Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
rhys wrote:
define "value"? Your definition is different then mine and mine different then the next guys.

Look, not everyone walks your path. Instead of outing everyone other than you as of less than you, if you feel alcohol adds no life value then perhaps offer support to someone who could use a hand in abstaining. Add some value if you will.

Last year i went 20 days and felt great. Then January 20 happened. In mourning i drank. A lot. I look forward to 2018 dry January. Theres no president swearing in to throw me off this year!

You can run your life your way, but I have the choice to run mine my way. Do you attack everyone that just happens to have a different opinion than yours?

Merry Christmas

It’s too bad that such a prolific poster on this forum lacks the intellectual capacity to understand what he writes.

In your OP 2nd sentence was your own personal reflection on your situation. 3rd sentence ‘attacks’ or passes judgement on all people who aren’t like you for wasting time/money on something that has no value. That isn’t reflecting on your life, that is judging everyone else. The irony and hypocrisy of your posting is staggering.

Add to that, your passive aggressive ‘merry christmas’

Well, I’m bringing back Happy Holidays, since I know you love PC comments so much.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way to go Rhys...see how long you can extend it and if your body feels better as a result. I hope it does. As you can tell, I don't see any value for the existence of alcohol in society. We've managed to convince ourselves as a society that it's "OK" in moderation. But depending on what one wants out of life, life can be better without. Yes, I am a bit overzealous to try to get anyone who wants to try to live without this liquid to do so, just like I am excited to also convince people that exercise is awesome. Give it a go and enjoy. Life for me without any of this stuff has been great! This fall I started a tech company and had a meeting with an investor, and said that I would buy him water if he wanted a drink. The investor wants me to be fiscally frugal and have my brain power at full capacity....so no alcohol for him either LOL!
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Way to go Rhys...see how long you can extend it and if your body feels better as a result. I hope it does. As you can tell, I don't see any value for the existence of alcohol in society. We've managed to convince ourselves as a society that it's "OK" in moderation. But depending on what one wants out of life, life can be better without. Yes, I am a bit overzealous to try to get anyone who wants to try to live without this liquid to do so, just like I am excited to also convince people that exercise is awesome. Give it a go and enjoy. Life for me without any of this stuff has been great! This fall I started a tech company and had a meeting with an investor, and said that I would buy him water if he wanted a drink. The investor wants me to be fiscally frugal and have my brain power at full capacity....so no alcohol for him either LOL!

Be careful now, the snowflakes will come after you. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
rhys wrote:
define "value"? Your definition is different then mine and mine different then the next guys.

Look, not everyone walks your path. Instead of outing everyone other than you as of less than you, if you feel alcohol adds no life value then perhaps offer support to someone who could use a hand in abstaining. Add some value if you will.

Last year i went 20 days and felt great. Then January 20 happened. In mourning i drank. A lot. I look forward to 2018 dry January. Theres no president swearing in to throw me off this year!

You can run your life your way, but I have the choice to run mine my way. Do you attack everyone that just happens to have a different opinion than yours?

Merry Christmas

It’s too bad that such a prolific poster on this forum lacks the intellectual capacity to understand what he writes.

In your OP 2nd sentence was your own personal reflection on your situation. 3rd sentence ‘attacks’ or passes judgement on all people who aren’t like you for wasting time/money on something that has no value. That isn’t reflecting on your life, that is judging everyone else. The irony and hypocrisy of your posting is staggering.

Add to that, your passive aggressive ‘merry christmas’

Well, I’m bringing back Happy Holidays, since I know you love PC comments so much.

I only opened this thread to Dr. Post's plan. Always a good poster (his name is so appropriate).

Impressive post though Jctriguy - great insight. Kudos!

Quote | Reply
And I respect that.

I have had my substance abuse issues during my youth and on again off again latter day adulthood with alcohol. But I’d also say, as I have recently unpacked a lot of “stuff” associated with alcohol and my relationship with it, I really enjoy a glass of wine. I really enjoy an Okanagan Syrah with a filet. What I don’t enjoy is either side of the table for or against societies relations to alcohol being Dave/H2Ofun holier than now about it. My glass of wine with that filet adds a great deal of value to my life. My old ways of a bottle of it on a Tuesday, not so much value! And there’s a group of people who could really use help and not be judged to be weak or of less value because of a dependency to alcohol. That framework adds no value whatsoever to the conversation.

I will add this Christmas I was at 4 events in 5 days. I wasn’t drinking. There were a few who were “oh, let me get you a Perrier or Soda?”. Very “servant leadership” about it. And there were far more who were “really? You? Dude...” meanwhile the latter group had a subset within them I noticed after a few hours were intoxicated.

So my point is let’s not judge and place “value perceptions” on our relationship to alcohol. Let’s, like you have in your reply to me, offer support and/or motivation if they request, need, or seek such support. That’s why this thread is created. A support channel. Or at least that’s how I take it.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. I leave that to you actually.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
And I respect that.

