Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is there any reason to get a TriRig Omega over Magura hydraulic brakes?
Quote | Reply
  • Based on TriRig's data (below), they're very, very close in terms of aerodynamics
  • My understanding is that the Omega has poor braking performance
  • Magura definitely has the best braking I've ever tried
  • Magura RT6 TT new take-offs are generally in the $200 range for a set (I paid $200 or $220 shipped, brand new take-offs)
  • The RT8's with a slightly lighter carbon handle seem to be in the $300-350 range for a set, new take-offs
  • TriRig Omegas are $175 EACH, or $350 for a set

So, the Maguras seem to offer crazy good braking, while the Omegas are a step down from stock, the Maguras are cheaper, and they are just as aerodynamic. I guess the only con I see is that you have to set up hydraulics, but that honestly wasn't an issue for a first-timer like myself and after doing it, I definitely prefer running/bleeding hydraulic lines over running and adjusting traditional brake cable.

Quote Reply
Re: Is there any reason to get a TriRig Omega over Magura hydraulic brakes? [dzxc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, they don't fit my Felt with a 2-bolt mount for the rear brake.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any reason to get a TriRig Omega over Magura hydraulic brakes? [dzxc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dzxc wrote:
  • Based on TriRig's data

You mean my data.

Anyway, I haven't used either brake, so can't really comment on set-up or functionality. One thing not on your bulleted list, though, is the fact that the Omega lets you use any brake lever you want, whereas with the Magura you must use theirs (which may increase the difference in aerodynamics).

Also, to use the quick release on the Magura levers you have to avoid fully closing the 'clamshell' of the brake (which may contribute to the difference in delta CdA shown in the figure, as I tested the Magura set up the way Garmin/Cervelo mechanics did). With the Omega, on the other hand, you need to either incorporate some sort of cable detensior in the housing or at the brake lever, or carry a small Allen wrench to adjust the spacing of the pads.

One interesting question is why there are apparently enough Magura 'take-offs' floating around for the market to have seemingly settled on any sort of typical price range. Maybe people are just intimidated by the novelty (on road bikes, anyway) of hydraulic brakes?
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Mar 31, 15 8:03
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any reason to get a TriRig Omega over Magura hydraulic brakes? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's the limited dI2 compatibility with Magura's that is the problem.

You either need to do your own hack work around with cat eye buttons, tear apart $300 di2 brake shifters, not sure if you can do a setup with climber or sprint shifters that looks clean?
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any reason to get a TriRig Omega over Magura hydraulic brakes? [Jmath] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jmath wrote:
I think it's the limited dI2 compatibility with Magura's that is the problem.

Ah, yes! That would explain it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Magura brakes require magura levers.

Magura levers are only aero if your base bar's brake mounting spot is flat. Upturned ruins the whole design of it.

While Cervelo claims the magura levers are as aero as anything, this seems unlikely to be true given the frontal area is so much bigger thing levers like the vision crab claw or 3T..but maybe!

No di2 on the magura levers either, though you can hack buttons on there

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do the the Maguras use standard brake pads?
i.e., can you use any standard shimano-compatible brake pads?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any reason to get a TriRig Omega over Magura hydraulic brakes? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Do the the Maguras use standard brake pads?
i.e., can you use any standard shimano-compatible brake pads?

yes
oh, another issue, on some frames you may have to drill out cable stops to route the magura line.

Quote Reply
Re: Is there any reason to get a TriRig Omega over Magura hydraulic brakes? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So basically you have the following options:

1: Magura = PIA
2: Omega = Easy

Since every time I work on my bike, EVERYTHING turns in to a PIA, I'll choose Omega, hoping their PIA is < Magura PIA

Also, what's all the talk about stopping power? I have a Felt B12 with Flo wheels (Omega front) and it stops on a dime. Even when I had Assault wheels (carbon brake track) it stopped fast. Some of you must live in very very hilly terrain where all the stop signs are at the base of a hill. Reminds me of the 'shave leg debate'. People shave so when they fall it's easy to deal with. How often are people falling??!?!

Quote | Reply
So, I can only say to go ride a bike with Maguras and see if you think they feel "Better". I think they do, by a lot. Whether total power is different or not, I don't know.

As for PIA - Omega has it's own pains. Adjusting the height of the brake so the pads touch the braking surface of the wheel is a bit tricky. Getting the cable routed, tensioned and cut just just right so that there isn't slack is a bit tricky, and it required periodic cleaning (more often than a normal brake). It is also more sensitive to cable routing issues, so if you wanted to use it on the rear, sometimes it can be hard to set up well. It also has no quick release.

On the other hand the Magura doesn't give a damn about how you route the hose, which is kinda awesome, and you get a quick release *in* the lever, which is cool as hell. But then you gotta learn how to install hydraulics and bleed them and that is a bit of a hassle.

So, pros and cons both ways.
I like both!

