Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Juicer
Quote | Reply
My wife and I have read about the many benefits of Juicing, not the Lance Armstrong type of juicing, but the beets and kale type of juicing... I came across an interesting article about the benefits of beet juice and how it seemingly offers endurance athletes a third lung. Yes, I know this topic has been discussed before, but I am interested in some personal stories. Has juicing enhanced your performance, both on the course and in other areas of your life?
Quote Reply
Re: Juicer [argon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got a juicer for Christmas and would be very interested in any testimonials too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did you look at this thread?
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=50;

I think there's another more detailed one from about a year ago too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure your budget, but I just bought my wife a vitamix 750, she loves it and our friends like it so much they went and bought one today.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the juicer was the one and only thing I changed in my life last year. I therefor owe my increased libido and the AG podium I got last summer to it alone....

The real success story:

It added variety to my diet and contributed to me eating more healthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just read in the Team Sky book that their cook juiced some 30kg (60lbs) of fresh stuff for his team daily during the TdF

==================
Ditch the carbage - Go keto!
Quote Reply
Re: Juicer [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nebmot wrote:
Not sure your budget, but I just bought my wife a vitamix 750, she loves it and our friends like it so much they went and bought one today.

That is a blender (which I'm sure you realized) not the same as an actual juicer. While they say you can make juices with it you are really making more a smoothie then juice as you are just grinding it all up not extracting the juice.

My parents had a juicer, dad wanted it out of the house so they gave it to me since I said I wanted to try it. I used it once looked at all the waste and never used it again. All that waste was fiber which to help lower triglycerides (damn you genetics) the Dr told me to get more of. Juicing would then mean I had to supplement fiber even more all the while I threw it out just to get juice. Nope never again.

Sometimes I'll make like a kale orange juice and carrot smoothie, but juicing wasn't for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I have added juicing to our diets about a year ago. After a few weeks I started to notice an increase in daily energy and feeling better overall. She is a runner (marathons and half marathons) and while did not notice any energy increase she did notice that she started to feel better overall as well. Also, she suffers from migranes so we did some research and saw that certain juices will help with these and it seems to be working a little bit. She still gets them, but, not as often. I would say that she decreased them by 25% in the last year. Could there be other factors affecting this? Maybe, but, for how bad she gets them any decrease is worth it.

I started to try to drink beet juice daily/twice a day and now in the mornings before I work out and started to notice more endurance on my runs and rides. Do some research on beets and give them a shot. Make sure though that you peel your beets before juicing to get rid of the earthy taste. Also, when you juice make extra and store in a seal tight glass container as this will keep in the fridge for 48-72 hours and in the freezer for up to 10 days.

For a good juicing recipe book, try 101 Juice Recipes from Joe Cross. It's a good book for trying different juicing recipes. My favorites so far are the Beet-ini and Australia Gold. Also, enjoy making your own recipes as a lot of the time I try to make a 75/25 split of vegetable/fruit combinations in my juices.

Also, do not, I repeat, do not try to juice a cheetoh. My son wanted to see what happened and needless to say he was utterly disappointed.
Quote Reply
Re: Juicer [JKLipsky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great info from all, thank you. That is an interesting little factoid about team Sky. Maybe I will go from a MOP AG'er to a top 30 finish in Kona...all from juicing, and a little training. But unlikely! haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
argon wrote:
That is an interesting little factoid about team Sky.

Once you actually use a juicer, depending on what you put in, you will quickly realize that 60lbs doesn't produce all that much actual juice.

example an average orange weighs say about 4 oz, you need about 4 to make 1 cup ( 8 fluid ounces). So a lbs of oranges makes one serving. Oranges are going to be on the high end of something you will get a good ratio of juice out of for their weight. A lbs of carrots is going to get you maybe half that.
Quote Reply
Re: Juicer [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So true on the juicer….it throws out so much stuff and the juice ends up REALLY expensive. Pain in the ass. Now I have a Vitamix and it is so much better, and I feel healthier as one gets the fiber also. Much more versatile than a juicer IMO.

mrtopher1980 wrote:
nebmot wrote:

That is a blender (which I'm sure you realized) not the same as an actual juicer. While they say you can make juices with it you are really making more a smoothie then juice as you are just grinding it all up not extracting the juice.

