Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Joe Maloy retires.
Quote | Reply
It appears that US Olympian Joe Maloy has retired from itu racing. Nice guy, great work ethic.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/...&aid=Aw8EEP2DMlI
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Maloy retires. [Craig P] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Craig P wrote:
It appears that US Olympian Joe Maloy has retired from itu racing. Nice guy, great work ethic.

He wasn't that old so he could have had a heck of career going forward but I can respect anyone's decision to leave the sport. Professional sport in triathlon is incredibly challenging. The rewards for most come from within and if you are no longer getting that then it is easier to step away.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Maloy retires. [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Craig P wrote:

He wasn't that old so he could have had a heck of career going forward but I can respect anyone's decision to leave the sport. Professional sport in triathlon is incredibly challenging. The rewards for most come from within and if you are no longer getting that then it is easier to step away.

I first met Joe at the 2013 South Beach event.....introduced himself after I finished....nice guy. But, it doesn't appear he's leaving the sport....just the brutal ITU traveling circuit. Maybe, I'll run into him (not literally) at a local event this summer.
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/..._campaign=user-share
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who is Barry Shepley going to lust over during the bike portion now?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Maloy retires. [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Craig P wrote:

Not sure if he's leaving entirely...isn't he on the Super League roster?
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Maloy retires. [splashrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
splashrunner wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Craig P wrote:

Not sure if he's leaving entirely...isn't he on the Super League roster?

Outside of next weekends event on Hamilton Island, appears the Super League won't get going again until October. Lots of time in between to figure out an event schedule. This year, Philly, NYC, and Nations will have small prize money OLY distance races.
Last edited by: gphin305: Mar 10, 17 16:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Incredibly wise for such a young guy.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Maloy retires. [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
such a vague retirement... not clear what he is actually doing next, nor why he gave up when he is at peak level (he won alcatraz!)
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Maloy retires. [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
such a vague retirement... not clear what he is actually doing next, nor why he gave up when he is at peak level (he won alcatraz!)

I took it that he was being vague specifically because he doesn't know what exactly he wants to do next. I don't think this is all uncommon among high level athletes. High level athletes are so used to pouring their blood sweat and tears into being better and spend so much time doing it that often they can struggle with finding the next thing. I think part of it is because at some point the mind doesn't want to go on, or for some it is the body, and they spend some time making sure things are definite and not just part of recovery from an extra hard year or in this case the end of the Olympic cycle.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That email reads a bit like refrigerator magnet poetry.

That is a bummer as a fan of the sport - while he wasn't always the highest finishing US guy, he was the most well-rounded athlete and seemed to still be improving. He also raced hard!

I wonder if he'll do any more non-draft racing or if this is a firm retirement. I also wonder if he'll get the itch once 2020 gets closer.

Good luck to him any way it goes.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Maloy retires. [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
But, it doesn't appear he's leaving the sport....just the brutal ITU traveling circuit. Maybe, I'll run into him (not literally) at a local event this summer.
I sure hope so.... It would be great to change up the Webber vs Duffy thing, even if it means the rest of us battling for even fewer scraps. ;-)

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Maloy retires. [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This arrived in my inbox this morning....

Good morning,

As part of our continued North American growth efforts, and to better serve our clients and consultant relationships, we are pleased to announce our newest Global Evolution team member.

Joe Maloy has joined Global Evolution as an Associate working with our business development and client service team for our growing North American business. Joe received his BA and MS degrees from Boston College where he was a four-year member of the swim team. Joe continued to pursue athletics following university and became a professional triathlete competing for the 2016 U.S. Olympic team in Rio de Janeiro, where he was the top American finisher. He has represented the US in 21 countries over the course of his career. Joe retired from professional competition in 2016 to begin his career in asset management. Please find Joe’s contact details below for future reference and another point of contact with Global Evolution.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Maloy retires. [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does "Global Evolution" have anything to do with triathlon???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Maloy retires. [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:

Nope. Its an investment firm. He is in client service/distribution i.e. sales.
http://www.globalevolution.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Maloy retires. [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1poseur1 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Nope. Its an investment firm. He is in client service/distribution i.e. sales.
http://www.globalevolution.com/

Ah, I see, thanks. Sounds like he's really retired then. Thanks for keeping us updated!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny. I don’t know him other that hearing his interviews and as I was listening to him on TRS I was thinking I should reach out to him about a business development role my firm. I’m in private equity so not excactly where he ended up but pretty close. He’s going to do well.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Maloy retires. [bigredrude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bigredrude wrote:
Funny. I don’t know him other that hearing his interviews and as I was listening to him on TRS I was thinking I should reach out to him about a business development role my firm. I’m in private equity so not exactly where he ended up but pretty close. He’s going to do well.

Interesting...thanks for this info.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
synthetic wrote:

I took it that he was being vague specifically because he doesn't know what exactly he wants to do next. I don't think this is all uncommon among high level athletes. High level athletes are so used to pouring their blood sweat and tears into being better and spend so much time doing it that often they can struggle with finding the next thing. I think part of it is because at some point the mind doesn't want to go on, or for some it is the body, and they spend some time making sure things are definite and not just part of recovery from an extra hard year or in this case the end of the Olympic cycle.

I was thinking about this subject on the commute today - that is the "transition". I like to work with athletes, former or otherwise. Especially those who were on teams.

I think that athletes (amateur or former pro) make great additions to business. The qualities of discipline, strength, character, hitting benchmarks, dealing with adversity, mental sharpness ..etc etc. However, there are missing pieces in terms of transition or channeling the +ve's to other work:

1. education/training
2. work environment.

High-level athletes typically gave up school, which is a big issue imo. And I wouldn't slot into roles that require a fixed clock. Any other ideas?

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did a few rides with him over the spring and summer (boston area)
He was def job hunting and despite being able to still drop us all at anytime, he wasn't really training ie.done w tri.
Super super kid. Well spoken. Humble. Really enjoyed the time with him.
daved
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Maloy retires. [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
synthetic wrote:

I was thinking about this subject on the commute today - that is the "transition". I like to work with athletes, former or otherwise. Especially those who were on teams.

I think that athletes (amateur or former pro) make great additions to business. The qualities of discipline, strength, character, hitting benchmarks, dealing with adversity, mental sharpness ..etc etc. However, there are missing pieces in terms of transition or channeling the +ve's to other work:

1. education/training
2. work environment.

High-level athletes typically gave up school, which is a big issue imo. And I wouldn't slot into roles that require a fixed clock. Any other ideas?

I wonder the same thing. Honestly I think about a lot of athletes, especially ones that have been in the sport for so long and never had a real job.

Being an athlete usually means you have a burning desire to compete which is a worthy quality but the lapse in education and real skills has got to be hard to transition.

I was an automation engineer out of college before transitioning to a sales roles with the same company. I feel like I could never go back to engineering, I feel like going back to sales would be much easier but the reality is that I could probably do both it just feels like I am so far removed from engineering. Sure the skill set is the same but the tools are so different.

It is has something I have considered post triathlon, helping people find jobs. I would honestly like that and I truly understand how hard it is to have your entire life purpose in triathlon and then one day not have it at all. You need to focus that energy in a different direction and find a new purpose.

Being an Olympian is a nice resume build. I am sure Joe will be great!!!

Quote Reply