Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
It's official - Michael Phelps at trials
Quote | Reply
Psych sheets for trials are out now.

100 fly. 200 fly, 200 IM, 100 free, 200 free.

No 400 IM

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: It's official - Michael Phelps at trials [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He probably stopped taking bong rips so chances are he will be slow now :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't think he ever planned on swimming the 400 IM. Based on what he said last weekend I am surprised he signed up for the 200 free.
Quote Reply
Re: It's official - Michael Phelps at trials [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, but there was some speculation that he might swim it. He confirmed last week that he'd be swimming 5 events, but wouldn't say what they were. I'm guessing, of course, but he might have been deciding between 4IM and 200 free.

BTW, Lochte is "only" entered in 6 events at Trials.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guesses on which events he qualifies for games?

200 fly and 200 IM, gets put on the 400 free relay.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: It's official - Michael Phelps at trials [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You think he's not going to qualify in the 100 fly? Really?

He'll make the team in 100 fly, 200 fly, 200 IM, swim prelims only in the 100 and 200 free and go fast enough that he'll be a coach's choice for the 400 and 800 free relays. He'll also swim the fly leg in the medley relay.

ETA - I think he posts the #3 time in the 100 free, #4 in the 200.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jun 22, 16 10:47
Quote Reply
Re: It's official - Michael Phelps at trials [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, I think the 200IM is the event which he'll have the hardest time in to qualify. If he's on his game, there's no other americans even close in fly.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder why he wouldn't go for the 400IM. Seems like an event that would suit him especially at this point in his career...
Quote Reply
Re: It's official - Michael Phelps at trials [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because he hates it. I truly believe that he hates that event, and finishing 4th in London gave him an out.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting - Phelps' club is still listed as North Baltimore.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of the pros with Bob in Tempe are NBAC. Recognition for the home/original club, pain in the ass to switch clubs mid season, etc. I think Bob and Michael still own some of NBAC and/or their pool.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: It's official - Michael Phelps at trials [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 400 IMs on the first day of a long meet? If you have ever done that before you know exactly why he is not doing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I for sure agree - as soon as I realized my long course potential did not lie with the 400IM I got the hell out. The older you get the harder it is.

I think Lochte's 400IM in London took too much out of him to perform up to expectations for the remainder of the meet. Especially in light of the way he was strength training like a strongman, not a swimmer. Will be interesting to see how it goes for him (Lochte) this time around swimming under Marsh, not Gregg Troy.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree w/you on all counts. But I was thinking of a long shot that he would maybe swim the prelims of 4im, because he always said he likes to swim on the first day. Oh well, shows how much I know...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that he has to swim the 200 free to make the relay. 400 IM was really never an option, he has said that for a long time now, and it makes total sense for his program and goals.

And not sure who the guy was who had him left out of qualifying in the 100 fly, what is he smoking? What the hell does he have to do to go in as the favorite, doesn't he own the fastest time in the world this year, in a nothing meet he used to show up the worlds? Even with a bad start or turn, or both, he probably still gets 2nd, but then he will have to swim off in the olympic prelims to make the relay team. Or coach could just put him on, but that could be dicey..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He wants on the 4x200 relay, and his Grand Prix times in the event this year weren't quite fast enough for the Olympic team coach to just put him on the finals squad under the 'any available swimmer' clause in USAS' Olympic selection policy. So he pretty much has to drop a decent time in Omaha to justify putting him on the relay.
Quote Reply
Re: It's official - Michael Phelps at trials [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only way Bob doesn't put phelps on the medley relay is if he swims a 54 in rio. That's probably the only spot on the entire team that isn't open.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But lets just say in trials Phelps swims 50.9 but gets 2nd to someone who goes 49.9. How do you not at least say we decide in Rio? WHat do you think some guy would have to do to earn that spot on the relay? Now if both guys swim 52 high and Phelps got 2nd, then there is a good case to just put him on the relay. But what about my other scenario?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I think that he has to swim the 200 free to make the relay. 400 IM was really never an option, he has said that for a long time now, and it makes total sense for his program and goals.

And not sure who the guy was who had him left out of qualifying in the 100 fly, what is he smoking? What the hell does he have to do to go in as the favorite, doesn't he own the fastest time in the world this year, in a nothing meet he used to show up the worlds? Even with a bad start or turn, or both, he probably still gets 2nd, but then he will have to swim off in the olympic prelims to make the relay team. Or coach could just put him on, but that could be dicey..

Textile wr was 50.40 (Crocker, 2005) and phelps swam a 50.45 at nationals last summer.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, OK. But there aren't any other Americans right now capable of a 49.9. If someone does that at trials, I'll eat my shorts.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 If someone does that at trials, I'll eat my shorts. //

Well that is well and good, but do you now put that guy on the relay? Every trials there are a few out of this world swims, and a couple young people that step out of the shadows. I agree the 100 fly isn't usually one of those events, but you just never know. WHat about this kid that is going close to 18 flat for the 50 SCY free? Most of those sprint freestylers can also spring fly. This is the exact kind of person that could swim out of his head with it all on the line, so young that they are growing faster every day still!!

My real question is does Phelps make top 2 in the 200 free. I know he plans to swim one of the top 2 times once he is on the relay, and most likely will, but does he do it at trails to actually make the team. And if he does get top 2, does he really want to swim the event, or will he pass it to 3rd place?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dressel? I like dressel, but there are a couple of guys I think are more likely to challenge for the other spot in the 100 fly (conger, Giles smith).

My bold 100 fly prediction is that Tom shields doesn't make the team.

In your unrealistic hypothetical, yes, you put the other guy on the relay in the final, but phelps still swims the prelims.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the 200 free, I think he's just swimming prelims. If he's the 1 or 2 seed going into finals, he'll take the time to bob for relay consideration and scratch.

He doesn't have a great chance at medalling in the 200 free in rio, and he knows it. I think the 200 free is the same day as 200im ( not sure, I'll have to check), so he'll try to save some matches.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was the women's event I was thinking of.

200 free doesn't really conflict with anything for phelps at trials, finals are same day as 200 fly semi's.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is anybody going to trials?

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply

Prev Next