Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is not getting water in your mouth possible?
Quote | Reply
When I swim, frequently I get some water in my mouth (very rarely I accidentally swallow it). I normally can spit it out before my head rolls back underwater. I have done this for so many years, this water in my mouth and spitting it out is a habit. Whatever water enters my mouth during the breath, I quickly shoot back out of my mouth. The water is never deep in my mouth, nor is there much of it.

About 2 months ago, I suddenly started having major GI-track problems (and immediately stopped swimming). Whatever I ate, passed thru me within like within 3 or 4 hours, and was minimally digested. I started taking Metronidazole two weeks ago, and now I feel like a champ. I can now eat what I want and when I want.

So, do most (all?) people unavoidably let water slip into their mouths, and then spit it out?

ps. I never, ever, ever pee in the pool. So, please don't criticize me for spitting, ok? And, I only spit pool water that seeped into my mouth. I never spit mucus or whatever.
Quote Reply
Re: Is not getting water in your mouth possible? [tumult] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this pool water in mouth or lake water in pool?

I feel both have very different health problems ;)

I think I got e. coli from Lake Michigan water in mouth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know of any way to not get water in your mouth other than to duct tape your mouth closed but that is a bit counterproductive.

I have to wear a nose clip when swimming in "fresh" water because if I don't the water gets into my sinuses and causes an infection / allergic reaction. I'm OK with both pool water and ocean water though. In any case, I wear a nose clip all the time now so that I'm fully used to it. The point being, I can only breath in and out through my mouth.

Not only do I not know of any way that you can keep water out of your mouth but I can't avoid swallowing and inhaling some, sometimes. A wave catches you at the wrong moment, some one hits you at the wrong time and that inhalation or swallowing happens.

Oh, and all the mucus from your nose, if you don't wear a nose clip does go in the water along with some from your mouth along with all your sweat and anything else that leaks out of your or others bodies.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Is not getting water in your mouth possible? [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIM.... Unless you have an infection, urine, while "yucky" is a LOT cleaner in terms of bacteria that spit or sweat..or hell, even just shaking someone's hand. I believe I've read that it's almost sterile.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might be overthinking things.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tumult wrote:
When I swim, frequently I get some water in my mouth (very rarely I accidentally swallow it). I normally can spit it out before my head rolls back underwater. I have done this for so many years, this water in my mouth and spitting it out is a habit. Whatever water enters my mouth during the breath, I quickly shoot back out of my mouth. The water is never deep in my mouth, nor is there much of it.
<snip>
So, do most (all?) people unavoidably let water slip into their mouths, and then spit it out?
Inhale when your mouth is (mostly) above water. Water in your mouth is not (should not be) a problem; it's only a problem if you end up inhaling that water. Exhale into the water, and along with that, expel whatever water you've got in your mouth. That gives you lots of time to get the water back out. I think it's pretty unavoidable, though, to end up swallowing a bit of water here and there, especially when you're swimming with a group and you don't have a clean bow wave trough to breathe in. If your pool (or the lake you're swimming in) is at all sanitary that shouldn't be a big problem. Maybe eat some yoghurt to keep your intestinal flora happy?

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purposefully drink a little lake water when I race to keep my mouth from drying out. One of the reasons why I don't love ocean or small lake swims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I get water in my mouth, it is so remarkable that I notice it. It is very rare. You use air pressure in your mouth to keep the water out, either by equalizing the air pressure and the water pressure or by exhaling. You exhale as your mouth goes above the surface, you breathe above the surface (you are breathing *above* the surface, aren't you :-), then you equalize the pressure under the surface. I swim with my mouth open, I do believe, but water does not get into my mouth. The only time I get water in my mouth is if a wave hits me there. Rarely happens in the pool, and even less so in open water (I swim FOP and mostly alone in races).

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Is not getting water in your mouth possible? [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCDon wrote:
I don't know of any way to not get water in your mouth other than to duct tape your mouth closed but that is a bit counterproductive.

I have to wear a nose clip when swimming in "fresh" water because if I don't the water gets into my sinuses and causes an infection / allergic reaction. I'm OK with both pool water and ocean water though. In any case, I wear a nose clip all the time now so that I'm fully used to it. The point being, I can only breath in and out through my mouth.

Not only do I not know of any way that you can keep water out of your mouth but I can't avoid swallowing and inhaling some, sometimes. A wave catches you at the wrong moment, some one hits you at the wrong time and that inhalation or swallowing happens.

Oh, and all the mucus from your nose, if you don't wear a nose clip does go in the water along with some from your mouth along with all your sweat and anything else that leaks out of your or others bodies.

yeah. A long while ago, I regularly swam in Lake Michigan. Every now and then, a wave would break on me the wrong way and I'd have a mouthful of water forced down my throat. Many races will have the same wavy environment I guess. I think Chicago sometimes dumps sewage into L. Michigan. Now that was gross. Glad I didn't think about it back then.
Quote Reply
Re: Is not getting water in your mouth possible? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if you are doing fly, back, or breast?
Quote Reply
Re: Is not getting water in your mouth possible? [over9000!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
over9000! wrote:
What if you are doing fly, back, or breast?
What about it?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Is not getting water in your mouth possible? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The undulation induced by the lane next to you swimming fly increases the chance of water getting into your mouth if you are swimming back. Hard lesson learned from those IM sets.
Quote Reply
Re: Is not getting water in your mouth possible? [over9000!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In coaching OWS I've long advised that one should not count on any given breath. You never know when wave, wind or splash might get you.
Shallower more frequent breaths will minimize water ingestion.
But, it will still happen.
With a shallower breath you can expel it back into the eater quite often.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the title of the thread, I thought you had a drinking problem

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tumult wrote:

About 2 months ago, I suddenly started having major GI-track problems (and immediately stopped swimming). Whatever I ate, passed thru me within like within 3 or 4 hours, and was minimally digested. I started taking Metronidazole two weeks ago, and now I feel like a champ. I can now eat what I want and when I want.

ps. I never, ever, ever pee in the pool. So, please don't criticize me for spitting, ok? And, I only spit pool water that seeped into my mouth. I never spit mucus or whatever.

I get water in my mouth just about every stroke, typically i inhale with part of my mouth underwater. It goes out when I exhale underwater. but a question, why do you waste the time spitting out above the water when you should be getting your head back to the neutral position?

re: mucus, that inevitably gets in the pool as well, since I primarily exhale through my nose, some water that goes into my mouth comes out through my nose. Again, no biggie...

re: GI tract issues, I'm mostly swimming in a pool, but when I do venture into open water I do check the municipal website to see if any lakes are flagged for high bacterial counts. The one that I usually swim at is a fairly fast flowing lake, so it is usually open.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply