Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was little, my grandfather would drag me around North Jersey on Sunday afternoons to visit his old foggie Princeton buddies. Invariably, when we'd get back in his old Pontiac, he'd say, as if it were the first time, "keep your friendships in repair." That's what you were doing with the friend just back from Chile in a manner suited to the situation. You have to know by now that reading these posts you see so many stories like yours, and for lack of a better term, "awakenings" like yours, where the personal and financial benefits of less alcohol surprises each of us.

Thanks for being a part of this. See you in Jan 19 for 4.0?

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Skipp80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting connection. Personally, I don't know if there's a connection between "night before" alcohol and the a.m. need to visit the woods that you describe but tons of runners/triathletes experience that phenomenon with running. I really respect a nutrionist named Asker Jeukendrup who's written a good deal on this. See if this from Jeukendrup http://bit.ly/2zaM0dJ regarding dietary choices doesn't help a little.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Ken W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken W wrote:
pvolb wrote:
Ken W wrote:
Made it through 8 days of the challenge with no issues. Big challenge tonight as my tri club is having its monthly meeting and the beer will be flowing freely. Will stick to club soda with a twist of lime. Curious as to whether anyone else has experienced weight gain since starting the challenge. The only change in my caloric intake is the elimination of alcohol (training volume has remained the same), and yet I am up two pounds since January 1. Would have thought that it would have gone the other direction.

May want to think about what you’re eating in comparison to what you were eating before. Often, when people take a break from alcohol, the carbohydrate calories are made up through snacking or larger meals that’d typically be gained through drinking. If you’re eating to the same full stomach feeling you’d typically get when drinking, you’re likely consuming more calories.

That said, 2 actual pounds requires a 7000 surplus over what you’re burning through exercise and BMR. Chances are pretty good you’re just holding onto more water for whatever reason and it’ll eventually stabilize.
The only dietary change since January 1 was the elimination of alcohol (in my case, wine). I have been drinking quite a bit more water, however, and so perhaps it's just water weight. I will note that my 61 year old body is still readjusting after its first full (IMAZ) in mid-November. Went from the mid 150s in October to 146 on race day and have slowly been gaining back the weight since the race. I was at 150 on January 1 and 152 today, so perhaps my body is just working its way back to a more normal weight.

Now at day 22 of the challenge with no issues. Weight seems to have stabilized (151.4 lbs this morning), which is good. Haven't seen any improvement in my sleep quality or energy level, but feel good and plan to stick with it at least through the end of the month (perhaps longer).
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still good after 22 days. I'm going to extend it to February 3rd... and then get smashed on Super Bowl Sunday. :-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't commented on this post previously, but have been a lurker-participant in the challenge. I was a fairly competitive age grouper years ago but stopped competing in triathlon for a variety of reasons I won't go into here. Last summer I was swimming laps casually and started thinking about how I still hadn't crossed completing an IM-length event off my bucket list and set out to complete one this year. I know this is going to take a lot of work and dedication so I've abstained from alcohol since the start of the New Year.

I can't attribute the improvements I've made over the last three weeks strictly to sobriety, as I've also been working to clean up my diet and be more consistent and focused with my training, but I'm pretty sure it's helped.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No real temptations this week. Skipped training on Friday and Sunday. But one of those would have been a rest day anyway. Weight is 204 now. One more weekend to go. Weight loss total is at 30lbs since last summer or about 30'weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm really happy with the decision to do this, and haven't been tempted to slip up. Like other comments, I have found substitute beverages to replace my after work and weekend beers. I'm starting to lean out in the midsection and my workouts are higher quality.

This has also had a snowball effect in that I am now eating very healthy overall. Not spending money on beer and beer-related outings is also a major benefit - now all that money is going to stocking up on fruits and vegetables. Shouldn't be any problem to make it to the end of the month, and I am going to try to carry this through the rest of the year, but I am certainly going to let loose on Super Bowl Sunday. Thanks everyone for the motivation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnpostmd wrote:
When I was little, my grandfather would drag me around North Jersey on Sunday afternoons to visit his old foggie Princeton buddies. Invariably, when we'd get back in his old Pontiac, he'd say, as if it were the first time, "keep your friendships in repair." That's what you were doing with the friend just back from Chile in a manner suited to the situation. You have to know by now that reading these posts you see so many stories like yours, and for lack of a better term, "awakenings" like yours, where the personal and financial benefits of less alcohol surprises each of us.

that's beautiful.. thanks John
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
End of the road for me; I could make a bunch of excuses but I won't. Other half was coming back from a trip away and I was cooking a nice meal; I told him to buy some wine on his way home to go with dinner. This Malbec is excellent!

Some good personal insight into how easy it is to drink because there's no reason not to.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The weekends have been really difficult for me but to now I’ve resisted. Have eaten healthily too and taken off 7lbs. Sleeping much better too.

Nearly there.....intending to keep to to alcohol only on a weekend going forward and targeting a three month alcohol free period before this years Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am actually enjoying the no alcohol January, so much so, I'm gonna continue into February. I'm sleeping better, there's more money for tri gear, and I've dropped about 8lbs (although I have increased the volume of my training in the last 3 weeks).

The first week was tough, especially in the evenings when my wife was pouring a glass of wine. Now it doesn't even bother me.

My go to drink is now ginger beer.

https://trigeek1969.blogspot.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [novaboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's great, good to hear. Bet you have a fair amount of company, too. Personally, I know that we have 4 days left. Not 3, not 5. At the restaurant with my adult kids last night, the ladies with cocktails and my 27 year old son with a Green Flash beer, and I'm the last to order. I could have very easily had a Green Flash too, and don't think I didn't strongly consider it.

My diet Coke was fine, I guess. And today, waiting for #2 UVA vs #5 Duke Basketball, the #1 offense in the nation vs the #1 defense in the nation, I'd love to go the local sports bar and have something on tap before, during, and after the contest. But won't. The point I'm making is to congratulate you on your success, a little easier for some than others. I would like to further congratulate those for whom this has been a struggle, but even they have found one small silver lining to the no alcohol month be it one hole tighter on the belt line to being told, "You know you stopped snoring this month?"

We're coming down to the finisher's chute of this endeavor, the Superbowl is just around the corner, keep up the good work gang! Oh, and, GO UVA!

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit anxious in social situations, and alcohol can definitely help. Without it, I struggled a bit to relax at my friend's house warming party this month.

I had dropped about one pound over the 1st 3 weeks.

I had dinner plans at a BYOB on Thursday and a corporate party planned for tonight, both of which I'd be more apt to enjoy with a glass or more of wine. Luckily (?) for me, I came down with a sineus thing that kept me home from work for 2 days and still has me caughing and congested, so those plans got postponned / cancelled = easy peasy alcohol free compliance. I did ponder though if taking NyQuil would get me kicked off the bus.

2 days in bed, pounding as much water as I could ingest, I'm down 4 lbs and I've nearly caughed my way to 6-pack abs.

Regarding sleep quality, I think I have slept through the night better. However my partner still reports that I sound like I'm dying, making these strangled breath sounds that leave him positive I must have sleep apnea. (Result of sleep study testing was no).

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went out to dinner with the wife and another couple. It was game on for them. I just drank water. Dinner was fine. Going out after was a little tougher but not bad. I got up at 6. Wife 10:00. Not too bad after the first week or so. Ext test will be the wife out of town and me being left to my own devices for a few days. :(
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
confession:
I failed.

Decided that it was not worth the occasional odd look in social situations and having an evening glass of wine with my wife every now and then is simply divine!

It was a learning experience and I am happy to learn that I perhaps reach for the drink too frequently and am more cognizant of that. And keeping it lighter has helped with sleep, no doubt. No weight benefit by cutting it down to 'rare' for frequency. I seem to love food a lot too. (BMI of 25 so it's not a real big problem...just sayin')

I support all who were able to complete the challenge thus far. Best of luck to the end!
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Failed. Made it to Friday. Wife and I (both on challenge) just decided we wanted to share a bottle of wine. It was amazing, but we only managed 2-3rds. Saturday we had the remaining third and a G&T. Hopefully we can have a drink tonight and then go dry most days during the week. So our challenge failed. No wait loss attributable to the alcohol (I am skinny anyway), just from increased training and better post exercise fuelling.

I don’t feel bad about failing. We don’t drink a lot, and the time off has given us both an appreciation of tonic water with ice and (for me) various alcohol free beers.