Economist wrote:
So basically you have the following options:

1: Magura = PIA
2: Omega = Easy

Since every time I work on my bike, EVERYTHING turns in to a PIA, I'll choose Omega, hoping their PIA is < Magura PIA

Also, what's all the talk about stopping power? I have a Felt B12 with Flo wheels (Omega front) and it stops on a dime. Even when I had Assault wheels (carbon brake track) it stopped fast. Some of you must live in very very hilly terrain where all the stop signs are at the base of a hill. Reminds me of the 'shave leg debate'. People shave so when they fall it's easy to deal with. How often are people falling??!?!

Last edited by: jackmott: Mar 31, 15 7:31
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any reason to get a TriRig Omega over Magura hydraulic brakes? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you saying the arms were slightly or somewhat split at the top of the caliper? this is one concern I would have with maguras, over time as pads wear and you close caliper more to keep pads close to rim
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any reason to get a TriRig Omega over Magura hydraulic brakes? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
are you saying the arms were slightly or somewhat split at the top of the caliper? this is one concern I would have with maguras, over time as pads wear and you close caliper more to keep pads close to rim

yeah in his test they were split up top already.

You could always washer the pads in if you are being meticulous.

Quote Reply
Re: Is there any reason to get a TriRig Omega over Magura hydraulic brakes? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
continually finding new size washers would get annoying, but it is what one probably should do. if using zipp platinum pads, they wear really fast, so could be monthly or sooner depending on your riding, if used in training.

I am not using magura currently
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any reason to get a TriRig Omega over Magura hydraulic brakes? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
are you saying the arms were slightly or somewhat split at the top of the caliper?

See the footnote on the bottom of page 10:

http://www.tririg.com/...omega_whitepaper.pdf

and note that the P5 white paper can now be found here:

http://www.cervelo.com/...f-39946cd71205-0.pdf

Or just check out Hesjedal's bike...this is how I set up the Magura for testing:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dzxc wrote:
  • My understanding is that the Omega has poor braking performance

I've had TriRig Omegas since 2012. I can tell you that the braking power is dependent on your brake levers and pads. I used to use Profile Design Full Carbon ABS Aero levers and they were TERRIBLE. I also used the Kool Stop Salmon pads that TriRig supplies. Braking was not good at all and with carbon clinchers it was even worse.

After talking to my bike shop, we realized it was the levers not pulling enough cable. I upgraded my levers to Shimano Dura Ace and changed the brake pads to Shimano pads and the braking is amazing. I can lock the back wheel now if I wanted too.

I regret not consulting my shop before and getting Dura Ace the first time. With good cable pull and pads, the Omegas give more than enough braking power. I'm very happy with my Omegas now

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any reason to get a TriRig Omega over Magura hydraulic brakes? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I used to use Profile Design Full Carbon ABS Aero levers and they were TERRIBLE.

Those levers seem to be terrible in general, with any brake. It really hurt my head. Why would you make them so bad?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. I bought them because of TriRigs review on them. Terrible mistake and a huge waste of money. Don't ever buy them. If you are reading this, DO NOT EVER BUY THEM. Stay with Dura Ace levers.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any reason to get a TriRig Omega over Magura hydraulic brakes? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I agree. I bought them because of TriRigs review on them. Terrible mistake and a huge waste of money. Don't ever buy them. If you are reading this, DO NOT EVER BUY THEM. Stay with Dura Ace levers.

or even the old vision crab claws. despite being tiny the braking feel was very solid.

oh wait but those only work on vision base bars..

but still they are great!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep! my old p2 had the vision crab claws and they worked really well. Don't be afraid of the Omegas. They are great brakes but they take a bit of effort to get right (or lots of money as I found out from stupid purchases)

Last edited by: BryanD: Mar 31, 15 8:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
BryanD wrote:

or even the old vision crab claws. despite being tiny the braking feel was very solid.

oh wait but those only work on vision base bars..

but still they are great!

Unless you get the little adaptor thingy, then you can run them on any bars. I've got them on my Easton Attack TT's.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm... I'm not so sure i agree your pads were the problem. Koolstop salmon are regularly considered the best pad for alloy wheels. Maybe they were bad on carbon but that's like saying a baseball bat is a bad golf club.

For a good, no nonsense lever, check out TRP. I think the feel is much better than even the vision crab claw(though certainly less aerodynamic). I'm a big TRP fan though.

To the OP, I think your analysis is spot on. The secondary market for Maguras makes them very attractive if you don't have di2. I'd be running them in a heartbeat if I could.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any reason to get a TriRig Omega over Magura hydraulic brakes? [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't use Kool Stop Salmons on carbon wheels

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of bike are you looking to put them on? The head tube shape of my 2010 QR Seduza prevented me from using the Maguras. The hydro line comes in at the back of the brake body, and it doesn't seem to jive with certain head tube shapes.

With that said, I really don't like my Omegas. I put the stock rear Tektro back on because I wanted to be able to stop. Part of it could be attributed to the carbon clinchers I was running.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is there any aerodynamic difference between the rt 6 vs rt 8? Or is it just the materials, some parts are alu vs carbon.

Dan Meehan
Coach / Athlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent braking power and feel for Omegas with 3T-levers too.
Quote Reply

Prev Next