Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
It's on.....IM 70.3 Dubai
Quote | Reply
Scheduled for 29 January. Perfect time to get out of Euro or North America winter hell, do a bit of racing, go for a shopping spree and go for a ski at ski Dubai (yes, and I realize that there was a Challenge race here last year)

http://www.ironman.com/...i.aspx#axzz3qj45FQdF

Anyone race there last year? You can pretty well fly there direct from any major city on earth.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: It's on.....IM 70.3 Dubai [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you want to know ?

Strange weather that day.
Swim was rough out, could've been issues, course changed on the morning, think they got lucky.
Bike very very windy on return leg.
Run, up and down new beach running track.

Seen much much better handled and ran local races.

Weather will be perfect for PBs.
Quote Reply
Re: It's on.....IM 70.3 Dubai [mrbungle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrbungle wrote:

Swim was rough out, could've been issues, course changed on the morning, think they got lucky.

Would the water be no wetsuit that time of year or wetsuit for age groupers? What range for air temps? I assume you can cab from airport to race venue hotels? Hopefully they don't see my Indian background skin and banish me to a labour camp for a construction project, but aside from that, am I good to go....one more thing. I have a Canadian passport that previously has a stamp from Israel in it. I know for some Arab countries, I pretty well need to get another passport. What about Dubai? Anyone in the know?

It's been like 45 years since I was in nearby Abu Dhabi on a refueling stop from London to South Asia on a BOAC VC-10 (you have to be pretty old to even remember those airplanes if you are a aviation buff and remember that BOAC is British Airways):

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RAF still flies tankers VC10's to refuel fighters
Quote Reply
Re: It's on.....IM 70.3 Dubai [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
RAF still flies tankers VC10's to refuel fighters

That is awesome to hear....flew in the VC-10 to Abu Dhabi from Heathrow in 1970! It's why I got into the air force in the first place. I love watching the Emirates A380 landing in Toronto airport. When my flight lands from SFO and disembark, its usually around the time that A380 from Dubai lands in Toronto. Been wanting to ride in that thing and this race in Dubai might just be the excuse since there are no other A380's coming into Canada (that I am aware of).

Pretty cool....the VC10, designed in 1962 still holds the London to NYC subsonic speed record: 5 hours 1 minute. That's a good day at a tough hill half IM like Zell Am See!

Damn, I am hijacking my own thread....back to 70.3 Dubai.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 6, 15 8:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
mrbungle wrote:

Would the water be no wetsuit that time of year or wetsuit for age groupers?
We tend to swim with wetsuits that time of year, Dec-March, only cos we've come accustomed to being colder at warmer temps !!
I have friends that go speedo all year round. Water hovers around 22C.

What range for air temps?
Temps early morning 12-13C/low teens, maxing out high 20's 2-3PM.
Your enemy for this time of year is likely wind and this will of course depend on the bike course.

I assume you can cab from airport to race venue hotels?
Cab from airport to likely hotel venues approx $25-30.

Hopefully they don't see my Indian background skin and banish me to a labour camp for a construction project, but aside from that, am I good to go....one more thing. Should be fine on this, I'm the same, couldn't care less !!

I have a Canadian passport that previously has a stamp from Israel in it. I know for some Arab countries, I pretty well need to get another passport. What about Dubai? Anyone in the know?
Should be ok on this, haven't heard anything dodge about it or any watch outs locally. For Saudi its a def no no.
Local webpages saying you're good to go.

It's been like 45 years since I was in nearby Abu Dhabi on a refueling stop from London to South Asia on a BOAC VC-10 (you have to be pretty old to even remember those airplanes if you are a aviation buff and remember that BOAC is British Airways):
I remember of these and BOAC from books only though !!

Finally beware that it is expensive here, food, beer, etc.
You have been warned !!

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those old birds were FAST: in 1961 a DC-8 (issue running same RR engines of the VC-10) broke the sound barrier...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will there be a flyby at the start by the Jetman duo?
Quote Reply
Re: It's on.....IM 70.3 Dubai [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:

Anything is possible here!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mrbungle wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

If they have a ski hill in Dubai, I have to agree that anything is possible. Now we need them to just build an Alp D'Huez magnitude climb on the bike course and we are set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mrbungle wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Speaking of anything possible in Dubai, I just watched the jetman duo guys. Just thought I would paste an image in this thread. Messick needs to hire these guys....maybe at Kona too!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strangely has nothing to do with Emirates, its an advert for XDubai.

