Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Joe Skipper's IM Texas 4:10 Bike Split...best performance of all time?
Quote | Reply

Is this the best IM bike performance of all time? Joe Skipper's 4:10 at IM Texas? 304 W Average

https://trainxhale.com/session/81083/

Jackmott, how do you think that compares with Normann's 4:18 at Kona or some of Lieto or Torbjorn Sindballe's first to T2 performances in Kona?
Last edited by: devashish_paul: May 24, 15 17:09
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper's IM Texas 4:10 Bike Split...best of all time? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Is this the best IM bike performance of all time? Joe Skipper's 4:10 at IM Texas? 304 W Average"

don't let devon see that ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper's IM Texas 4:10 Bike Split...best of all time? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Starky's 4:02?
Raelert's 4:11 followed by a 2:40 marathon to set the fastest iron distance time ever at Roth 2011 (7:41)?
Kienle matching Sindballe's bike record (and only 2min off Stadler's still standing course record) last year to win the race?

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper's IM Texas Bike Split...best of all time? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which were the other 2 rides he refers to? Were they on accurate 112-mile courses? This one came a bit short according to his own tracker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone already said starky, think he has done low 4 a few times, check fla results
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper's IM Texas 4:10 Bike Split...best of all time? [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:
Starky's 4:02?
Raelert's 4:11 followed by a 2:40 marathon to set the fastest iron distance time ever at Roth 2011 (7:41)?
Kienle matching Sindballe's bike record (and only 2min off Stadler's still standing course record) last year to win the race?

I think Ralaert's don't match up (talking just bike split) only because of the Roth factor. Starky's 4:02 might be in the same class. Does Skipper's ride compare with some of the top performances in Kona. I think so.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper's IM Texas 4:10 Bike Split...best of all time? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the way, I changed the title to clarify my intent (best performance of all time). The splits are easy enough to measure.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper's IM Texas 4:10 Bike Split...best of all time? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"Is this the best IM bike performance of all time? Joe Skipper's 4:10 at IM Texas? 304 W Average"

don't let devon see that ;-)

You'd assume based on this bike data that Skipper's FTP is in the 380W range. Devon Palmer can go nuts with this, especially since he also out biked Lionel.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper's IM Texas 4:10 Bike Split...best performance of all time? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not even close. Single event as part of second tier race? C'mon man. We race TRIathlon, not bikesplitpalooza.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper's IM Texas 4:10 Bike Split...best performance of all time? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a guy at IMTX with a green Mohawk. Way more impressive as a stand alone aspect of part of a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper's IM Texas 4:10 Bike Split...best performance of all time? [Simple Stevie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simple Stevie wrote:
Not even close. Single event as part of second tier race? C'mon man. We race TRIathlon, not bikesplitpalooza.

Which forum are you on? This forum is about the race to T2!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike performance has gotta be inextricably linked to run. Granted, he had a solid run as well. However, there are probably a dozen triathletes, who, if you said the race was to T2 (not the finish line) could have gone faster. Pick any of the uber bikers. That course is fast!
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper's IM Texas 4:10 Bike Split...best performance of all time? [Simple Stevie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simple Stevie wrote:
Bike performance has gotta be inextricably linked to run.

ding ding, we have a winner. Devon's post wasn't much, but I suppose when you misread and mangle it, it's surprisingly offensive and memorable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Is this the best IM bike performance of all time? Joe Skipper's 4:10 at IM Texas? 304 W Average
https://trainxhale.com/session/81083/
Jackmott, how do you think that compares with Normann's 4:18 at Kona or some of Lieto or Torbjorn Sindballe's first to T2 performances in Kona?

Nope, not even in the top 10 all time. It might be the best bike performance at IM Texas 2015. I'm more impressed with Corinne Abraham riding 4:40:39. In fact half the womens field rode sub 5.
Last edited by: Pantelones: May 25, 15 3:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

To put this in context, Contador posted his numbers for a pre Giro training ride. 7:20, ~300W average, ~5000 meters of climbing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, lay off your anti-Euro course bias.

So some second-tier pro hammered the bike at IMTX. So? Next year none of us will remember, unlike Stadler, Sindballe or some of the other notable Kona performances. It won't become a household name. Not the same ballpark.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my opinion, would not make my top 5....

so many better performance:

Stadler twice in kona
Starky in florida is a better performance in my book
I put Thomas Hellriegel kona, imc etc...

for someone that can deal with the heat, texas was a very fast bike course.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I discount Starky's 4:02 at IMFL only because I was there that day and the course was weird. It was like we had good winds only, all day. Starky mentioned it in an interview as well. I have never come close to matching that speed for that power ever again, yes I rode it clean.

Also, the ride in question here, at IMTX, was short, about a mile or between 2 and 3 minutes at those speeds.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Last edited by: Jim Martin: May 25, 15 11:57
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper's IM Texas 4:10 Bike Split...best of all time? [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessartype wrote:

So some second-tier pro hammered the bike at IMTX. So? Next year none of us will remember, unlike Stadler, Sindballe or some of the other notable Kona performances. It won't become a household name. Not the same ballpark.

Wow, you're actually accusing me of anti Euro bias? I actually spend over a month over there per year, and actually am very supportive of the non US view of the triathlon world....go check the Faris thread for who is bumping that one. You're probably too new here to realize it. Sindballe, never backed up his fast bikes in Kona with anything. Stadler was in his own class and as Jonnyo said, so was Hellriegel and they both backed up the rides with runs strong enough to take the win. Kienle never got quite a good enough day as Stadler did in 2006, but if you put them head to head on today's equipment, I'd pick Stadler and Hellriegel over Kienle. Joe is young, so give him some time. Sure he is tier 2 right now, but isn't this exactly how guys move from Tier2 to Tier 1. In 1995, Thomas Hellriegel destroyed everyone at Lanzarote. No one knew about him, even though he was 6th at ITU world's in 1992. Then he destroyed the entire field in the fall in Kona and put 13 minutes into Mark Allen at T2 and took Allen 23 miles to close. I wouldn't dismiss Joe immediately as a Tier 2 guy. He beat a bunch of higher tier guys....I saw Ralaert, Rapp, Hoffman, Faris beaten by Skipper, so he did not do too bad.

I do think the top pros got to beat a lot of the headwind back to Woodlands though, but given that we have the power numbers the >300W average is solid. That's solid watts from a guy who is not that big. Check out the Texas top 10...looks like the 2 of the smaller guys occupied the top spots :

Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper's IM Texas 4:10 Bike Split...best of all time? [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessartype wrote:

Challenge races don't exist in Dev's world. He can't see past his Ironman bias.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper's IM Texas 4:10 Bike Split...best of all time? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If we're just talking bike course, then there are a couple of guys who rode Roth under 4h (as a team though) but still. Regardless of Roth being a tad short, it's definitely not flat and sub 4h there is amazing. I recall Steve Larsen commenting on the course after racing there saying things like damn that course is not flat.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper's IM Texas 4:10 Bike Split...best of all time? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yet another american will won't do anything special once the competition turn up.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper's IM Texas 4:10 Bike Split...best of all time? [ddave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ddave wrote:
Yet another american will won't do anything special once the competition turn up.

huh, what?
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper's IM Texas 4:10 Bike Split...best performance of all time? [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

To put this in context, Contador posted his numbers for a pre Giro training ride. 7:20, ~300W average, ~5000 meters of climbing

Link?

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper's IM Texas 4:10 Bike Split...best performance of all time? [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordano wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Link?

Contador tweeted a pic of his power meter after the ride. I don't have a link handy. Amazing for a 136 pound dude.
Quote Reply

Prev Next