Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Jammed Big Toe
Quote | Reply
Sunday was doing last 20 miler before marine corps marathon on 10/26. at mile 15, tripped and fell and jammed foot. finished the run in great pain. Went to foot & ankle ortho and had X-rays. no breaks - whew. doc said i jammed the bones in my big toe. it was very swollen then. he told me to take mobic (anti-inflammatory) and to ice and gave me a hard insert for my shoe so that my big toe doesn't flex. he said to try to run by the end of the week.
the race is three weeks away - anyone else ever jam their big toe by a fall? did you run on it? can anything serious happen if i do - i know it will be painful, but could i do further damage? how long to clear up?

thanks for any advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Jammed Big Toe [VA guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this happened to me recently. Not sure if it was just a jam or a dislocation because I never went to the doc. I had a commuter bike chain derailment during a standing effort and I think I drove my toe right down into the street. I could not push off on the toe when walking for weeks and extremely sensitive to touch/impact on the tip of the toe. I definitely could not have run 5 miles immediately afterward so consider that with my recovery story below.

I took ten days off completely then resumed not too gradually which resulted in some very sore legs due to an awkward gait. This is probably your biggest risk. If your stride feels funny, stop. For me, the toe itself did not hurt too much during the runs nor was it any worse after so I did not think there was risk that I was doing further damage. I could deal with the soreness since I was not racing. 18 days after the injury I had my first pain-free run and followed that with a 16 miler a week later. However, now ten weeks after it is not 100% and still affects my gait a bit.

I think you are in pretty good shape since you were planning to taper anyways and you gave it (professional) medical attention right away, unlike me. Good luck.
Quote Reply