I have had my substance abuse issues during my youth and on again off again latter day adulthood with alcohol. But I’d also say, as I have recently unpacked a lot of “stuff” associated with alcohol and my relationship with it, I really enjoy a glass of wine. I really enjoy an Okanagan Syrah with a filet. What I don’t enjoy is either side of the table for or against societies relations to alcohol being Dave/H2Ofun holier than now about it. My glass of wine with that filet adds a great deal of value to my life. My old ways of a bottle of it on a Tuesday, not so much value! And there’s a group of people who could really use help and not be judged to be weak or of less value because of a dependency to alcohol. That framework adds no value whatsoever to the conversation.

I will add this Christmas I was at 4 events in 5 days. I wasn’t drinking. There were a few who were “oh, let me get you a Perrier or Soda?”. Very “servant leadership” about it. And there were far more who were “really? You? Dude...” meanwhile the latter group had a subset within them I noticed after a few hours were intoxicated.

So my point is let’s not judge and place “value perceptions” on our relationship to alcohol. Let’s, like you have in your reply to me, offer support and/or motivation if they request, need, or seek such support. That’s why this thread is created. A support channel. Or at least that’s how I take it.

Holier? You have your choices in life, and I have mine. If you want to read a post as it makes you feel guilty, well, that is your choice. Clearly I have a lot of things I do others do things differently. Nothing wrong with that.

Merry Christmas

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcoming Globus, Sanrafaeltri, Allenpg, etc. to our little club. There's room for more of course.

Maybe we can back to the initial reason for the post, to see how hard/easy it will be to give up the booze for the 31 days of January.

I was a Marine pilot, helicopter instructor in Pensacola,FL - 2 pack a day smoker; Marlboro Man - when I got accepted to medical school. I haven't had a cigarette since that day in 1976. Wish I'd had the support of ST back then. (But there are days when simply walking by Barnes & Noble past a smoker these days...and it smells just terrific.) I wish the same "luck" to each of the STers who joins in this experience.

Welcome, welcome to all. Hi to Slowman, rroof, and you others I haven't chatted with in a while. Happy New Year to all.

Lets drink up for the next 6 days, so our houses are free of temptation.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m in. I rarely drink (maybe 1 a month?), so it shouldn’t be too hard.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
spot wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
This one is easy. I do not drink, smoke or take any drugs, period. Why so many waste their money, and time on this stuff which adds zero value to ones life is beyond me.

Ah Dave, another “holier-than-thou” post. If you don’t like it, that’s fine, but to many of us, a nice glass of wine with dinner or enjoying a nice beer most definitely adds value to one’s life. Don’t for a second assume that just because it’s not your cup of tea that it’s “zero value” to everyone. Good lord man, it must be difficult climbing on that high horse every damn day.

Nope, just my opinion. You can snowflake it all you want. Merry Christmas.

It’s all in your delivery dude. Instead of just saying what works for you, you feel compelled to constantly imply that your way is the only way, and that others are wasting their money and time on something that adds “zero value,” without apparently considering for a second that there are other perspectives. You do this *all the time* whether it be alcohol, or Ironman, or any one of many subjects. There’s the Dave way, and apparently, everything else is the wrong way.

BTW, there is a large amount of research that shows a correlation of positive health effects with moderate drinking, especially red wine.

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
spot wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
This one is easy. I do not drink, smoke or take any drugs, period. Why so many waste their money, and time on this stuff which adds zero value to ones life is beyond me.

Ah Dave, another “holier-than-thou” post. If you don’t like it, that’s fine, but to many of us, a nice glass of wine with dinner or enjoying a nice beer most definitely adds value to one’s life. Don’t for a second assume that just because it’s not your cup of tea that it’s “zero value” to everyone. Good lord man, it must be difficult climbing on that high horse every damn day.

It’s all in your delivery dude. Instead of just saying what works for you, you feel compelled to constantly imply that your way is the only way, and that others are wasting their money and time on something that adds “zero value,” without apparently considering for a second that there are other perspectives. You do this *all the time* whether it be alcohol, or Ironman, or any one of many subjects. There’s the Dave way, and apparently, everything else is the wrong way.

BTW, there is a large amount of research that shows a correlation of positive health effects with moderate drinking, especially red wine.

Sorry, some see a glass half empty, I see it half full. One can always read anything negative if they want.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assure you I feel absolutely no guilt but nice projection/assumption to my own self being. In fact my relationship with alcohol and (as I refer to in my reply to Dev) process to unpack said relationship and land in a healthy place has brought me to the furthest distance away from guilt; I feel self aware and confident of myself and my relationships. Much like 18 years ago crossing my first ironman finish line, I know again I can do anything.

My only ask was to take pause and perhaps help others. Next thing I know I’m a “snowflake”. Whatever the fuck that is. Now I’m told I have feelings of guilt. I don’t follow the logic but I suppose that assumes there is logic to the debate. And because clearly there is not I will forego further dialogue with you Dave.

I will offer anyone on the thread support to get through January (& beyond) alcohol free and/or in support of developing a better relationship with alcohol. Again, unpacking relationships and landing in a healthy place is a rewarding process and one that has made me more confident, comfortable and self aware to who I am, who I want to be, and constantly striving to bridge that gap.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
spot wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
spot wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Sorry, some see a glass half empty, I see it half full. One can always read anything negative if they want.