The branched off from SkyDive Dubai and this is the first promo !!

Still impressive though. ps: Book a SkyDive over the Palm Dev if your sticking around and into that stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Scheduled for 29 January. Perfect time to get out of Euro or North America winter hell, do a bit of racing, go for a shopping spree and go for a ski at ski Dubai (yes, and I realize that there was a Challenge race here last year)

Anyone race there last year? You can pretty well fly there direct from any major city on earth.

Dev

Not to hijack the thread, but IM Euro announced this race the same time it announced 70.3 Estonia, 70.3 Rome and IM Civitavecchia, but those are not on the IM website. Any clues as to why? Just takes time to migrate to the IM platform?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my wife is going to be livid - I think I'm going to London the weekend before and I might do this weekend after
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Dev

At the risk of seeming non-PC, why would anyone want to spend any time in the Middle East (ME), home of Terrorism, Inc??? In all probability, some portion of your total expenditures will go towards financing terrorism one way or another. F**k that, I'll never ever go the ME unless I'm deployed there on combat duty, with weapons and full battle rattle. Those people can kiss my mother-f**king ass.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: It's on.....IM 70.3 Dubai [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Dev

Not to hijack the thread, but IM Euro announced this race the same time it announced 70.3 Estonia, 70.3 Rome and IM Civitavecchia, but those are not on the IM website. Any clues as to why? Just takes time to migrate to the IM platform?

Might be cos IM 70.3 Dubai is in Jan 2016 the others are likely June 2016 onwards->
Quote Reply
Re: It's on.....IM 70.3 Dubai [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Dev

At the risk of seeming non-PC, why would anyone want to spend any time in the Middle East (ME), home of Terrorism, Inc??? In all probability, some portion of your total expenditures will go towards financing terrorism one way or another. F**k that, I'll never ever go the ME unless I'm deployed there on combat duty, with weapons and full battle rattle. Those people can kiss my mother-f**king ass.

Yawn....and it took 15 posts for this crap to start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
actually he started it in another one the other day..........

i'm in, only issue I've got is I've not really done any training since June..........
Quote Reply
Re: It's on.....IM 70.3 Dubai [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your stuck for any local info, just msg me and I'll fill you in.

ps: am Irish lived here a few years and raced here since 2011, know a small bit !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i live near by, been here for 5 and spent a little to much time there which almost always gets messy.......... Where's swim and run finish - thinking about where to stay?
Quote Reply
Re: It's on.....IM 70.3 Dubai [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
i live near by, been here for 5 and spent a little to much time there which almost always gets messy.......... Where's swim and run finish - thinking about where to stay?

Keep us posted on logistics etc and developments. If you stay at race venue is there a lot to do around there (restaurants etc). Did you guys secure the Jetman duo yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, the a380! i got to fly sfo-fra last year on the lufthansa upper deck. loved it. very quiet. and the live cameras are great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The course isn't up, so I've no idea where it is, hopefully someone else can chip in, a local with a better idea.

If I were to guess I'd guess its in the Jumeirah Beach area but that is just a shot in the dark - which whilst it runs quite a distance from the Burj to JBR - its so easy to get about and there are a ton of places to stay.

It is significantly cheaper to stay on the "wrong side" of Sheikh Zyed and walk across to the water front.

I will wait to see where it is before booking accommodation, but I don't think we're going to have a problem with rooms.

In terms of things to do - cabs are cheap, uber or normal cabs running meters, and aside from rush hour, getting about is pretty quick and painless and if you're really open minded, they even have really good public transport with the metro and there was a tram going in the last time I was there. (and a canal which is bonkers but..........)

Once you're out and about there are really great restaurants and its well worth seeing the Burj Khalifa - I had the best meal of my life in it for my 40th birthday at a Indian restaurant, and then its just taking on board an entire city built around the concept of being a hub and spending cash...........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Won't be doing this one, but i'd put this down on my short list of races to do (since I "destination" race). I'm guessing it's a really well done race!!
Quote Reply
Re: It's on.....IM 70.3 Dubai [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rome mayor has resigned a few weeks ago upon corruption accusations, so there could be some political issues with those races in Italy
Quote Reply

Prev Next