My parents had a juicer, dad wanted it out of the house so they gave it to me since I said I wanted to try it. I used it once looked at all the waste and never used it again. All that waste was fiber which to help lower triglycerides (damn you genetics) the Dr told me to get more of. Juicing would then mean I had to supplement fiber even more all the while I threw it out just to get juice. Nope never again.

Sometimes I'll make like a kale orange juice and carrot smoothie, but juicing wasn't for me.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:

Or, you can take the pulp fiber and put it in soup stock. Keep a container in the freezer and then add to it. Make soup and include the pulp in the stock. That is, if you cook.

I just got the Jack Lalane juicer at Costco. Not uber expensive and works well so far. Carrot, spinach, pineapple is pretty tasty.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Juicer [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I make granola type bars out of the pulp. lots of recipes on the web. I also mix it in oatmeal and soup. And my dogs eat the pulp too (I feed them raw chicken and veggie/fruit pulp). I've also taken the pulp and mixed it w/ hot water and then strained it for a hot 'tea'

I have both the vitamix and a masticating juicer. I use the juicer a lot more now that I have it. The vitamix is great for smoothies and soups, the juicer is great for juice. I make juice about every 3-4 days and keep it in the fridge in an airtight glass container. I have about 40 oz of juice through out the day.
Quote Reply
Re: Juicer [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
mrtopher1980 wrote:

Or, you can take the pulp fiber and put it in soup stock. Keep a container in the freezer and then add to it. Make soup and include the pulp in the stock. That is, if you cook.

I just got the Jack Lalane juicer at Costco. Not uber expensive and works well so far. Carrot, spinach, pineapple is pretty tasty.

Yes I looked up things I could do with it including soup and even investigated dog food like ghiagirl just mentioned, my pups love veggies.

If I'm going to end up eating all the parts anyway the appeal of juicing quickly fades so I just started doing smoothies.

Not saying don't do it just couldn't get into it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed! I tried to use the pulp in breads, etc. Tasted like crap! After using my juicer for a couple of months and buying enough fruit to feed a full size gorilla each week, I tired of it.

mrtopher1980 wrote:
ironclm wrote:
mrtopher1980 wrote:

Yes I looked up things I could do with it including soup and even investigated dog food like ghiagirl just mentioned, my pups love veggies.

If I'm going to end up eating all the parts anyway the appeal of juicing quickly fades so I just started doing smoothies.

Not saying don't do it just couldn't get into it.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: Juicer [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
So true on the juicer….it throws out so much stuff and the juice ends up REALLY expensive. Pain in the ass. Now I have a Vitamix and it is so much better, and I feel healthier as one gets the fiber also. Much more versatile than a juicer IMO.

mrtopher1980 wrote:
nebmot wrote:

If I could just find a way to significantly decrease the nutrient density (and totally eliminate the fiber) and increase the cost of what I drink...juicing makes no sense whatsoever.
Quote Reply
Re: Juicer [stop2think] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Juicing makes sense if you like drinking fresh juice.
Quote Reply
Re: Juicer [user123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
user123 wrote:
My wife and I have read about the many benefits of Juicing, not the Lance Armstrong type of juicing, but the beets and kale type of juicing... I came across an interesting article about the benefits of beet juice and how it seemingly offers endurance athletes a third lung. Yes, I know this topic has been discussed before, but I am interested in some personal stories. Has juicing enhanced your performance, both on the course and in other areas of your life?

I've tried juicing with my masticating juicer Omega VRT350 a few month ago and must admit that it worked for me. It looks like you drink a pair of energy drinks, yet it doesn't affect your health in a bad way.

Best Press Juicers 2015 Reviews
Last edited by: MikeDi: Apr 19, 15 9:05
Quote Reply