get a slot on Oprah to tell us all how she did it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
nc452010 wrote:

touche'

I can see how having a common unit of measure for distance, length, etc would be confusing.

1km = 1000M = 100,000cm = 1,000,000mm

1Mile = 1,760 Yards = 5,280 feet= 63,360 inches
Quote Reply
Re: Julie Miller 2 year ban from Triathlon Canada [NavEEd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NavEEd wrote:
dsmallwood wrote:
nc452010 wrote:

touche'

I can see how having a common unit of measure for distance, length, etc would be confusing.

Try that with international currencies, now. :)
Last edited by: nc452010: Nov 30, 15 10:39
Quote Reply
Re: Julie Miller 2 year ban from Triathlon Canada [lostinT2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lostinT2 wrote:
The lack of response or appeal is rather perplexing given the voracity with which Julie and her supporters came down on any naysayers during the summer. The "bully" dialogue she posted on her Facebook page (before she changed her name and added more privacy controls) certainly speaks to a mindset of denying and refuting the accusations that she cheated, and yet, given the opportunity to appeal to our sport's governing body (in presumably what would have been the fairest and most objective of circumstances), she seems to have chosen not to. I can only hope this is because she is standing down, and not because she is going to deny that Tri Canada ever contacted her.

For all of the athletes that were unfairly treated because of her behaviour, the ban from Tri Canada goes a long way to restoring and promoting fairness in the sport. I appreciate that Tri Canada (and Tri BC, for that matter) took this seriously, took the time to review her conduct, and dealt with the matter in what seems to be a judicious and fair manner.

I would imagine she will say something to the effect of "why bother fighting when everyone is against you"? Or "why fight the big nasty triathlon Canada?"
She has an excuse as to why she didn't bother. 100% guaranteed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
M~ wrote:

the correct response is, "sure, they said 2 years .... but she will probably cut it short"

***WINNER***
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
lostinT2 wrote:

I would imagine she will say something to the effect of "why bother fighting when everyone is against you"? Or "why fight the big nasty triathlon Canada?"
She has an excuse as to why she didn't bother. 100% guaranteed.

The sad part isn't that she has excuses for you or me...the sad part is that she's using these excuses on her friends and family. The people that actually have to live with her on a daily basis...knowing that she's basically spinning a big lie in front of their faces. One day her kids will grow up and figure this whole thing out.
Quote Reply
Re: Julie Miller 2 year ban from Triathlon Canada [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
It isn't over until the ITU strips her of her 2014 ITU AG "victory". Still waiting to hear that shoe drop.
Are AG results online anywhere? I can't find them. IIRC Chicago was 4 bike loops with an out and back on each loop, and 4.5 run loops. Real easy to cut that course.
Quote Reply
Re: Julie Miller 2 year ban from Triathlon Canada [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Are AG results online anywhere? I can't find them. IIRC Chicago was 4 bike loops with an out and back on each loop, and 4.5 run loops. Real easy to cut that course.

She is still listed at #1 F40-44. http://www.triathlon.org/...championships/267371
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the old thread Dan said he heard from Julie Miller's representatives, in the form of lawyers. That's why the older thread was locked down and the one that followed that had certain rules the posters had to followed. Dan mentioned/alluded to spending money to defend ST.

Fleck wrote:

Mark,

Still nothing from Julie Miller herself. Telling that before TriCan released this news, they gave her an opportunity in confidence to appeal, but there was no response.

I seem to recall when all of this peaked a couple of months ago their were rumors/rumbling that Julie Miller was going to launch some form of aggressive defense of her actions. Dan Empfield, was going to give her the opportunity to tell her side of the story, but again . . . . nothing on that front either.

I'm reluctant to give her a platform, but I am intrigued how she pulled this off. There would have had to have been, for each of the races she cheated at, some form of elaborate system to elude detection while at the same time, giving strong indicators that she actually did the race in full. In other words, some pretty detailed thought and planning would have had to go into each race to pull something like this off.

