Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Jordan Rapp and Jesse Thomas sign with Dimond
Quote | Reply
http://rustersports.com/blog

Quote:
For immediate release
Dimond adds influential triathletes Rapp & Thomas to help take their triathlon superbike even further into the future.

DES MOINES, IA
Dimond Bikes, operating as part of Rüster Sports, LLC is pleased to announce a five year partnership with five-time Ironman Champion and ITU Long Distance World Champion, Jordan Rapp as well as four-time Wildflower Champion and two-time Ironman 70.3 Champion, Jesse Thomas.
Rüster Sports founder, and two-time Ironman champion, T.J. Tollakson describes signing Thomas and Rapp as a marker of the brand’s growth among top tier riders and his vision for the Dimond bike. “Jordan and Jesse are the one-two punch that further legitimizes Dimond as the industry leader in technological innovation and data driven performance. We are very excited with these two smart athletes who will add immense value to our company both on and off the bike.”
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp and Jesse Thomas sign with Dimond [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds cool - good news and marketing for Dimond. Two more engineers going to Dimond as well.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does this kinda make T.J. their boss? Will they have to take it easy on their boss in races now? Conflict of interest in racing the same races?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, any word on Frodeno?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
msaad7 it seem for me that Frodeno is on Canyon bike now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now ST gets to hear all about how Dimond makes the fastest bikes.

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool - can't wait to hear from Jordan!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp and Jesse Thomas sign with Dimond [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

There may be something to that. I seem to recall that the Softride and the Zipp beam bikes of 15 years ago, in certain conditions, tested better than anything on the market in recent years.

I sense because they were not UCI legal, many of the key mfg, did not pay much attention to them.

Kudos to TJ and the team at Dimond. It will be interesting to see where this goes for them.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jan 6, 15 9:05
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp and Jesse Thomas sign with Dimond [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

There may be something to that. I seem to recall that the Softride and the Zipp beam bikes of 15 years ago, in certain conditions, tested better than anything on the market in recent years.

I sense because they were not UCI legal, many of the key mfg, did not pay much attention to them.

Kudos to TJ and the team at Dimond. It will be interesting to see where this goes for them.

If TJ is smart, and I think he is, then the sponsorship would be more of an ownership deal with stock in the company and some involvement in the management team making it a win win not just from an athletic side, but from a business and technical innovation angle. I have no clue what it takes to get Jordan on deck compared to what a larger company might offer, but I can see something like this being very attractive for now and life after triathlon racing. One of my good friends (Steve, you likely know him) was on the 1980 Olympic marathon team for Canada and at the time was sponsored by Brooks. He went to Brooks and said he wanted to start Brooks Canada...the rest is history. Mike Dyon ran 2:11 in his best days and continues to run Brooks Canada and is one of the top 55-59 XC skiers in Canada to boot. All started when he was a competitive athlete with a business mind and knew he was 3-4 minutes off competing with Salazar and Rob DeCastella and others but there was way more money to be made running a company than coaching track!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

I suspect a problem they may face is their back orders which may be huge and whether they can fill them.

Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp and Jesse Thomas sign with Dimond [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect a problem they may face is their back orders which may be huge and whether they can fill them.

Cervelo had that problem a number of times over the years. A certain amount of over-demand, managed well ( that's key), is a good thing.

Better than a warehouse full of stuff that you can't sell! :)

Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp and Jesse Thomas sign with Dimond [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are both a great culture match for Dimond, I think.

Dimond is cool, and very engineering-oriented.
Jesse is cool, and Jordan is very engineering oriented.

I'm looking forward to seeing the IMAZ bike record be broken again in 2015! Maybe Wildflower too? (I think the Dimond is well suited to the WF course)

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp and Jesse Thomas sign with Dimond [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev,

Mike is a good friend of mine as well. In business, and we ski together a few times each winter.

