Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
spot wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
spot wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
This one is easy. I do not drink, smoke or take any drugs, period. Why so many waste their money, and time on this stuff which adds zero value to ones life is beyond me.

Ah Dave, another ā€œholier-than-thouā€ post. If you donā€™t like it, thatā€™s fine, but to many of us, a nice glass of wine with dinner or enjoying a nice beer most definitely adds value to oneā€™s life. Donā€™t for a second assume that just because itā€™s not your cup of tea that itā€™s ā€œzero valueā€ to everyone. Good lord man, it must be difficult climbing on that high horse every damn day.

Nope, just my opinion. You can snowflake it all you want. Merry Christmas.

Itā€™s all in your delivery dude. Instead of just saying what works for you, you feel compelled to constantly imply that your way is the only way, and that others are wasting their money and time on something that adds ā€œzero value,ā€ without apparently considering for a second that there are other perspectives. You do this *all the time* whether it be alcohol, or Ironman, or any one of many subjects. Thereā€™s the Dave way, and apparently, everything else is the wrong way.

BTW, there is a large amount of research that shows a correlation of positive health effects with moderate drinking, especially red wine.

Sorry, some see a glass half empty, I see it half full. One can always read anything negative if they want.

Dave, there are many reasons why people drink, and there is no need to judge people if they do. But if they want to eliminate it, the better way is to support them about the benefits. A bunch of us have chosen alcohol free lives and for our values we have benefited. Others may value things differently or perhaps once exposed to alcohol free, they may change their values....I know I did....when I stopped it seemed weird to go to the pub with the guys and girls and order water and have the waitress look at you like you are an alien (keep in mind I was 27 in peak party years). My answer, "I am in your pub and you're bringing me water for free, because someone has to drive all these guys and girls who are up to the eyeballs in your booze and paying you tips, so just stop giving me attitude and give me my free water....thanks honey". Honestly at the time between the buddies calling me out for being a wimp and the waitress treating me like a loser, it was not really that easy, but I stuck to my new values. I had zero interest in alcohol, but like any 27 year old, also was interested in social acceptance and not being a total oddball (already doing triathlon and having shaved legs and bailing on parties at midnight for 6 am rides was bad enough).

What folks want to do in their life is their business. But, there is nothing wrong with me having my values. why so many freak out just because I have an opinion just cracks me up. Are they so insecure that they have to try and justify their life, rather than just let each to live their own lives. Oh well, I read more and more articles from folks who have the same opinion I do, social media is the worst thing that has ever happened to our society. I guess this will become a big fight also. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
What folks want to do in their life is their business. But, there is nothing wrong with me having my values. why so many freak out just because I have an opinion just cracks me up. Are they so insecure that they have to try and justify their life, rather than just let each to live their own lives. Oh well, I read more and more articles from folks who have the same opinion I do, social media is the worst thing that has ever happened to our society. I guess this will become a big fight also. :)
No one minds if you have a different opinion. What irritates everyone is when you shove that opinion, in a condescending way, into a thread which obviously was not intended for you.

The best thing you posted in this entire thread was Merry Christmas. I suggest you take some time off the forums and enjoy it.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
No one minds if you have a different opinion. What irritates everyone is when you shove that opinion, in a condescending way, into a thread which obviously was not intended for you.

The best thing you posted in this entire thread was Merry Christmas. I suggest you take so

me time off the forums and enjoy it.

I have nevet shoved my opinion on anyone thats impossible!!!!! Again if someone wants to make an issue out if nothing .... i see this on the news all day long. Must be that safe space education

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for ruining another thread with your bs.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s.gentz wrote:

You are welcome.

Merry Christmas

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

The best thing you posted in this entire thread was Merry Christmas. I suggest you take some time off the forums and enjoy it.

My sincere hope is that he is a massive troll that baits everyone. If he is, he gets people hook, line, sinker every time. If not, Iā€™m not sure I know what to say. He is literally the only person on here whose posts I have hidden. Unfortunately, when people quote his posts they show up anyway.

