Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Join the Specialized Zwift Academy Tri Team
Quote | Reply
Am I the only one that got this email or did I miss the thread? Surely there are some opinions on the new profamateur cool team. It’s like every Team EMJ bro on earth just cried last night when a better team option came online too late to switch for next year.

From my seat, this is an obvious indication that Specialized is coming out with their new TT bike in October and they want a bunch of inexpensive mini marketers to be on it. I get it. Much less expensive than some guy like Frederick Van Lierde and who ever really bought a Cervelo because of him? And Zwift can afford to invest in a marketing model that makes sense because their business actually makes money.

Who is going to apply? Count me out personally — I hate the whole Kona and IRONMAN focus and I think it’s destructuve for the culture and the sport. But in general I like the marketing tactic in terms of not making all our shit more expensive and our bike shops suffer because you lavishly sponsor a full roster of pros.

Also, trentnix mentioned on another thread that the Win Tunnel isn’t repeatable and frankly, based on what I know about wind tunnels from talking to people who play in them, I believe him.

Discuss.

—————
Quote Reply
Re: Join the Specialized Zwift Academy Tri Team [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Profamateur,

If you’re looking to podium at the IRONMAN World Championships in Kona, then we’re looking for you. Zwift is joining forces with Specialized to create the world’s best supported amateur tri team. This is a call to triathletes of the highest caliber, ready to go the distance and share their training journey with the Zwift community.

As one of four members on our high performance race team, you’ll have access to unprecedented support from our partner brands.

What You’ll Get
- Specialized bikes, helmets, clothing, cycling shoes and accessories
- Flown to Win Tunnel in Morgan Hill for aero testing and bike fit
- Airfare, accommodation, entry fee, and expenses in Kona – covered by us
- Race proven mentoring from pros like Lucy Charles
- World-class coaching advice from Tim Don

Team Requirements
- Must be level 10+ in Zwift (by close of application)
- Plan to race an IRONMAN qualifier for Kona 2018 (or already qualified)
- Ability to race in Kona should you qualify

Up for the opportunity?
Apply Now

Not looking to race in Kona but still want to train with us? Good news! All Zwift Academy Tri workouts will be open to the public, starting this spring. You can follow Zwift triathlete news on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Strava.

Ride On.

The Team at Zwift
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I saw the email, I also thought a new bike is coming.

As far as Specialized Win tunnel repeatability, I’m not sure their is a worldwide standard on wind tunnel design so I would expect results to be slightly different from tunnel to tunnel.

Chris Yu has a Phd so I think he would know if the results were wrong.

Zwift continues to get more exciting.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got the email, but I'm not doing fulls this year.

Either way I'd be wary of what 'share thier training journey' entails.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I applied, it looks interesting. Though I imagine one will have low odds of getting in with what I imagine will be overwhelming application numbers for the few spots. Looks like it would be a fun experience for those on 'the road to Kona'. I'm not really sure what the problem is.... race hard, cool experience, get some stuff, meet some great people. Overall, have some fun.

Its what I (and everyone) should do every season regardless....

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Hey Profamateur,

If you’re looking to podium at the IRONMAN World Championships in Kona, then we’re looking for you. Zwift is joining forces with Specialized to create the world’s best supported amateur tri team. This is a call to triathletes of the highest caliber, ready to go the distance and share their training journey with the Zwift community.

As one of four members on our high performance race team, you’ll have access to unprecedented support from our partner brands.

What You’ll Get
- Specialized bikes, helmets, clothing, cycling shoes and accessories
- Flown to Win Tunnel in Morgan Hill for aero testing and bike fit
- Airfare, accommodation, entry fee, and expenses in Kona – covered by us
- Race proven mentoring from pros like Lucy Charles
- World-class coaching advice from Tim Don

Team Requirements
- Must be level 10+ in Zwift (by close of application)
- Plan to race an IRONMAN qualifier for Kona 2018 (or already qualified)
- Ability to race in Kona should you qualify

Up for the opportunity?
Apply Now

Not looking to race in Kona but still want to train with us? Good news! All Zwift Academy Tri workouts will be open to the public, starting this spring. You can follow Zwift triathlete news on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Strava.

Ride On.

The Team at Zwift

Level 10 as in cycling AND running? Or just cycling?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:

Also, trentnix mentioned on another thread that the Win Tunnel isn’t repeatable and frankly, based on what I know about wind tunnels from talking to people who play in them, I believe him.

Personally I'm not gonna trust a bike fitter when it comes to wind tunnel results repeatability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m all in. I zwift and I ride a Specialized bike already but I could use another one. Sounds amazing!! Racing IM’s are amazing but to race in Kona is unreal.
Last edited by: danstu4: Feb 24, 18 19:44
Quote Reply