Good luck to those that remain!
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Misery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still in, and commitment to stay the course has grown stronger because of the benefits of not drinking. Biggest benefits I have seen are: self accomplishment of not giving in to drinking because I may be bored, saved money by not hitting the craft beers at my favorite hangout, slight weight loss, better workouts and recovery, and most of all the increased accountability to hitting every workout and not saying "screw it" and going to the bar.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice work.

And great job to all. We East coasters have less than 12 hours left. I must confess to thinking about the five o'clock somewhere Buffett line and opening that bottle of wine after dinner. Before we went to England to have a go at the Channel years ago, we set our clocks, watches, you name it 5 hours ahead days before we boarded the plane. I felt a little stupid but what a motivator! Might employ a similar mindset today.

Congratulations to all who made it, and to those nearly so. If you take a minute to scroll back through this thread, you see some people who only needed the least little bit of support to jump on board. We also saw those walking a really hard line not knowing if they could do this or not. If you are or know one of them, give them that extra clap on the back making sure that you don't put them in some type of social situation where they feel pressured. "Lead by example," as they teach you at Marine Officer Basic.

If you make it to Kona, stop by the pier on Friday or Saturday and say hi to the guy in the red hat - says Ironman Transitions on the front. Or if you see me walking around town, do the same. Maybe we could share a beer at Splashers. Maybe, more likely, we could share a Gatorade in the bike compound! Best of luck in all your racing and training in '18 and remember the "not too much too soon" mantra so you can stay away from your doctor. See you next year for No-Alcohol January 4.0.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was a great exercise! While I didn't really lose any weight (sigh), I did notice how much (1) better I was sleeping, (2) how much more quickly I was recovering from training, and (3) how making this good/healthy choice fueled me on to making other better/healthy choices in food, etc.

I'm thinking I'm going to stick with the no alcohol until my first race in March. Partly to see if I can finally get to racing weight (about 13-15lbs), partly to keep up the seeming training benefits of no alcohol, and also partly because I just want to see if I can. Hopefully in Feb, I can clean up my diet too...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John

Thanks for putting us up to the challenge. I admit, there were a few times I almost caved, but resisted.

Anyone want to join me in a February Challenge ?

Dbeitel
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't quite make it. I had two days. One when my friend was back and then again last weekend my wife and I went on a day date and went rock climbing. Then she wanted to go to a local brewery. I don't plan on staying completely dry in February but I think I've found a sustainable course to follow moving forward. I don't have a desire for frequent night cap like before. I'll probably continue to just a few days a month. Which by the way has made when I drink even more enjoyable. End results; No change in energy or sleep. Weight=191 lbs (down 4 lbs in a month). Saved a nice chunk of money. So, thank you all for the challenge I have enjoyed my failure.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks much for initiating this. Glad I did it and 3.0 was much easier than 2.0. I even sat through a NHL game last night with no desire to buy a beer. During intermission I did a walk around the stadium and it really struck me how many kiosks there were selling alcohol. I usually have a couple beers during a game and it was great to no longer feel obligated to drink, plus i saved about 20 buck. I will keep it rolling until after my next race this Saturday. see you next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh. Eight more days to go for me as I started January 8th. It's been interesting. I had no problem drinking a diet Coke at a networking event where everyone else was drinking. I don't think Superbowl will be an issue. But after some really rough days at work, coming home late, a martini or Negroni were really tempting. My basement fridge is full of craft beer and every time I opened it, it was there in front of me.
At my annual physical in December, three of my liver enzymes were elevated. My doc ordered additional blood work to rule out hepatitis and an ultrasound to rule out something physical. He told me to watch my drinking and retest in June. I'm going to retest after my 30 days and see if that made a difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Elvis Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good move on reducing the alcohol. If you haven’t already looked it up, the two most often tested enzymes (AST and ALT) are elevated due to muscle injury/breakdown from exercise, and other things, in addition to excessive alcohol consumption. It may be worth it to reduce exercise intensity significantly prior to your retest to possibly avoid any exercise induced false positives.

This has been covered in multiple lets run threads and is noted in scientific journals as well. It seems doctors rarely ask about physical activity when it’s quite possible that’s the culprit.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll watch the exercise right before the test. I don't think that's it though. But then again, I didn't think I was drinking that much either.
Quote Reply

Prev Next