Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Jaybird Blubuds X reliability?
Quote | Reply
Hi
I am on my third set of Jaybird Bluebuds X. I am the only one here having issue with them? They are pretty awesome when they work, but I am getting worry that it might not be as reliable as I would like them to be.

I am very pleased with the functionality, battery life, comfort, ...
They are supposed to be lifetime warranty against sweat, but when you dig into the review it seems like they don't resist the heavy sweater.

I use them exclusively for doing indoor roller, and I don't know anyone who sweat more than I do...
arghhh :(
Quote Reply
Re: Jaybird Blubuds X reliability? [zambony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope.

I killed a set of bluebud Xs - within about 4 bike rides, RMA'd them and the next set died only a little longer. Had a similar experience with the sprints, but those seem to last about a six months. I only use them for inside riding and watching TV at night without disturbing the wife.

Both the sprints and bluebuds are sitting on my desk while I decide if it's worth it to RMA them again.
Quote Reply
Re: Jaybird Blubuds X reliability? [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weird. I've had mine over a year (maybe right when they launched the X) - and still going strong.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Jaybird Blubuds X reliability? [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
Weird. I've had mine over a year (maybe right when they launched the X) - and still going strong.

+1 here

Not sure if I'm lucky or if everyone else is a huge sweater or more destructive with their equipment. I even washed mine by accident once and they still work...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first pair of the Bluebuds X lasted ~9 months. Second pair was ~6. Third pair was ~4. Fourth pair was ~2.5. My 5th came in the mail a week or two ago. I used to use them 5 times a week, but anymore it's more like 2. Sweaty death every time. I wear them with the cord bundled up and over the ear so the little control box is much closer to my head. The first couple pairs would start working again after sitting in a small bag of rice for a few days. The last two couldn't be saved at all.

The customer service is getting worse too. The first time it took only a couple minutes to get an RMA and they sent a new one out within a day of receiving it. It took a full 5 days before they gave me an RMA on this last one and another 4-5 days after they received it to send another one out. Plus, they shipped to the wrong address the last two times. I have an account with my address plus you have to give them your address as part of the return process. Somehow they put a completely random zip code and city on the first time it was shipped somewhere weird. The second time it went to a neighbor down the street and I tracked them down.

Honestly, there are better options for the money now. Especially when you factor in the price to ship them back every few months. Now two years ago, they were the best out there...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a set for a few months now and had no issues with them. Have gotten caught in a few monsoons with them and put them through many hours of sweat in the heat lately too. Battery life was poor initially, but seems to have improved; I think the temperature outside has something to due with this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've bought my first set last fall, only use them on the trainer or rollers. I don't know how many hours I've used them off the top of my head but October through April I didn't ride outside and rode 3-5 days a week, typically 4-6 hours for the week. They've help up fine so far.

As for sweat, I wear a standard run-of-the-mill head band when inside and have two fans blowing on full so I'm not pouring with sweat either. I find the headband most useful for keeping sweat away. On longer rides I'd have to wring int out a few times, but never any problem with the Jaybirds.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Jaybird Blubuds X reliability? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just used the live chat function on their website and got my RMA number right away

2 interesting things:
- He recommend putting electrical tape over the junction box when sweating a lot
- Bluebud X2 will be release soon and will have a better battery.

looking forward!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zambony wrote:
I just used the live chat function on their website and got my RMA number right away

2 interesting things:
- He recommend putting electrical tape over the junction box when sweating a lot
- Bluebud X2 will be release soon and will have a better battery.

looking forward!

Yeah, chat was down last time they went bad. It literally took 24 or more hours between each of several emails to finally get an RMA. I re-pasted the same info from the initial message each time. It was like my messages weren't even being read and they were following a script.

I shouldn't have to fix $160 headphones with electrical tape. The battery life is already awesome. Maybe the X2 will finally be as 'sweatproof' as they advertise.
Quote Reply
Re: Jaybird Blubuds X reliability? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what is the best option now?

I was sure they were the perfect solution when I read that they are lifetime warranty against sweat; which has cause me a lot of issues in the past. I have destroyed a lot of electronic (MP3 reader), headphones, bike headsets (one per year), aluminium handlebar, cables and housing (even gore ride pro fully sealed!).

For now, they react fast and send them for free so I'll keep doing it for a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had similar experiences to others here. Had one pair that lasted about a year and finally stopped working. Got them warranteed and the new pair worked for about 2 weeks. Got a 3rd pair and it worked only once. On my 4th set now and it has been going strong for about 8 months without a hiccup. It seems that when you finally get a good set it will last about a year. Kind of sucks since I'm 8 months in on this set, I will have to go through the whole process again soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Jaybird Blubuds X reliability? [dbikelink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to comment on how I've had zero issues in the past year but I'm afraid I may jink myself.

Quote | Reply
For sure it has. I had to have mine replaced late last year. While talking to them they said there "life time warranty" really means two years but they would replace them this time because I complained enough.

I'm hoping this pair doesn't crap out on me super quick because I sure like using them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I was able to wear mine out... I have a different problem with them, bought them a month ago and can't even get them to stay in my ears! Apparently I have really small ear-holes lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Jaybird Blubuds X reliability? [ironmanjp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm having just recaulked a bathroom, could you cover them in a light coating of clear caulk? Maybe this is a really dumb idea, just a random thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Jaybird Blubuds X reliability? [ironmanjp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you get the Comply ear pieces that Jaybird recommends?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No your not the only one. I had two go out within 1 year so I gave up as I was disappointed with them and I am not a heavy sweater but used them with running and biking

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had mine for over a year and only use them occasional.
I use it on the treadmill, trainer or Concept2 rower - indoor use only.

During the past few weeks I noticed that after training they switch on and off repeatedly and auto dial the last call on my phone.
It behaves like the center button is stuck. Once they discharge the problem goes away until my next training session.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Jaybird Blubuds X reliability? [sub-3-dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
*knock on wood*
My lattest set is lasting so far. I wonder if the V2 is an improvement over the version I have. Reliability for heavy sweater was a known issue...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm about to get my third set. First two lasted almost a year a piece, RMA process was (and still is) the easiest thing I've had to deal with. I suspect sweat killed them both, but I don't really care. They're swapping my Xs for X2s this time around at no additional cost.
Quote Reply
Re: Jaybird Blubuds X reliability? [VGT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for letting us know. I was wondering if they will do the upgrade or not. Nice that they stand behind their product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I created this thread when my last set broke. The replacement set they send me just broke this morning.

:(

edit: 10h42, got my RMA number after speaking with live representative. They'll upgrade me to the X2 model. apparently they improved the sweat resistance of "X" and "X2"

looking forward for the new model.
Last edited by: zambony: Dec 21, 15 7:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got my X2 yesterday (I am in Canada) for free. I went on the live chat during the holidays to followup on my order, it made things going a little faster I think

I cannot tell the difference with the previous model yet, but I love them. I was told that the regular version and X2 have a special nano coating now, and the reliability should get better. Time will tell
Last edited by: zambony: Jan 20, 16 5:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fwiw I went through several sets of the Jaybirds, the set I have currently still works, but I went looking for other solutions and purchased a set of the MPOW seals for $30...have only had them a couple of months but they seem to be a good alternative and a LOT cheaper. Great seal/comfort (better than the Jaybirds), 7 hour battery life (have not tested it for 7 hours but have ridden with them for 4 hours, Jaybirds regularly quit after 2).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't tell too much difference between the X1 and X2, the battery life on the X2s is better, but don't now if that is just because they are new. The comply foam tips are quite nice though.
Quote Reply

Prev Next