Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Isn't Angela Naeth a Canadian citizen?
Quote | Reply
http://lavamagazine.com/...-2015-kona-handicap/

Quote:
Angela Naeth (USA) 32-1
The lone rookie to make the top-eight cutoff for the women is the reigning Ironman North American champ, who has many believing she’s the best hope to end America’s 20-year championship drought on the women’s side. Her 8:55:18 finish at a scorching day at Ironman Texas ranks as Radde’s third best Ironman performance of 2015. Naeth’s 4:41 ride in Texas was plenty impressive, but she’ll have to improve on her 59-minute swim and 3:09 run if she wants to be in the mix with the six women with better odds to win. Naeth’s name only appeared on four ballots but she was selected to finish fifth or better three times.

She lives in the USA but she's still Canadian as far as I know. Nice job, Lava.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Post deleted by gregf83 [ In reply to ]
Re: Isn't Angela Naeth a Canadian citizen? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Australian Triathlete magazine made the same mistake too. She debunked that on twitter. She's Canadian.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there's a lot of pro triathletes who live and train here in the U.S., at least part
of the year.

Maybe Lava goes by the last known address.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shhhhh....we'll take her.
Quote Reply
Re: Isn't Angela Naeth a Canadian citizen? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Shhhhh....we'll take her.

Agreed!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually Lava may be right. She married an American. Dual citizenship.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dual only if you actually has gone through the process. Has she?

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Isn't Angela Naeth a Canadian citizen? [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
America does not recognize dual citizenship. Canada will still recognize someone as being Canadian but the U.S. Makes you rescind allegiance and citizenship. There's no "dual citizenship process" to apply for in America. Canada would still hono(u)r her Canadian citizenship, which is how you end up with "dual"

I'm guessing even if she applied for citizenship she could still race for either country without being kicked out of Merica.

Source: I've done it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Actually Lava may be right. She married an American. Dual citizenship.

I just read an article from last December in which she stated she was still Canadian and had no plans on becoming an American citizen.

Quote Reply
Re: Isn't Angela Naeth a Canadian citizen? [Furious D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.wikihow.com/...in-the-US-and-Canada

http://thelawdictionary.org/...an-dual-citizenship/

Also source, my wife. And my sister in law. Oh and my cousins.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Isn't Angela Naeth a Canadian citizen? [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct -

Canada still recognizes you as Canadian, US only recognizes you as American and can confiscate your passport if you have both at the border.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Furious D wrote:
Correct -

Canada still recognizes you as Canadian, US only recognizes you as American and can confiscate your passport if you have both at the border.

I don't see that anywhere in here:
http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-and-dual-nationality/dual-nationality.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Furious D wrote:
Correct -

I don't think you are right. Do you have a source for that? I'm a naturalized American with 2 other nationalities. At no point in the naturalization process did the US seem to care about other nationalities.

Basically, if you have US citizenship, you have to pay US taxes, regardless of where you work in the world (tax equalized if you're paying elsewhere obviously), and that's really all the US govt cares about. That's why you have to volunteer to give up your US citizenship if you apply for another nationality. It won't be lost automatically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IIRC, she's the pride of Prince George, BC. Rough town to grow up in...

Angela is racing superbly, but given the competition, a podium spot will be tough!
Quote Reply
Re: Isn't Angela Naeth a Canadian citizen? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably first off the bike. Easily top 10. As for the rest we'll just have to wait 2 more days to find out..... (Unless she crashes again or takes a wrong turn again or something,. Bad luck follows her at world's.)
Quote Reply
Re: Isn't Angela Naeth a Canadian citizen? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Probably first off the bike.

So you are predicting Daniela crashes out of the race or has a mechanical?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. Predicting she will be second off the bike. :p
Quote Reply
Re: Isn't Angela Naeth a Canadian citizen? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:

So, you've been smoking crack this morning?
Quote Reply
Re: Isn't Angela Naeth a Canadian citizen? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Furious D wrote:
Correct -

I don't think you are right. Do you have a source for that? I'm a naturalized American with 2 other nationalities. At no point in the naturalization process did the US seem to care about other nationalities.

Basically, if you have US citizenship, you have to pay US taxes, regardless of where you work in the world (tax equalized if you're paying elsewhere obviously), and that's really all the US govt cares about. That's why you have to volunteer to give up your US citizenship if you apply for another nationality. It won't be lost automatically.

This is way off topic now, but it is directly in the Oath of Renunciation and Allegiance that you have to swear in order to gain US Citizenship. In the eyes of the US you are only a US citizen who pays US taxes no matter where you live. In the eyes of Canada you are still Canadian, but only pay taxes if you reside/work there. This is why when you enter the US you can only use your US passport. If you enter Canada, they will take either.

http://www.uscis.gov/...nited-states-america

"The principles embodied in the Oath are codified in Section 337(a) in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), which provides that all applicants shall take an oath that incorporates the substance of the following:
  1. Support the Constitution;
  2. Renounce and abjure absolutely and entirely all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which the applicant was before a subject or citizen;
  3. Support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic;
  4. Bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and
  5. A. Bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; or
    B. Perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; or
    C. Perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
easy there, people are allow different opinion without been on crack......

that s what life is about. A very long shot for angela to catch Daniela....but as long as ou tow the line...you have a shot...

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strange, i have a friend with 3 passport. Canadian, irish, USA. and it has never been a issue.

he as never ask to give away anything. Maybe i should ask him for more info on this...

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

So, you've been smoking crack this morning
?

x2

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Isn't Angela Naeth a Canadian citizen? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
easy there, people are allow different opinion without been on crack......

that s what life is about. A very long shot for angela to catch Daniela....but as long as ou tow the line...you have a shot...

Daniela is a better swimmer and the best cyclist in the field.
Saying Angela is going to come from behind and pass to beat Daniela off the bike is IMO delusional.

And yes, the caveat is that Daniela doesn't run into any problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah - I remember that in the oath, but it seems to conflict with the link that M~ posted above, and reality.
Quote Reply

Prev Next