Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Joining an Age Group Team
Quote | Reply
What are the best age group triathlon teams out there? Looks like there are some cool new teams popping up, and other teams coming back at it for another year.

INFINIT Nutrition has launched their age group team (called Team INFINIT Performance) and they are currently accepting applications.

The Baucco Squad and TRS Racing are at it for another year. They seem to have a really fun group of athletes. They are also accepting applications for a bit longer.

Castelli launched a new age group team this year, but I couldn't find all the details or a kit design and applications may be closed already...

Any other cool looking teams still open for applications?
Quote Reply
Re: Joining an Age Group Team [DawgTown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't get it. Why would anyone want to join one of these "teams"?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Joining an Age Group Team [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I don't get it. Why would anyone want to join one of these "teams"?

I have never been on one, but considering applying this year, in part for a few reasons:
1) If you are looking for a new race kit, the premium you pay to join a team is not a ton more than the cost of some new kits @ retail, but when on a team there is some other swag and discounts that could bridge that gap further.

2) Opportunity for training camps to meet new people and expand your network is somewhat appealing

3) Some teams have target races that could be a good impetus for you to schedule an interesting race in a new location, again an opportunity to make a few friends in the process

I think the dowside is the expectation for a certain degree of social media posts and tags, but some of them don't require you fill your feed with a constant barrage of shares and posts.
Quote Reply
Re: Joining an Age Group Team [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are some good perks. Usually twice as much gear as you pay for, decent discount codes... but mostly for the camaraderie at races, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Joining an Age Group Team [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
I think the downside is the expectation for a certain degree of social media posts and tags

This.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Joining an Age Group Team [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much of that can you get that out of local triathlon clubs? I think ours offers a bunch of that, plus you actually train with your club-mates sometimes.

It just seems, to me as an outsider looking in, that you are paying a company for the privilege of doing marketing for them. Maybe I'm missing something.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Joining an Age Group Team [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
milkman1982 wrote:

I think the downside is the expectation for a certain degree of social media posts and tags

This.

I can only speak for the team I'm a member of, The Baucco Squad, that there is no social media requirement.

As for why I am a part of the team? I would say the number one reason is camaraderie in an individual sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Joining an Age Group Team [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
milkman1982 wrote:

This.

That depends on what level of support you get from your sponsors. If they give you "free" stuff just for being on the team, then yes the expectation is you give them a shoutout. But otherwise these teams that you buy in to don't expect anything in the way of social media work.

Essentially you join one of these teams simply to feel a sense of camaraderie, you get some decent swag from it, usually a private discussion group, etc. It's not a huge thing. Usually the cost to buy in is about the cost of a kit anyway.

I should add that I am on both a local club out of my bike shop, as well as TRS. While I race in my local club kit, I still like being on the TRS team and hanging with them and the Baucco guys whenever I see them at races. It's mostly just a networking thing at this point.
Last edited by: g_lev: Nov 1, 17 5:42
Quote Reply
Re: Joining an Age Group Team [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
milkman1982 wrote:

This.

That depends on what level of support you get from your sponsors. If they give you "free" stuff just for being on the team, then yes the expectation is you give them a shoutout. But otherwise these teams that you buy in to don't expect anything in the way of social media work.

Essentially you join one of these teams simply to feel a sense of camaraderie, you get some decent swag from it, usually a private discussion group, etc. It's not a huge thing. Usually the cost to buy in is about the cost of a kit anyway.

I should add that I am on both a local club out of my bike shop, as well as TRS. While I race in my local club kit, I still like being on the TRS team and hanging with them and the Baucco guys whenever I see them at races. It's mostly just a networking thing at this point.

A fair point. I am happy to share some love if I get a bunch of free stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow.... those kits are super ugly!

The team I want to get on one day is EMJ. I'm not fast enough yet but they are accepting applications I noticed! https://www.facebook.com/...sts/1508971989186157
Last edited by: daswafford: Nov 1, 17 6:56
Quote Reply
Re: Joining an Age Group Team [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, I like the Infinit kit, but I don't use Infinit. I would give Baucco's kit a 'B' and TRS a 'C' grade. I would call the Team Chocolate Milk outfits ugly ... they merit a 'D'. I know an athlete on that team and the constant social media posts with a pint of chocolate milk are tiring.