Quote | Reply
I did not follow that other thread(s) all that closely but it's sad if true that Dan had to spend money lawyers were involved. While I don't promote getting lawyers involved unless necessary I would say too bad to her should some be serving her for the damages/costs she caused to others.

zoom wrote:
In the old thread Dan said he heard from Julie Miller's representatives, in the form of lawyers. That's why the older thread was locked down and the one that followed that had certain rules the posters had to followed. Dan mentioned/alluded to spending money to defend ST.
Quote Reply
Re: Julie Miller 2 year ban from Triathlon Canada [Devlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do we need to start a Slowtwitch defense fund?

Maybe that should be "defence fund" being that it's a
Canadian thing.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Nov 30, 15 12:24
Quote Reply
Re: Julie Miller 2 year ban from Triathlon Canada [Devlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, i incurred legal fees. however, at the slowtwitch party in kona there were a lot of canadians there, and they all made a point of coming up to me and commenting on how they appreciated the moderation of this topic: to allow people to comment, but to disallow a lynch mob solely for the sport of the participants, at someone's expense, regardless of the deeds of the object.

to that end, i'd like to make sure this discussion threads that line. as to the WC result which still stands, there's an OpEd on the front page to that point (along with our coverage article on the ban itself).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
There would have had to have been, for each of the races she cheated at, some form of elaborate system to elude detection

Or, maybe a very simple system. Step off the course for about the time it would have taken you to complete the skipped segment, pretend to stretch or just rest, then start up going the opposite direction. The splits are about right, and with so many people on the course, who is going to notice? Even if you had a competitor that was trying to watch for you, they could assume they missed you in the crowd. (I saw this happen several times at a race a few years back; people step off the course prior to the middle of an out/back, "stretch", then resume in the wrong direction.)

Unless the timing companies take it upon themselves to use video verification for every person who "misses" a timing mat, this is bound to happen. The fact that it did happen says there is not always the level of verification required to insure fair racing.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Re: Julie Miller 2 year ban from Triathlon Canada [NavEEd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NavEEd wrote:
dsmallwood wrote:
nc452010 wrote:

touche'

There are two types of countries in the world.....those that use the metric system and those that have landed on the moon.

Just sayin'.....Wink

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Julie Miller 2 year ban from Triathlon Canada [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
NavEEd wrote:
dsmallwood wrote:
nc452010 wrote:

touche'

There are two types of countries in the world.....those that use the metric system and those that have landed on the moon.

Just sayin'.....Wink

As a scientist/engineer/researcher/math dork, the metric system is undoubtedly a better/tighter solution. I don't mind the lack of a base 10, but the inconsistency in unit is what really pisses me off (pound force, pound mass, slug, etc., what is that BS!).

That said, it is hard to turn an oil tanker. The State of Alabama went metric in the 90s, it was bad (especially for first responders on the interstate trying to find accidents using mile/km markers). Louisiana made an attempt as well and the people actually doing the work (not the engineers or designers, but the contractors) experienced some real problems.

3.281 feet per meter and 3.2808 feet per meter turn out to be much different when your project is 15,000 feet long.

Anyway, it is fun to talk about, and if you have a technical education, you are nearly guaranteed to become proficient in both prior to leaving university (because if you go design roads, you will be in the Imperial system but if you go design jets and cars, you will likely be in metric).

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Julie Miller 2 year ban from Triathlon Canada [Jim Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the few (possibly only?) advantages of the imperial system is that you can always divide a measurement in half.....which may sound kinda trite until you are doing some woodworking project and need to halve some random measurement. With the metric system, you can't always do that.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Julie Miller 2 year ban from Triathlon Canada [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
One of the few (possibly only?) advantages of the imperial system is that you can always divide a measurement in half.....which may sound kinda trite until you are doing some woodworking project and need to halve some random measurement. With the metric system, you can't always do that.

For example.....
Quote Reply

Prev Next