Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Joe Friel: Polarized Training Update
Quote | Reply
Saw this on twitter, I like the summary and the breakdown of the intensity levels.

Quote:
So what did the researchers find out when they tested the athletes after the 9 weeks of training and compared the results with their pre-tests? The group of subjects who showed the greatest physiological and performance benefits were in the polarized group. Their VO2max increased, on average, 11.7%. Their time to exhaustion on a ramp test increased 17.4%. Peak velocity (running or skiing) and peak power (cycling) improved 5.1%

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/...training-update.html
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Friel: Polarized Training Update [vancity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here you have a link to the original article

http://journal.frontiersin.org/Journal/10.3389/fphys.2014.00033/full

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No surprises there.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Friel: Polarized Training Update [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you believe one HIIT session per week each of bike and run is appropriate for a triathlete?
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Friel: Polarized Training Update [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For most one will be enough on the run as hard running takes longer to recover from and if you're also doing one long(er) run it will probably be the most you can fit in. On the bike you could feasibly do more, but there is no right or wrong answer. But it is key to not forget the high intensity side of polarized training, it's not just easy all the time, otherwise you will be doing just the HVT (high volume training) mentioned by Friel, which led to no improvement for the (already-trained) athletes in the study.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand that this is how Renato Canova trains his kenyan runners
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Polarized training seems to be getting more attention. For those interested this thread is a good reference.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Polarized_Training_-_Interesting_Lecture_Video__P4931310/

Quote Reply
Re: Joe Friel: Polarized Training Update [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The money shot:
http://www.frontiersin.org/...ys-05-00033-t002.jpg

I was shocked as to how different the results were between POL and HVT. One thing I'd point out, though, is that POL actually had more training hours than HVT so....
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Friel: Polarized Training Update [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The polorized approach isn't new. It's how Olympic and world championship endurance medal winners trained in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.

It is only in recent times that people who don't win the medals abandoned what works.

Today most medals are still won by the athletes using the polorized approach.

Lydiard's approach was polorized, he had his athletes doing very intense intervals, not just long steady distance.

It should be noted that in this study, heart rate was used to control the intensity of the training - even the cycling training.
Last edited by: Richard H: Nov 1, 14 6:35
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Friel: Polarized Training Update [Richard H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lie hw Friel points out that no one approach is best. It depends on experience, phase of training and type of event. You might even mix the method in different blocks.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

What kind of swim workouts do you do in a polarized model ?

In all the charts you see skiers, runners, rowers....everyone but swimmers.

I am guessing swimmers spend a lot of time at or slightly below threshold.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Friel: Polarized Training Update [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

What kind of swim workouts do you do in a polarized model ?

In all the charts you see skiers, runners, rowers....everyone but swimmers.

I am guessing swimmers spend a lot of time at or slightly below threshold.

Olbrecht trains his swimmers withe the polorized approach and is anti doing threshold work.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Friel: Polarized Training Update [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
I lie hw Friel points out that no one approach is best. It depends on experience, phase of training and type of event. You might even mix the method in different blocks.

Good point.

I would add that elite Olympic or world championship media lists are full time athletes. They have the time to train in a polorized way, in fact if you train as many hours they do there is a limit to how much high intensity they can do.

The polorized approach is as much the result of the number of hours available and what is possible to recover from, as it is a training method.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richard H wrote:
The polorized approach is as much the result of the number of hours available and what is possible to recover from, as it is a training method.

Maybe not, that long lecture video did reference one study done on time limited athletes and polarized still got better results.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Friel: Polarized Training Update [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Richard H wrote:

Maybe not, that long lecture video did reference one study done on time limited athletes and polarized still got better results.

Is that the Stephen Seiler video?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah.

Richard H wrote:
jackmott wrote:
Richard H wrote:

Is that the Stephen Seiler video?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Friel: Polarized Training Update [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO, swimming is more skills related than fitness related esp relative to most triathletes fitness level. So for most of us the focus should be stroke & streamlining improvement and that takes time.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Friel: Polarized Training Update [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Richard H wrote:

I'm a big advocate of polorized training, but then I have had some success doing sweetspot as well doing less than an hour a day.

http://www.nasvik.se/loadeffect.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
No surprises there.

you lost me at "Joe Friel"

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Friel: Polarized Training Update [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
Staz wrote:
No surprises there.

you lost me at "Joe Friel"

Actually, "Joe Friel" is exactly what drew you into this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>The polorized approach isn't new. It's how Olympic and world championship endurance medal winners trained in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.

Yes and no. There's long been the concept of varying training intensity over the time period of weeks/months/years.. Bompa, et al. But this more specific definition and analysis is interesting nonetheless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Friel seems to be saying that the "easy" part of polarized training needs to be essentially L1 (no L2), which sounds silly to me. If I remember correctly, Seiler's definition of "zone 1" includes much of L2 and, for some people, maybe even a bit of L3.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Friel: Polarized Training Update [Hookflash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Friel uses a 5 zone model and Seilor a 3 zone
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Friel: Polarized Training Update [toolbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toolbox wrote:
Friel uses a 5 zone model and Seilor a 3 zone

Yes, I know. Friel is saying that Seiler's "zone 1" = Friel/Coggan L1, and that Coggan's L2, L3, and L4 would all be part of Seiler's "zone 2." I think he might be wrong about this.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Friel: Polarized Training Update [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
The money shot:
http://www.frontiersin.org/...ys-05-00033-t002.jpg

I was shocked as to how different the results were between POL and HVT. One thing I'd point out, though, is that POL actually had more training hours than HVT so....

i'd be interested to know how something like TP TSS would score these different training programmes - hours are obvious and significant to the practicality for most of us but benefit relates most closely to something like TSS (which is also relevant to recovery ability) so what is the improvement/TSS ratio?

also interested by the contrast from this to the popular sweet spot training which seems to be similar to THR
Quote Reply

Prev Next