Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Jax Tri Series - Fernandina Beach
Quote | Reply
Doing the olympic on June 20.

Has anyone else done this race? If so, I'd love to hear about your experience, thoughts, etc.

Thanks.

amm
Quote Reply
Re: Jax Tri Series - Fernandina Beach [amm77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it last year, and should be there for the June 20 race this year too.

The swim was reasonably calm and seemed to be the correct distance. Not wetsuit legal.
Fast bike ride. Flat and you pass a lot of people doing the sprint, so big slingshot effect. Minor annoyances are the numerous roundabouts you have to go through and there are some cars that can slow you down a little.
The run was HOT. Last year I only remember there being two aid stations (it seems like that can't be right) and no ice or sponges.
It was the worst run leg I've ever had (I wound up being fairly sick the next day, so part of what I was feeling may have just been the cold coming on).

All in all a fun race, and I'm looking forward to trying it again. My main goal is to have a reasonable run this time around. I think I will run with a water bottle and take some other heat related precautions.
Quote Reply
Re: Jax Tri Series - Fernandina Beach [rickthebrick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks man. This is some really helpful feedback. I read something online about aid stations every mile of the run. Hopefully that pans out. Did you feel that there were adequate safety precautions taken by the organizers?
Quote Reply
Re: Jax Tri Series - Fernandina Beach [amm77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I felt safe. My car concerns were about getting stuck behind them for a little bit rather than getting run over.
Quote Reply
Re: Jax Tri Series - Fernandina Beach [rickthebrick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would also like to hear any reports from this race. I am signed up for the sprint (my first in the ocean) so any tips on the swim would be most helpful - Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Jax Tri Series - Fernandina Beach [AXELLE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is only my third tri. But my experience with the ocean is that there's really nothing that can prepare you for it, including open water swims.

Make sure you get acclimated to the water at least 5-10 minutes beforehand if there's an opportunity.

Don't run into the water and then try to swim. You'll likely be immediately exhausted. My first tri, I made that mistake and only after reflecting on it later did I realize that you never run to the pool and start swimming, so you probably shouldn't do it for your first ocean race either. Not worrying about being at the front of the pack and perhaps staying a little to the side helps with this.

Don't panic even if you start to panic - it will go away. It's actually a normal physiological response at the beginning. Something having to do with (1) the adrenaline from the race telling your heart to speed up and get oxygen flowing to the muscles and (2) the fact that the water hitting your face sends a signal to your brain that you might not have a lot of oxygen coming, which in turn causes your heart to want to slow down and conserve oxygen flow. Just breathe normally and recognize that you're already well-prepared and everything is going to be fine. And if all else fails, just employ my fiance's technique of singing in her head "or would you rather be a fish? Now a fish is an animal..."
Quote Reply
Re: Jax Tri Series - Fernandina Beach [AXELLE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the weather is the same as last year, you will be fine. The chop was really a non-factor. And people seemed relatively spread out so not too much contact at all (at least in the Olympic).
Quote Reply