Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Jaw surgery
Quote | Reply
Just had surgery yesterday after i got into an accident with my bike last week.

I am fortunate that I didn't get my mouth wired shut but do have elastics on.

Has anyone had experience training in a similar situation to this before? Any recommendations?

Im guessing biking on the trainer wont be difficult but im curious about running and swimming. Any input is appreciated!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/4391866

Quote Reply
Re: Jaw surgery [jsaunders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your question is too open ended for any one person to answer. We can't judge your breathing for you and how your jaw feels day-to-day.
I broke my jaw many years ago and had it wired shut for 6 weeks; didn't do a damn thing during this time.

Why don't you take this time to polish up on your Zone 2 training.
You won't be breathing hard or stressing too much of your face.
Just do what you feel comfortable doing.
If you push it one day and it hurts, well, don't do it again until your fixed.
Quote Reply
Re: Jaw surgery [dude_ranch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea I left it open ended so I could see what other peoples experiences were like and what they did, if anything.

I appreciate the advice. I think I may pick up an exercise band as well so i can try and mimic some type of swimming movement.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend had jaw surgery last December. She is a very good masters swimmer, and spent a couple of weeks not doing flip turns because of it - the pressure on her head was the issue maybe, or the speed/impact from pushing off the wall - so you might be careful with those.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Aug 27, 15 14:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsaunders wrote:
Just had surgery yesterday after i got into an accident with my bike last week.

I am fortunate that I didn't get my mouth wired shut but do have elastics on.

Has anyone had experience training in a similar situation to this before? Any recommendations?

Im guessing biking on the trainer wont be difficult but im curious about running and swimming. Any input is appreciated!

I broke my jaw in two places when I was playing Australian Rules football. Lost 10 kgs in 4 weeks, couldn't eat anything but soup. No training for 4 weeks, but mine was a pretty nasty break.
Like you, I wasn't wired shut, but had elastics on. Horrendous injury...
Quote Reply
Re: Jaw surgery [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea it's definitely not the most comfortable situation but I somehow only managed a broken jaw, gashed chin with stitches and some road rash from the accident. Could have been a lot worse !

Good news was my bike was 100% ok somehow!

Quote Reply