Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
It's not my fault! (De Soto T1)
Quote | Reply
if i were you guys i would think this is terribly contrived. so i'm letting you know about this in advance. you're going to see an ad show up (i know this because the ads just came across my desk). the ad is for 40 percent off de sotos for slowtwitchers.

i got a call from emilio de soto late morning, or early afternoon, about running ads. which never happens! i don't know if we've ever hosted de soto ads. maybe. anyway, i think he thinks he has a head of steam up. (perhaps he'll post to this thread.) i wrote a review of his T1 suits, i explained that the first wave was going to be the subject of a 40 percent off sale (because i asked directly, he answered).

i guess he figured no time like the present. make hay while the sun shines. if my ad coordinator chris gets these ads up promptly (as he usually does) you'll see them directly.

and for the record, i have no ad campaign from TYR either! so if you see TYR ads tomorrow or the day after or something, there were no emoluments! (god i love that word.)

in fact, i'm not sure that i have any ad campaigns from any wetsuit companies right now. well, except for this one i just got.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Feb 13, 17 16:21
Quote Reply
Re: It's not my fault! (De Soto T1) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
if i were you guys i would think this is terribly contrived. so i'm letting you know about this in advance. you're going to see an ad show up (i know this because the ads just came across my desk). the ad is for 40 percent off de sotos for slowtwitchers.

i got a call from emilio de soto late morning, or early afternoon, about running ads. which never happens! i don't know if we've ever hosted de soto ads. maybe. anyway, i think he thinks he has a head of steam up. (perhaps he'll post to this thread.) i wrote a review of his T1 suits, i explained that the first wave was going to be the subject of a 40 percent off sale (because i asked directly, he answered).

i guess he figured no time like the present. make hay while the sun shines. if my ad coordinator chris gets these ads up promptly (as he usually does) you'll see them directly.

and for the record, i have no ad campaign from TYR either! so if you see TYR ads tomorrow or the day after or something, there were no emoluments! (god i love that word.)

in fact, i'm not sure that i have any ad campaigns from any wetsuit companies right now. well, except for this one i just got.

I don't think it is contrived. You have pay the bills. Frankly, you could probably monetize this site way beyond what you do. I don't really follow the pricing model of DeSoto, but 40% off seems like a pretty good price off to me and you are doing your readers a legitimate service by doing that. Heck, I think I paid full price for my Water Rover way back in the day.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: It's not my fault! (De Soto T1) [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you for the kind words, just, i woke up one day and realized i had absolutely no wetsuit advertisers for the first time pretty much in history. (i think i'll have them; i just don't at the moment.)

so i thought, this is a darned good time to write all the wetsuit reviews for 2017, specifically because i have no wetsuit advertisers to please (or disappoint).

further, this is a good time to kind of put up a fuss. if you read the TYR review you'll see that their return policy has changed as a result of all of this, and i have two more queries out to wetsuit makers about their return policies (i'm waiting to hear back before i write about their wetsuits).

so all in all i'm happy with the result so far.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
...in fact, i'm not sure that i have any ad campaigns from any wetsuit companies right now...

Ironic that I read your post with a Roka Wetsuit ad just below your text
Quote Reply
Re: It's not my fault! (De Soto T1) [RobInOz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Ironic that I read your post with a Roka Wetsuit ad just below your text"

you're right. leftover from the end of the year. i'll see if i can get that taken care of quickly. let me know if you still see it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good God, why did you inflict a Water Rower on yourself?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I don't think it is contrived. You have pay the bills. Frankly, you could probably monetize this site way beyond what you do. I don't really follow the pricing model of DeSoto, but 40% off seems like a pretty good price off to me and you are doing your readers a legitimate service by doing that. Heck, I think I paid full price for my Water Rover way back in the day.

I still have, and use, my water rover

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: It's not my fault! (De Soto T1) [altayloraus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: It's not my fault! (De Soto T1) [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

I still have, and use, my water rover[/quote]

What do you use that bad boy for these days. Arctic swims?[/quote]
When I try to swim in the lake I live on and its like 52 degrees

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can believe it.

