Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Island Lava Java in Kona closed...
Quote | Reply
and moved to a much larger place 200' away. :-)

I ran this morning down Ali'i Drive and saw that Lava Java was closed down and was like "NO!!!!!!!!!!!" Then 10 seconds later all was well when I saw the new location.

Ate there for breakfast after the run. They moved to the new space about a month ago. Two floor structure. Second floor not open yet. The first floor area already seats about 3x as many as the old spot.

Island Style Pancakes = yummy.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Island Lava Java in Kona closed... [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good breakfast but even better dinner.
Quote Reply
Re: Island Lava Java in Kona closed... [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:

Dinner at the Thai place next to the old Lava Java location was the best. Best pre race meals of my life...sunset, Thai food, Kona coast. Can't beat that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like they should have done this years ago, if it were available. The past few years I have been there it is always a line outside, and you can see people just walk up and leave because of the wait and lack of seating. This is one of those business's that have to strike when the iron is hot, probably get 80% of their business in a 2 month period. They would leave a lot on the table during those months.

Now hopefully they hire enough people to work the new space, be a shame to have all that room and still have to wait in line!
Quote Reply
Re: Island Lava Java in Kona closed... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
logella wrote:

Dinner at the Thai place next to the old Lava Java location was the best. Best pre race meals of my life...sunset, Thai food, Kona coast. Can't beat that.

My wife and I were wondering if that Thai place was any good. Thanks for the recommendation. There's another Thai place further up Ali'i near the Bubba Gump Shrimp. I wonder how that is.

Quote Reply
Re: Island Lava Java in Kona closed... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Seems like they should have done this years ago, if it were available. The past few years I have been there it is always a line outside, and you can see people just walk up and leave because of the wait and lack of seating. This is one of those business's that have to strike when the iron is hot, probably get 80% of their business in a 2 month period. They would leave a lot on the table during those months.

Now hopefully they hire enough people to work the new space, be a shame to have all that room and still have to wait in line!

Granted it's not Ironman WC week but it's Memorial Day weekend plus there was an Outrigger regatta and a Hawaiian Islands baseball tournament going on in Kona. So it was fairly crowded and there seemed to be plenty of staff.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They have the best (and biggest) cinnamon rolls on the weekends. You have to get there early before they sell out, but they are really worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw the clickbait title and brain went full Darth Vader nooooooooooooo!

Wait a minute.... Google maps has them a block in from Ali'i. They no longer have the ocean view? :( Is that right? Looks like they are sharing the building with Evolution Bakery. (BTW great gluten free and vegan breakfast at that bakery.)
Quote Reply
Re: Island Lava Java in Kona closed... [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:

Wait a minute.... Google maps has them a block in from Ali'i. They no longer have the ocean view? :( Is that right? Looks like they are sharing the building with Evolution Bakery. (BTW great gluten free and vegan breakfast at that bakery.)

Same view. Still on Ali'i about a block south from the old spot. Kona Haven Coffee shares the same building if you want to Google them for map reference. Lava Java probably has 80% of the building though.

Google maps has the location wrong.

Last edited by: The GMAN: May 28, 17 0:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jesus lord you scared me with that title! That was one of our fondest memories from week in Kona in 2015 - I kid you not, I had breakfast, lunch and dinner there every day for 5 straight days. It got to the point where they were giving us their end of day cookie and brownie leftovers, and half off our meals - great staff, great food, great ambiance. We'll be back for sure! (and maybe check out the Thai place referenced above...)
Quote Reply
Re: Island Lava Java in Kona closed... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes to thai rin! great food and a great view too.

edited: damn autocorrect!
Last edited by: gogogo!: May 28, 17 14:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you mean full Luke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

Same view. Still on Ali'i about a block south from the old spot. Kona Haven Coffee shares the same building if you want to Google them for map reference. Lava Java probably has 80% of the building though.

Google maps has the location wrong.

Slight correction. The new Lava Java does not share the building with Kona Haven. Lava Java is the building next door to the north, which is the first of those two story restaurant buildings.

So it goes from north to south... old Lava Java location, Subway, Thai Rin, small side street, new Lava Java.

Last edited by: The GMAN: May 28, 17 19:08
Quote Reply
Re: Island Lava Java in Kona closed... [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had breakfast, lunch and dinner there every day for 5 straight days.

Good grief! I love Lava Java, but there are so many great places in Kona to eat and drink!

Good news on the bigger space. Honestly, in the last few years we've been to Kona during race-week, we've steered completely clear of Lava Java for the simple reason, that it was a BIG wait, with no guarantee of a place to sit down - with other good options near by with no wait and ample place to sit down! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Island Lava Java in Kona closed... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And Lava Java doesn't serve mai tais.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha! You had me going. Same reaction, Noooooo!

Relieved. Wonder if the new spot will be the same kind of bike fashion show as the old place? It was so great to see all the uber-bikes just casually parked outside.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny!
I am reading this at Lava Java in Waikaloa. The new Lava Java was the first stop off of the plane Saturday.
See ya Saturday

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Island Lava Java in Kona closed... [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh you guys are there for Honu? I must be an idiot going to Victoria for the 4th time instead of to paradise. Lake will be 60F. Lows 49F. Highs 61F. At least it looks dry but that could change by Sunday.

So those minimalist Roka jackets. May finally order one...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frozen my ass off in Victoria last year.
Was not warm from the time I got off the plaNE at yvr until I landed back in LA....

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Island Lava Java in Kona closed... [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not here for Honu. Just vacation.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got back from Kona. Island Lava Java is good, but I'm not sure what the hype is about. Best dinner I had was at Kamana Kitchen. Kona Haven was, hands down, the best coffee I had there.

Attacking this day with enthusiasm unknown to mankind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
and moved to a much larger place 200' away. :-)

I ran this morning down Ali'i Drive and saw that Lava Java was closed down and was like "NO!!!!!!!!!!!" Then 10 seconds later all was well when I saw the new location.

Ate there for breakfast after the run. They moved to the new space about a month ago. Two floor structure. Second floor not open yet. The first floor area already seats about 3x as many as the old spot.

Island Style Pancakes = yummy.

Wow, you had me scared for a minute! My BF once ate 5 consecutive meals at Lava Java while I was off scuba diving. He would've been devastated if it were gone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This entire thread is a backdoor brag. Well done.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Island Lava Java in Kona closed... [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So with all that extra space they didn't add a bar?!?
That's the one thing Lava Java is missing, post race drinks?
But I'm okay with their BYOB policy.
Quote Reply
Re: Island Lava Java in Kona closed... [Bifff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bifff wrote:
So with all that extra space they didn't add a bar?!?
That's the one thing Lava Java is missing, post race drinks?
But I'm okay with their BYOB policy.

There is a bar and the BYOB policy is no more as they now have a liquor license.

Quote Reply

Prev Next