Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is it rude to apply chamois creme in transition area?
Quote | Reply
This has been my first full season in triathlons so I'm still learning the do's and don'ts. I've always wondered when to apply my chamois butter. I never see anyone in transition applying it so I am always very discreet and uncomfortable about rubbing my sack and taint in public.

Is is rude to apply chamois butter in front of people or does this need to be done in a private setting.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it rude to apply chamois creme in transition area? [mercuryvapor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Applying it to other dudes is definitely bad form.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it rude to apply chamois creme in transition area? [walnutcreek tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walnutcreek tri wrote:

Always carry a spare bottle brush in your transition bag, just in case!

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Re: Is it rude to apply chamois creme in transition area? [mercuryvapor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Around mile 20 of the bike at Muncie I realized the seam of my tri shorts that I had used in a sprint with no issue were now chaffing the head of my penis raw. For 36 miles the seam then sawed away at my manhood. In transition I spent no less than 2 minutes rubbing body glide onto my junk while making as much eye contact with strangers as possible. Was it rude?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also be aware that when you have been riding out all day riding and decide to rearrange that there is a good chance your hands are very salty. Salty hands + slightly raw junk = rubbing salt in the wound.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it rude to apply chamois creme in transition area? [kblahetka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really feel like the rule "if you shake it more than twice" applies here. Rubbing creme on my privates in public with numerous applications and rubbing almost feels like I'm getting away with stealing.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it rude to apply chamois creme in transition area? [walnutcreek tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walnutcreek tri wrote:

This just made my day!

Thanks.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as you stay covered, not rude.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do this all the time. I just grab a blob of creme, jam my hand down my shorts and get everything covered that needs covering. I don't expose myself, so I am not breaking any rules. I don't care what other people think if they see me with my hand down my shorts

At Challenge AC I made sure to get an extra good layer on since I knew I would be out there for a while. Guy in the tent next to me said something like "wow you are really going to town there". No, sorry to burst your bubble, I am just taking an extra 10 seconds in transition to make myself comfortable for the next 6 hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you start rubbing faster and faster and then start to moan something like "Oh Mama", that would be considered good form but rude.

Asking other participants if you could rub some on them, yes that would be both bad form and rude.

On the other hand, HTFUing and learning to ride a few miles without having to use a lubricant would be good form. So, first all, figure out why you need lube. With a good fitting bib I can ride sunup to sundown on my road bike. On my Tri bike I have to be more careful, depending upon the shorts I wear. While I've bought "butt butter", I haven't used it yet.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go right ahead and rub it. Then, when you're done, be sure to walk around and shake hands with as many people as possible. Wish them luck. That shows good sportsmanship.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enthusiasm level is a key factor in appropriateness.

Quote Reply
Re: Is it rude to apply chamois creme in transition area? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't it be easier to either apply it before you leave home or simply go in one of the portapotties?
Quote Reply
Re: Is it rude to apply chamois creme in transition area? [LOW2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOW2000 wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to either apply it before you leave home or simply go in one of the portapotties?

No. It doesn't always stay on in the swim. And I sure as hell am not driving from home to wherever the race is with a slimy ass, nor would I waste even more time going over to a portopotty to do that.

Why the hell does anyone care if you put chamois lube on in transition?

I dont see what isnt easy about "open tub, scoop, slather, close tub, go"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just don't stick your hand in the pasta dish afterward
Quote Reply
Re: Is it rude to apply chamois creme in transition area? [kblahetka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kblahetka wrote:
Around mile 20 of the bike at Muncie I realized the seam of my tri shorts that I had used in a sprint with no issue were now chaffing the head of my penis raw. For 36 miles the seam then sawed away at my manhood. In transition I spent no less than 2 minutes rubbing body glide onto my junk while making as much eye contact with strangers as possible. Was it rude?

It was pretty rude not to offer to said strangers
Quote Reply
Re: Is it rude to apply chamois creme in transition area? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is in the top 5 gifs of all time for me. I randomly remembered it last week and just busted out laughing.

"Sweep the leg...Do you have a problem with that?" - John Kreese
Quote Reply
Re: Is it rude to apply chamois creme in transition area? [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, not if he gave them the chance to reciprocate.
Last edited by: denali2001: Jul 21, 14 13:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask a volunteer (and please report back).
Quote Reply
Re: Is it rude to apply chamois creme in transition area? [lakercr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lakercr wrote:
Ask a volunteer (and please report back).

Maybe a wetsuit stripper?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Aquaphor on race days. I put it on before the swim and it's not affected by the water or swim like many of the chamois creams/butters. Its a bit of a mess to use everyday as it is really doesn't wash off well, but for race day or if you have any emerging saddle sores, its great. Just have a dry rag, tissue or toilet paper around to get it off your hand after application.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kblahetka wrote:

next time, just use one of your PowerGels while you're riding. Report back and let us know how it works out

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As said above rubbing it more than three or four times would be bad form.

As would applying and then offering to shake hands with someone.

Otherwise don't sweat it.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sack it up, taint nothing to worry about

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rude? No. Embarrassing? Probably.

Meh. HTFU. Race a season in Speedos. Tri shorts will feel great after that. ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next