His business model in the early days with Brooks, was to mimic what Phil Knight was doing with Nike at the time - hard to believe considering where Nike is these days, but the business model was to go high school track meets and cross-country races and sell the shoes from the trunk of a car! So that's what Mike did with Brooks I bought a few Brooks trainers from him when I was back in High School circa late 1970's!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not be surprised to se some other brands going this way soon. Seems Trek has been quiet for a long time......
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp and Jesse Thomas sign with Dimond [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Although Dimond did their testing at Faster. Which has proven to be both less than repeatable and accurate than many (most, maybe all) other tunnels. But to Faster's credit they did put that on their website.

Maybe that will keep the rhetoric down.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jan 6, 15 9:25
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp and Jesse Thomas sign with Dimond [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:

Although Dimond did their testing at Faster. Which has proven to be both less than repeatable and accurate than many (most, maybe all) other tunnels. But to Faster's credit they did put that on their website.

Maybe that will keep the rhetoric down.

I think they may have taken another trip to the wind tunnel this year, but this time to A2. Maybe James will chime in and confirm or deny. Regardless the thing I really like about TJ and Dimond is they continue to innovate. I know their bike has changed since that original Faster trip and would like to see the numbers since.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp and Jesse Thomas sign with Dimond [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not be surprised to se some other brands going this way soon. Seems Trek has been quiet for a long time..

Gary,

Yes - there was another thread where this was discussed at length. The traditional model or thought, where a brand "pays" an athlete to rep a product and because that athlete get's some great results, sales will increase, is flawed. It has VERY limited use in the very busy and noisy marketing space these days.

Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp and Jesse Thomas sign with Dimond [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no doubt that the dimond is a fast bike. I'd even consider riding one. I've owned 3-4 softrides over the years and I know beam bikes are fast. But how fast is the Dimond?

Is it faster or slower than the P5? We don't know bc you could run that same test at Faster today and get different results that may or may not coincide with the original results. We just don't know.

There is a reason(s) why Velonews (at least I think it was VN) redid their wheel test at A2 after doing it at Faster and a reason why contracted pro cycling teams still used A2 to do WT testing even though they could do it at faster for less.

I to would love to see the A2 numbers if they have them. But I also want to know if Dave or Geoff ran the A2 test and if Jim was there or not.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took the part you quoted as a reference to Trek potentially making a beam bike, or at least getting further from UCI legal.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$6000 Just for a frameset? Holy Moly....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve, seems I wasn't clear. I meant the bike design, not the business model.
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp and Jesse Thomas sign with Dimond [JayZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

FWIW - A Cervelo RCA frame is $10,000! But it's not as aero! :)

Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp and Jesse Thomas sign with Dimond [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I have no doubt that the dimond is a fast bike. I'd even consider riding one. I've owned 3-4 softrides over the years and I know beam bikes are fast. But how fast is the Dimond?

Is it faster or slower than the P5? We don't know bc you could run that same test at Faster today and get different results that may or may not coincide with the original results. We just don't know.

There is a reason(s) why Velonews (at least I think it was VN) redid their wheel test at A2 after doing it at Faster and a reason why contracted pro cycling teams still used A2 to do WT testing even though they could do it at faster for less.

I to would love to see the A2 numbers if they have them. But I also want to know if Dave or Geoff ran the A2 test and if Jim was there or not.

Jim being there or not being there would have no effect on whether the bike testing was valid.

I can neither confirm nor deny that Dimond visited A2. But if has been since September 1st or thereabouts I would curious as to the confidence of the resultant numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JayZ wrote:

Ask Beyonce for a loan... sheesh, didnt know things were that bad around the Carter household these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you looked at the frame prices for an Sworks Shiv, Speed Concept 9 series, Cervelo P5?

What's Jordan going to use for a road bike? I'm hoping he goes with a brand that doesn't do tri, like AX-Lightness Vial Evo... and then posts a bunch of pictures of training rides for us living vicariously.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next