I know a lot of folks on a local team, but I won't join them because their kit is beyond 'super ugly'; it is downright hideous scoring an "F-". I won't name them though for fear of being ostracized.
Quote Reply
Re: Joining an Age Group Team [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Actually, I like the Infinit kit, but I don't use Infinit. I would give Baucco's kit a 'B' and TRS a 'C' grade. I would call the Team Chocolate Milk outfits ugly ... they merit a 'D'. I know an athlete on that team and the constant social media posts with a pint of chocolate milk are tiring.

I know a lot of folks on a local team, but I won't join them because their kit is beyond 'super ugly'; it is downright hideous scoring an "F-". I won't name them though for fear of being ostracized.

If you like those folks, could you join and just not buy / or wear their kit when racing :-)?! I sort of do this.... I train with a local team but normally race in my company's kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of teams don't require you to wear the kit in racing.... I think that if the team GIVES you the kit for free, you will have to wear it and do social media posts (etc). But if you pay $250 to be on the team, you are free to do whatever you want. I believe all of the teams above operate this way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daswafford wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

If you like those folks, could you join and just not buy / or wear their kit when racing :-)?! I sort of do this.... I train with a local team but normally race in my company's kit.

I do like a lot of the folks on the local team but I also like a lot of folks on another local team. Each team is sponsored by a different area LBS. I train alone and mostly race out of the area so there is no benefit to joining either. But clearly, the men's uniform for one of them is as hideous as it is distinctive ... wouldn't be caught dead in it. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done the same in the past. Train in my clubs kits and occasionally do team races in it, but otherwise race in a different kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joined Baucco Squad and TRS Racing last year. Honestly not expectations going into it, just thought it would be fun to be part of a team. Turned out to be an awesome group of people. I had people to train with local and I just got back from Challenge Aruba where we had 30 some team members racing. It was one hell of a good time. They even arranged special transportation to and from the airport for us. There are also some great team parties after key races. I didn't attended the training camp last year, but I will plan on it this year. Totally worth it IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Joining an Age Group Team [jpicune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpicune wrote:
Joined Baucco Squad and TRS Racing last year. Honestly not expectations going into it, just thought it would be fun to be part of a team. Turned out to be an awesome group of people. I had people to train with local and I just got back from Challenge Aruba where we had 30 some team members racing. It was one hell of a good time. They even arranged special transportation to and from the airport for us. There are also some great team parties after key races. I didn't attended the training camp last year, but I will plan on it this year. Totally worth it IMO.

So which was the better experience?

and agree with the other poster above, the Infinit kit looks nice, the other 2 I would pass on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From my experience being on a team it wasn't like this at all but probably varies a lot by team. For the team I was on, being on the team is free but hard to get in due to the high # of applicants, you get great deals on a variety of products from the team and sponsors and you are expected to wear the team kit at races. As for the social media requirements, they were only a few times a month (they never reminded you or forced you so you could do it whenever and organically (god I hate myself for using the work organically haha) and really it can just be you wearing the product and that is fine, no need to use promotional material! Obviously some people go overboard and it feels forced/rehearsed and that annoys me for sure!

As for what you get out of it in my case was a great group of people with which you are connected for a whole season and beyond (private chat room type of thing). I have met with multiple people on my team when they happened to be in town or other locals for bike rides/swims. Great atmosphere at races when multiple team members are present and again great deal on products.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m still waiting for Slowtwitch to sponsor an age group team. The amount of complaints posted by those not picked for the team would be funny. Not to mention the entertainment from the over the top criticism the poor souls picked for the team would face each race about their bike fit, power output, gear selection, etc.

I think the kits could look cool. I’m bummed I missed out on the De Soto bike kits from a few years back.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Joining an Age Group Team [Dominion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dominion wrote:
jpicune wrote:

So which was the better experience?

and agree with the other poster above, the Infinit kit looks nice, the other 2 I would pass on.

Baucco Squad and TRS Racing are the same team with two different kits. When you apply you pick a team who's kit you wear, but otherwise the two teams are linked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I ever win the lottery - I am making a specific team and the uniforms would be super bada$$....and if you dont have a sense of humor - you cant be on it

Quote Reply
Re: Joining an Age Group Team [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh, OK. Thanks for the clarification. I was noticing how the kits were the same design but just different colors and center logo.
Quote Reply