Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Jim Ryun is now history, new record on mile (spoiler)
Quote | Reply
At Pre Classic Jakob Ingebrigtsen 16y ( born September 2000) ran the mile in 3.58.07.
Youngest ever to run under 4 minutes.
Last edited by: Halvard: May 27, 17 14:34
Quote Reply
Re: Jim Ruyn is now history, new record on mile (spoiler) [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could at least spell Jim's name correctly. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Jim Ryun is now history, new record on mile (spoiler) [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
youngest American, or youngest ever?
Quote Reply
Re: Jim Ryun is now history, new record on mile (spoiler) [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing race by him, expect great things from him! Nice to see a fellow Scandinavian take on the Africans. Kwemoi ran well also, look out mo

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Jim Ryun is now history, new record on mile (spoiler) [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
youngest American, or youngest ever?

Youngest ever. Not American, Jakob is Norwegian.
By the way, this was Jakob's first mile run ever.

Good day for the Ingebrigtsen brothers. 2 x 3.53 and 1 x 3.58.
Last edited by: Halvard: May 27, 17 16:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was amazing. I was a miler in HS. It is just incredible to see a 16yr old go so fast. May he have a long, happy, and successful career.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kudos to that kid for running so fast! Amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i love running. since high school ive loved running and have remained pretty passionate about it until even now as a 51 yr old.

To do that just once. to run in a race like that. If a gennie offered me wishes, I think I would spend one of them running 1500 in an olympic final with a chance to podium.

sweet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget "Big Jim" did it with only high school competitors...in heavy shoes...and on dirt.
Nevertheless...this kid is probably the greatest talent since.
Quote Reply
Re: Jim Ryun is now history, new record on mile (spoiler) [Bernoullitrial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bernoullitrial wrote:
Don't forget "Big Jim" did it with only high school competitors...in heavy shoes...and on dirt.
Nevertheless...this kid is probably the greatest talent since.

Well, this was Jakob's first ever mile run. 3.58.07 on a first try as a 16 year old is quite good.
He will run his second mile at Bislett in June. Then he also will lift up on his training. How fast he will run on home soil will be interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with you...he is a "Super Talent"...
I ran a 4:08 at 16yrs and fully realize what a Sub 4 takes...
My biggest issue is that I am uncertain if he has the psychological capacity to do what it takes to do what Ryun did..
Today few kids do...to much social media.
Quote Reply
Re: Jim Ryun is now history, new record on mile (spoiler) [Bernoullitrial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bernoullitrial wrote:
I agree with you...he is a "Super Talent"...
I ran a 4:08 at 16yrs and fully realize what a Sub 4 takes...
My biggest issue is that I am uncertain if he has the psychological capacity to do what it takes to do what Ryun did..
Today few kids do...to much social media.

You know he has two brothers also running at Pre today. Both running 3.53. Jakob is also European u-20 xc-country champion.
I think he is better prepared to international running than anyone.

He could take the easy route and run against boys his own age. But he is choosing to get beaten by faster runners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any interesting motto's on his vest like #fuckthapolice ? or did he save that for his social media post?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like Bislett will be exciting. I looked it up. Looks like there is a very promising young Norwegian 400m hurdler, Daphne will be there and Andre Degrasse too. Oslo would be a very cool place to live.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: May 28, 17 6:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bernoullitrial wrote:

I ran a 4:08 at 16yrs.....

That's really awesome man, wtg. I only had 1 good track/cross country year in college, my freshman year, and I still didn't run that fast. Did you continue running thru HS and then into college?

I started college in 1980. There was only 1 running scholarship at Purdue and that wasn't me. I was a "walk-on"....only useful enough to get a locker and uniform. The guy on the scholarship had run a 4:04(?) in HS and that was a helova lot faster then me. I did not envy, however, the pressure that was on scholarship guy to do well each weekend or risk his scholarship.

I got crushed by the high mileage expectations of that era. After only 2yrs of running I was suddenly expected to do double-daily runs that totaled 100mi/wk. I was a kid. I didn't know anything about training, nor about over-use injury prevention and treatment.

Looking back, at age 54, I marvel now that I was able to recover from each workout fast enough to be fresh for the next one. It would now take me a month to run that kind of mileage and recover from each run.

http://www.runnersworld.com/high-school/four-reasons-why-more-high-schoolers-are-running-sub-400

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: May 28, 17 6:27
Quote Reply