Note: pretty damn far from a snowflake. Thought Iā€™d make that known before I get called one. Iā€™m as right wing of a southern hillbilly as they come.
Last edited by: pvolb: Dec 25, 17 18:29
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
Great read Dev. Like your Arm Forces culture i grew up in a culture of alcohol. Wales and rugby and the Thursday night Saturday game day pissups. Its too easy in Okanagan to wrap EVERY social event to wine! The process to understand and adapt ones relationship with alcohol is an individual process. Its interesting for sure. And with a high radar to the culturalized nuances to alcohol when abstaining one can really learn what their relationship is. Reading your note suggests my reflections brings me to a happy place like your wife's. Wine is the accent to a great meal or a shared tip to a great friendship. Its not Tuesday night why not because work was tough!

Thanks for the dialogue. Thats what the thread is for.

The reason I ever drank a drop of alcohol was to fit into the military culture. That started at 18. When there are 997 white guys, 1 japanese and 2 Indians, you really don't want to stick out more than you do, so you try to do everything normal people do, and in the military that meant drinking whether you liked it or not. Honestly, I did not like the taste nor the day after effects, but I did enjoy getting hammered at parties with the guys and girls. That was fun. My "leaving" alcohol was about acceptance with my peers and being the only guy not drinking in a drinking culture and sticking with it and still going to parties and "fitting in" while explaining "why not". It was not that easy and I had to fight that battle. A different battle but in my mid 20's that seemed hard enough to feel like I could get the upside of no drinking for the downside of "fitting in less". Believe it or not, when I get together with my military buddies for a weekend every year, I still get grief from them all weekend for drinking soda water....until someone has to drive everyone around, then they love me LOL
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pvolb wrote:
spudone wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

My sincere hope is that he is a massive troll that baits everyone. If he is, he gets people hook, line, sinker every time. If not, Iā€™m not sure I know what to say. He is literally the only person on here whose posts I have hidden. Unfortunately, when people quote his posts they show up anyway.

Note: pretty damn far from a snowflake. Thought Iā€™d make that known before I get called one. Iā€™m as ri
ght wing of a southern hillbilly as they come.

You will not believe me but i am not a troll

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you could explain your initial post in this thread, since everyone else reads it differently than you. Might be a good opportunity to work in your communication skills.

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Why so many waste their money, and time on this stuff which adds zero value to ones life is beyond me.

h2ofun wrote:

I have nevet shoved my opinion on anyone thats impossible!!!!! Again if someone wants to make an issue out if nothing .... i see this on the news all day long. Must be that safe space education

Wait, what???? Do you read your own posts??? No issue with your alcohol-free lifestyle or your own opinion that alcohol adds no value to your life but your judgment of others who make other choicesā€”alcohol-related or otherwiseā€”is alarming.

Perhaps we should hold a competition for a month for all of us to be nice...for many of us, it would be easy. For some, such as yourself, it would be hard and we could judge others like you for whom it would be very difficult and we could say being a jerk would add no value to life and further judge you when you can help but fail at the challenge.

Would that make life better?? No, so How about you just wish those who plan to participate in this challenge all the best....just try it
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Dec 25, 17 19:02
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 on that. Judge much. Obviously someone has never had a 20 year scotch.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pvolb wrote:
Oh I know that's exactly what's going on which is why I won't continue responding.

You know, I had marked the hidden setting a long time ago but it wasn't working. You reminded me to go look. I undid it and then reset it and now it works. So you've sent me a bit of xmas cheer ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
FatandSlow wrote:
Out. Been sober since Columbus Day Weekend, 1981. I probably average less than 2 drinks each week. It tend to go up when I'm at the beach. Been over a week without one now, though.

This post is very confusing......

Sorry. Just my poor communication skills or possibly my normal state... I drink a little and am not willing to give it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have nothing to contribute to this thread but I just wanted to say that your twitter feed is fascinating to say the least. Not sure what I find more interesting... your tweets on flood water levels, your weight loss and diet tips or that your favorite Disney princess is Aurora.

h2ofun wrote:
s.gentz wrote:

You are welcome.

Merry Christmas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasnā€™t aware of this option. Then discovered there was an an entire thread devoted to blocking this one person... but everyone else is the problem? Sure.

So thank you to those who pointed out this feature as itā€™s most appreciated, and best of luck to those going for the No alchohol 3.0 January challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
Add to that, your passive aggressive ā€˜merry christmasā€™

Well, Iā€™m bringing back Happy Holidays, since I know you love PC comments so much.

Kind of funny, and quite ironic: I've noticed that many of the "Merry Christmas" salutations I've gotten over the last few weeks seem more like: "I'm saying Merry Christmas to you whether you like it or not, just to prove a point".

