Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Jeff Symonds?
Quote | Reply
Did anyone watch his interview on IronmanLive? Hilarious.

"did you ever expect to podium today?"

"absolutely not!"

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds? [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is the pride of Penticton, BC
He can ALWAYS be found in the Bike Barn (LBS) sporting compression sox and eating some sort of huge sand-which !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeff Symonds is a great kid, we watched him gut out a 5th place at longhorn last year and we are really excited about his third place today!

Wife wrote an interview/profile of him after he stayed with us in Austin for the race:

http://austintriathlonstore.blogspot.com/...-1-jeff-symonds.html

anyone got a link to the interview?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Sep 11, 11 15:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never met him, but see him out at many of the local BC races and he seems like a really sweet guy.

So happy for him. What an incredible race he put together. Just absolutely killed it!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats to your wife on a great article! Great to see another Canuck on the scene

-----------------------------------------------------------
"No more hurting people - Peace"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will be fun to watch him at IMC next year....unless this weekends result ends up changing his plans..

-----------------
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds? [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeff rocked it today. Congratulations. Hung in there in a very deep and tough field. Stayed close and then unleashed a wicked fast 1/2 marathon to move up to third.

I did the race announcing at the 5K Run that is run before IMC 2 weeks ago and Jeff ran 15 min flat there and he looked like he was jogging.

Awesome talent. Big possibilities. Great heart and great attitude.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An amazing performance that clearly surprised himself. Good for him. Sounds like he deserves it.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huge props to Jeff for that. That is simply a massive achievement, don't think it will be his last though.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds? [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's not just a great athlete but a really nice guy as well. The night before IMC I noticed my wetsuit had a tear and I forgot to bring my repair kit. I swung by the Bike Barn just as they were closing. They didn't have any AquaSeal but Jeff offered to drive down to his place and bring some rubber cement down. He went out of his way to help a stranger. I can't think of anyone more deserving of a podium finish and one day I hope we'll see him on the podium at IMC and Kona as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The IMC fun run was hilarious. Chatted with him after, asked if it was hot enough - good vegas training, and recommended not wearing the BB cotton tshirt. Seems he took my advice! :)

Great job Jeff!

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw this kid come out of NOWHERE today to get third... Steadily kept moving up the field... I was wondering "who the hell is this kid in the terrible looking bike barn kit...." I thought he was getting lapped until I realized he was moving faster than almost everyone else....

Awesome Job! Good to see people make a name for themselves on a big BIG stage

http://www.triandcatchme.com
https://twitter.com/kevintaddonio
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds? [kevintaddonio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got to spend a fair amount of time talking to him post race before he finally had enough hydration in him to go with the USADA dude for his drug test. He had the biggest smile of anyone in the field. He was totally pumped just being drug tested. Sitting between Lieto and Alexander, he just seemed like a Canadian kid in a fairy tail press conference in between Gretzky and Lemieux. He said, "man, I think my life just changed"....and it probably did!!!

Nice work by all his Penticton based tri mentors. Big day for Canada when a kid puts down a run split like that!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And speaking of his name, maybe the triathlon press will actually start pronouncing it correctly.

It's "Symonds... rhymes with Diamonds". Bright and sparkly. Like his future!

And to think that he originally wasn't going to race worlds. I'd say that was a fairly good choice ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope his life will change. We've been bugging him for a while to get a web site up and running and make himself 'marketable'. Afterall, his educational background is in marketing :) At least he has blog but it needs updating.
There's no one that doesn't like Jeff. He's the most down to earth guy you'd ever meet. I'm happy all his hard work paid off. Congrats to his coach, Kevin Cutjar too.
We'll have to plan a party for him now!
Marty
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was wondering "who the hell is this kid in the terrible looking bike barn kit...."

hahahah. i was thinking the same thing.

Dan Meehan
Coach / Athlete
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if the inspiring Rappstar is one of Jeff's "Penticton-based tri mentors"?

-----------------------------------------------------------
"No more hurting people - Peace"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a much better post race video. Was awesome to see him round the corner in 3rd and to see his finish line happy dance. He has really earned it. 3rd place to two of the best in the world and he is over 10 years younger then them. He has been living lean for few years. Hopefully now he can afford to really hit the pro circuit and launch a great career.

------
Scott McMillan, M.Sc
Twitter@Factor9Coaching | Factor9Coaching.com | Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds? [Scott McMillan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wrote a substantial piece about him in a Bleacher Report article recapping the event last night:
http://bleacherreport.com/...nds-shakes-up-worlds
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Yesterday was an unbelievable race for me. I never could have imagined that things would play out like that when I woke up.

Rappstar and his wife Jill have both been huge in helping me get to where I am. There meticulous attitude and approaching everything from an "is this decision going to make me faster" sense is something I have tried to emulate. However the mentors I was referring to was my coach Kevin Cutjar, of Endurance Planner, and local pros Tom "Dr. Tommy" Evans and Jonathan "JonnyO" Caron. Our Pool was shut down for 14 months this past year due to renovation which meant Jonny and I spent the entire time car pooling to Summerland and doing workouts during public swim hours. I was fortunate enough to take advatange of these car rides and pick his brain on everything that triathlon encompasses. Jonny has been struggling with a knee injuries but I think 2012 will be a big year for him.

I have also spent a lot of time on Slowtwitch so I feel like everyone on here has been a mentor in some way.

Once again I appreciate everyones support and I look forward to continuing to represent Slowtwitchers and Penticton on the world stage.

Website - Follow Me On Strava - Follow Me On Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds? [Symonds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats again! Superb race.

Wish you the best going forward.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Jeff! Enjoy the victory and keep the momentum going!! Wishing you all the best, as you continue to grow 'your brand' and represent Oh Canada! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next