Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is that cheating? swimiolite
Quote | Reply
http://swimiolite.com/pros

I would consider using this during an IM swim cheating.Your thoughts?

I guess in some way power meters do sthg similar in the bike leg allowing better pacing without all the guess work.
Quote Reply
Re: Is that cheating? swimiolite [frenchieTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USAT says its legal, at least that's what the folks at swimiolite say. I'm skeptical that it can figure out what to tell you to do once you make a turn around a bouy, or have to change direction for some rather reason. I might get one just for fun, but I'm in no rush as it's winter here in New Jersey and I can't use it anyway for several months. Will be watching for some early adopter reviews in the meantime.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about just learning to swim and sight properly? :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love toys, but I sure do not see an interest for this. I have enough stuff to worry about during the swim.

There also is the issue of what to do with it after the swim. Sure what hate to have to worry about losing a 200 buck item.

So will see how many use and how many can show it cut time off of their swim times.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Is that cheating? swimiolite [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Add to that the $1200 wetsuit...

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Is that cheating? swimiolite [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In reality all this device does is tell you if you are swimming in a straight line. It doesn't tell you if you are swimming along the course or swimming in the complete opposite direction. You'll still need to sight the buoys.

So what is the point again? Oh yeah triathletes will buy almost anything if they think it will save a few seconds :)

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's right up there with the running power meter.

I don't understand why people choose to do a sport, then spend so much money to avoid learning how to actually do the sport properly. What's so bad about learning how to sight? Or pace yourself? Its not rocket surgery.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Is that cheating? swimiolite [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

I don't understand why people choose to do a sport, then spend so much money to avoid learning how to actually do the sport properly. What's so bad about learning how to sight? Or pace yourself? Its not rocket surgery.

It's easier to spend money than it is to train :) Or so the myth goes.....

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not cheating.

-- Aaron Davidson
Quote Reply
Re: Is that cheating? swimiolite [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

There's a reason triathletes have the reputation we have. This thing is just stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:

X1000000000

I don't get what is so hard about swimming straight.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: Is that cheating? swimiolite [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
rbuike wrote:

X1000000000

Water makes triathletes melt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know how you could possibly just blindly trust this. If you can't trust it, you need to double check by sighting. In which case, you might as well just sight?

But to answer the question, I don't think it's cheating - maybe cheating yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
rbuike wrote:

X1000000000

Swimming straight is easy. Dodging the 2,000 other people swimming crooked is what's hard.

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: Is that cheating? swimiolite [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
I don't know how you could possibly just blindly trust this. If you can't trust it, you need to double check by sighting. In which case, you might as well just sight?

But to answer the question, I don't think it's cheating - maybe cheating yourself.

I'm highly skeptical that this thing works... and, even if it did, I wouldn't trust it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheating? No.

Useful? No.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
In reality all this device does is tell you if you are swimming in a straight line. It doesn't tell you if you are swimming along the course or swimming in the complete opposite direction. You'll still need to sight the buoys.

So what is the point again? Oh yeah triathletes will buy almost anything if they think it will save a few seconds :)

Too much gadget

Not enough sport

Taking a slant from Fleck....triathletes just need to go and do the sport and not over think it and over complicate it with useless crap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear a Garmin watch to maintain my pace when I run. If I don't, I lose concentration and my pace varies. So if you would see how off course I often get in an open water swim, you can see why this appeals to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Is that cheating? swimiolite [M Ernst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M Ernst wrote:
I wear a Garmin watch to maintain my pace when I run. If I don't, I lose concentration and my pace varies. So if you would see how off course I often get in an open water swim, you can see why this appeals to me.

What's wrong with your pace varying?

You run uphill at the same speed as down?

Same speed on blacktop and a rocky trail?

Keep doing that and guys with less tech will keep beating you.....
Quote Reply
Re: Is that cheating? swimiolite [M Ernst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you run on a track without a GPS does your 100m pace vary at every one of the 4 sample points in a single loop. I would be shocked if it does. Just a question. did you start running before or after GPS became available to runners?
Quote Reply
Re: Is that cheating? swimiolite [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
If you run on a track without a GPS does your 100m pace vary at every one of the 4 sample points in a single loop. I would be shocked if it does. Just a question. did you start running before or after GPS became available to runners?

If I don't pay attention I go too fast for the pace required for the longer events. The GPS watch provides me with information to be more disciplined in my pacing.
Quote Reply
Re: Is that cheating? swimiolite [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So why are we bashing tools?

I would love to know if I'm on pace while swimming. That would be very useful. I don't seim all out for a half or full, so I'd like to know if I'm at least holding a "good" pace.

Same for a run. Same for a power meter on a bike. Just tools to gauge if you are near your sweet spot.
Quote Reply
Re: Is that cheating? swimiolite [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pacing tools make any endurance sport boring for me.

Also, if I am not mistaken, they are illegal in most real athletic competitions.

Do they provide an (illegal) advantage? Sure they do.

What's next?

Can I let a drone/robot race for me?
Last edited by: windschatten: Feb 1, 15 19:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
rbuike wrote:

X1000000000

Tha's some awfully sound advice there, "coach"
Quote Reply
Re: Is that cheating? swimiolite [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, Dolphins and unicorns first.

Come back to reality.
Quote Reply

Prev Next