Sorry, but no. Your OP made a value judgement on anyone who chooses to drink alcohol. If you can’t see that, there’s no helping you.

Quote | Reply
Another positive thread getting derailed by this buffoon. You just can't get on ST at all without having to deal with him.

I like to think of it this way, how much would you pay for something that ups your recovery 10%? That would be huge. I'm sure a few beers a night a few nights a week hurts you a decent amount. It is nice to relax with a few beers though.

Count me in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good thread, I’m in (actually do 6 weeks away beginning every January and every July). It’s unfortunate that the thread was derailed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to see this -- I'm actually doing a "Dry December" this year. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to continue with January, but it's definitely been good for me -- dropped about 5 pounds so far, and definitely getting better, more consistent sleep.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [ntc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ntc wrote:
Another positive thread getting derailed by this buffoon. You just can't get on ST at all without having to deal with him.

I like to think of it this way, how much would you pay for something that ups your recovery 10%? That would be huge. I'm sure a few beers a night a few nights a week hurts you a decent amount. It is nice to relax with a few beers though.

Count me in.

Interesting article, somewhat related to the bolded: https://www.hammernutrition.com/...ance-gains-training/

"Du or Du not-there is no Tri" - Yoda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in once I finish my 12 pack of 805.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Articulated perfectly Rhys. Spot on.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Alfredo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
And I respect that.

Hey Rhys, my angle is that I kind of got forced/peer pressured into the Air Force mentality of "be a man and pound back alcohol"....it was fun at 19 in some ways , but not so much fun the morning afterwards and the affect on my bank balance too. By 1992, I was 27 years old, I had done 2 Ironmans and "old enough" to basically figure that the bogus 80's armed forces drinking culture was stupid and I did not need to partake, AND it was counter productive in the quantities that the military culture promoted to an athletic lifestyle. On top of that I had just finished my MBA at nite school during while time the Armed Forces bing drinking was dramatically reduced because I was in the classroom or group work and not in the pub....I quickly realized that all that military drinking machoness was pretty counter productive to everything I wanted to be good at: sport, academics and officership/leadership (you can't do that well when you are hung over and not totally coherent). So I put all that together and I just said, "this makes no sense for what I want to get out of my life"....it was easier to "QUIT" in the context of Armed Forces culture than to say, "no guys, I will only have one". I have never missed it for a day....I get more joy out of ice cream, a salad, a good Indian Thai or Chinese meal, of good espresso than I ever have from a drop of alcohol, so for me it is an easy decision. My wife likes a glass of wine with a special dinner (like tonite) and more power to her and everyone else who does. I wanted to share my context with you guys....we each have items in life that makes us happy and satisfied. If it is a bit of alcohol then great.

But if someone wants to cut it out largely or totally, hey, I will be the head cheerleader on the benefits. it really is awesome. In my tech company we were talking about the secret weapon of some of the top sales VP's who live the road warrior life. We noted a lot of them are fit and don't drink. The young sales guys with infinite expense accounts go nuts, but their performance is impaired. I was not in sales, but did several years of 120K to 150K of travel, and I am certain the attention that I paid to what I put in my body overall was additive to my performance vs the competition. I could always outlast or our hustle them.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timberwolf wrote:
ntc wrote:

Count me in.

Interesting article, somewhat related to the bolded: https://www.hammernutrition.com/...ance-gains-training/

Definitely reads a bit dramatic but I think it is on point. Probably starts at 10% and goes up from there the more you have. Thanks for the link.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
spot wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
spot wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Dave, there are many reasons why people drink, and there is no need to judge people if they do. But if they want to eliminate it, the better way is to support them about the benefits. A bunch of us have chosen alcohol free lives and for our values we have benefited. Others may value things differently or perhaps once exposed to alcohol free, they may change their values....I know I did....when I stopped it seemed weird to go to the pub with the guys and girls and order water and have the waitress look at you like you are an alien (keep in mind I was 27 in peak party years). My answer, "I am in your pub and you're bringing me water for free, because someone has to drive all these guys and girls who are up to the eyeballs in your booze and paying you tips, so just stop giving me attitude and give me my free water....thanks honey". Honestly at the time between the buddies calling me out for being a wimp and the waitress treating me like a loser, it was not really that easy, but I stuck to my new values. I had zero interest in alcohol, but like any 27 year old, also was interested in social acceptance and not being a total oddball (already doing triathlon and having shaved legs and bailing on parties at midnight for 6 am rides was bad enough).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never drink, so that is a non challenge for me. But good for you all
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great read Dev. Like your Arm Forces culture i grew up in a culture of alcohol. Wales and rugby and the Thursday night Saturday game day pissups. Its too easy in Okanagan to wrap EVERY social event to wine! The process to understand and adapt ones relationship with alcohol is an individual process. Its interesting for sure. And with a high radar to the culturalized nuances to alcohol when abstaining one can really learn what their relationship is. Reading your note suggests my reflections brings me to a happy place like your wife's. Wine is the accent to a great meal or a shared tip to a great friendship. Its not Tuesday night why not because work was tough!

Thanks for the dialogue. Thats what the thread is for.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply

Prev Next