Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is there a trainer tire I don't have to add air to every fkng time I use it?
Quote | Reply
I'd rather not have to add air at all if possible. Something solid maybe?
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a trainer tire I don't have to add air to every fkng time I use it? [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
extra thick tube should last a week or two.
this is mostly a function of tube not tire

Though, if you use stans rim tape, that might slow things a bit.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a trainer tire I don't have to add air to every fkng time I use it? [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not the tire, but the intertube. You have to pump your tires up like once a week, trainer tires are no different.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently started using the Schwalbe 1 tubeless, Love it! With Orange sealant it stays ridable for 3 days

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a trainer tire I don't have to add air to every fkng time I use it? [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gatorskin, heavy duty tube. Going on I think 6k miles and still going.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, it is the tube, not the tire. Get thicker tubes (name brand but NOT Ultralites). They should be cheaper. Use a good hand pump on them once a week. I fill mine up to about 120 psi, let them go down to 100 por so and that cane take a week or more. Then reinflate. And, check your sidewalk, you can likely run down to about 90 psi, although you may want to adjust your press on force.

But, with a good hand pump, it is so simple and quick to inflate it hs never been something that I've even thought about.

The other thing I do is whenever I replace my tires (get a new set of tires for my bike), I replace the tubes as well. It isn't expensive and with all the inflationary, there is wear and tear on the valve stem. But with a couple of bikes and lots of trainer riding, I don't go through tires that frequently. Also, even if a tire lasts longer than. A couple of years, I'll still change the tube out ever couple of years.

I need to create a log and start documenting dates better. When I last changed tires, tubes, battery in my HRM, battery in my Stages, battery in my Garmin Cadence unit, on each of my bikes, battery in my foot pod, battery in my backup HRM.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pump up my tires every ride. It takes 30 seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a trainer tire I don't have to add air to every fkng time I use it? [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses! I curently ride on armadillos and I'm not sure what the tube is. I should have been more specific but I was referring to actually being on the trainer. Just trying to reduce some of the short number of steps to get going. I know its silly and only takes 30 seconds to inflate the tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're willing to drop $$$ on this problem go tubeless tape, tubeless tire, and then throw a heavy-duty butyl tube in there.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a trainer tire I don't have to add air to every fkng time I use it? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
If you're willing to drop $$$ on this problem go tubeless tape, tubeless tire, and then throw a heavy-duty butyl tube in there.

there we go, that is a good idea.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a trainer tire I don't have to add air to every fkng time I use it? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Gatorskin, heavy duty tube. Going on I think 6k miles and still going.

I've had a set of Gatorskins on my roadbike going on three years now both road and trainer and they still look like new :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tubes loose an average of 10 lb of air a week, if you can't pump them, you should get a spin bike, no tubes or tires,

Quote Reply
Re: Is there a trainer tire I don't have to add air to every fkng time I use it? [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
I pump up my tires every ride. It takes 30 seconds.

Same here...I bought an extra pump to leave in my basement, just for the trainer.

Then I bought a Wahoo KICKR... and have no back wheel on the trainer anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have tried filling with nitrogen?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wahoo kicker (no tire)
Or
Just tighten the runner on the trainer more each time and pump once a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
airless tyres are the way to go if you really want to do this.

you're going to be killing ourself on that trainer though. rolling resistance would be crazy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1xatbandcamp wrote:
I'd rather not have to add air at all if possible. Something solid maybe?

Get Wahoo KICKR. Problem solved. But then it is kinda hard on your a$$.
Quote Reply