Having spent the last two decades above the water before getting back into it, the Water Rower remains the most useless piece of rowing kit I ever encountered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty and I have been pretty equal swimmers for many years. He wore his Rover for an OW swim race that had separate divisions for wetsuit and skins. Since we both wanted the awesome trophy, but not beat each other up, he elected to wear his Rover, and I went skin. I got out through the surf pretty quick, but at about 200 yards this dolphin in heat shot past me -- Monty in his Water Rover. I could only laugh as that thing made him look huge (yuge?), but man was he fast in it. (We both got our trophies)

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: It's not my fault! (De Soto T1) [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
Monty and I have been pretty equal swimmers for many years. He wore his Rover for an OW swim race that had separate divisions for wetsuit and skins. Since we both wanted the awesome trophy, but not beat each other up, he elected to wear his Rover, and I went skin. I got out through the surf pretty quick, but at about 200 yards this dolphin in heat shot past me -- Monty in his Water Rover. I could only laugh as that thing made him look huge (yuge?), but man was he fast in it. (We both got our trophies)

I did some anecdotal testing, the main problem is that I was getting so hot in the suit. The suit was much hotter than 5mm. I am sure Monty has a much more efficient stroke than mine.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
HalfSpeed wrote:

I did some anecdotal testing, the main problem is that I was getting so hot in the suit. The suit was much hotter than 5mm. I am sure Monty has a much more efficient stroke than mine.

What water temps where you swimming in the WR in? I loved the WR for cold water swims. For warmer stuff, a thinner one works better. And for real warm stuff,
no wetsuit is the best. So, each tool has their place.

Quote Reply
Re: It's not my fault! (De Soto T1) [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
HalfSpeed wrote:

What water temps where you swimming in the WR in? I loved the WR for cold water swims. For warmer stuff, a thinner one works better. And for real warm stuff,

Too warm. The waters of Wisconsin in the summer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Too warm. The waters of Wisconsin in the summer.

Well, I swam in just a jammer and as I recall, just a tad cool, but not bad, so I'm guessing between 65 & 68 degrees. And, while I can't speak for Monty, he may have overheated and slowed as I finished up hardly a minute behind him over the 2.4 mile course.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dan, we have advertised with you before, but I can see why you would forget. You work with many brands and we do not have the budget that other companies may have. And yes, it was a No-Time-Like-The-Present thing.

Because a few PM's have come to me asking where the ads are located on Slowtwitch, I have included them below. They all share the same code that will get you 40% off any and all of the T1 Wetsuit models on our website. This offer is valid through this Saturday.

We are happy to help anyone with sizing. Email me: emilio@desotosport.com.
If you are female and prefer to communicate with a female, then email: tracy@desotosport.com.

Send following info and we will respond with a size recommendation:

HEIGHT
WEIGHT
CHEST (measured as the largest part of circumference right over the pectoral muscle)
WAIST (circumference measured at the belly-button line)
HIPS (circumference measured at the widest point, not just at your hips. typically this will measure just a few inches below your hips bones and around the largest part of the glutes)

One final thing to note: We offer 30 day no-questions-asked guarantee, and a lifetime warranty on T1 Wetsuits that covers everything that other brands do not. In fact in the 17 seasons we have been selling wetsuits, not one single customer has ever paid for a repair.

I hope you will give us a try.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Re: It's not my fault! (De Soto T1) [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"but man was he fast in it."

it should have been illegal in a buoy swim.

but legal in the paddleboard race. as the paddleboard.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still use my water rover for practice swims in colder water. Only have the top, wish I had a bottom too.
Quote Reply
Re: It's not my fault! (De Soto T1) [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if it's because your suits are made so well, but my T1 I bought in 2008(?) still is in awesome shape today.
The logos and stuff have come off a little bit, but that's about it.

And don't take off the top before you reach the change tent at a triathlon in Germany... it will get you a yellow card. Doh!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emilio wrote:
One final thing to note: We offer 30 day no-questions-asked guarantee, and a lifetime warranty on T1 Wetsuits that covers everything that other brands do not. In fact in the 17 seasons we have been selling wetsuits, not one single customer has ever paid for a repair.
I put this to use when I bought a T1 wetsuit with a very short window before Alcatraz. I needed to go down a size on the bibjohn and Emilio and his service guys really did an awesome job turning that around quick enough for me to use the new suit in the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I reached out to Emilio yesterday for suggestions on sizing for the T1 as I felt I was in between 2 sizes. He called me today personally and was super helpful in helping me with my decision. I just pulled the trigger on the T1 First Wave Bibjohn and the T1 First Wave Concept 5 Pullover with this awesome 40% off code. Thanks again Emilio for all of your help today! Looking forward to a faster, more comfortable wetsuit swim!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was the Tiki Swim in Oceanside, which has its own rules.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we're running these ads where and as we have available space. these were kind of ad hoc. where we have the MOST space right now is on the main site (not the forum), those big 970x250 ads at the bottom:

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thank you Emilio...I have a new T1 on the way...looking forward to putting it in play soon...
Quote Reply

Prev Next