I'm sure Jesus would give a thumbs up to that.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [bhoage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bhoage wrote:
I wasnā€™t aware of this option. Then discovered there was an an entire thread devoted to blocking this one person... but everyone else is the problem? Sure.

So thank you to those who pointed out this feature as itā€™s most appreciated, and best of luck to those going for the No alchohol 3.0 January challenge.

Exactly. I just see a lot of Ignored Posts -- so please would everyone stop replying to that nonsense, other than to remind people who may not know about the option to ignore posts?
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [bhoage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you please link to this thread so I never have to see this poster's drivel again? At least until the moderators wake up and do something, anything about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
s.gentz wrote:

You are welcome.

Merry Christmas

How appropriate that in a thread about alcohol, you show up as the proverbial turd in the punchbowl. Again.

Read your reply to the OP, then Dan's, then Dev's, then Rhys's, and see if you can figure out why you continue to get the type of responses to your posts that you do. Given your lack of self-awareness - whether it's intentional or not - it's doubtful you will, but it's worth a try in your apparent quest for self-improvement.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back on topic, I am in on this as well. About a decade ago I realized I had a drinking problem. I was a collegiate swimmer and part of the culture was hard drinking. I have no idea how we trained so much doing that stuff. Alas, it became clear to me that I am wired differently than many. I don't moderate things I enjoy well at all, so I completely abstain from alcohol now. The very traits that make me succeed at things were the same traits that led to alcohol abuse. I've worked and still work very diligently to foster these energies in to productive areas of my life these days.

I am an alcoholic in long term recovery and I think it is great that many of you are trying this out in January. Whatever your reason for doing this, awesome. Also, for those of you who can drink, awesome as well. We all need to do what gives us happiness, health and value in our lives. I know many people who I can see have a fundamentally different wiring and relationship with alcohol than I do. I am truly happy for them. I also know many here might be like me. I have met a lot of endurance athletes who are recovering addicts of some sort. I'm glad they have found a healthy path to what works for them as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in. I'm most interested to see how much weight I can actually lose if this is my only change in normal habit. I normally cut out alcohol for 2-3 weeks before a big race, but my exercise frequency is also very different than my normal weekly routine. I probably have anywhere from 3-12 drinks per week. However, if I'm honest about the size of my glass of wine it's closer to 5-15. The higher number is much less frequent (typically correlating to party or social activities). Like this week :) I like alcohol. Some people like regular coke. Some could argue that is just as bad. I don't really care what others do or don't do. I might decide to give up alcohol completely if I see personal results (weight loss or improved workouts).

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
Maybe you could explain your initial post in this thread, since everyone else reads it differently than you. Might be a good opportunity to work in your communication skills.

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

This is brilliant but, Damn, I fear I am an asshole... :-)

As for the OP this is brilliant as well. I'm going to do it. New years (whole year or life resolutions) are just a bridge too far for most including myself. This is short enough to be easily attainable yet long enough to feel the results.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [woodys737] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two things D'Wife has said, might clarify my OWN experience with this situation

Once, I gave up drinking beer for Lent. I did not make a big daily deal about it, i.e., I didn't say "Another beerless day! I'm doing great!" No, I just kinda quietly substituted ginger ale or iced tea in times I would normally pour myself a cold one

About halfway to Easter, while doing not much of anything, and without any provocation, D'Wife chimed up with "Hey, why don't you have a beer? I think you save some sitting in the garage. Go get yourself one"
"Why would I do that? We're only three weeks in" I asked
"Because, you're getting kinda boring and a bit of a dick"

A couple years later, and that moment long forgotten, she said "You know, if you stopped drinking beer, you could probably run further & faster"

To which I replied "But if I stopped drinking beer, why would I bother to run at all?"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in too. Tried to start two weeks early last week and then christmas...and family...happened. Starting today now.

Looking forward to being able to get up at 5am more easily and to lose some of the 15lbs I need to shed to get to racing weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
This one is easy. I do not drink, smoke or take any drugs, period. Why so many waste their money, and time on this stuff which adds zero value to ones life is beyond me.

Dave while I respect your choice you should take some time to realize your posts are condescending. Taking your post quoted above you specifically use the term "ones life" rather than "my life". You have made the decision that drinking doesnt add value to your life but then you push that same decision on everyone. That is the condescending part/tone of your post.
Quote Reply

Prev Next