Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is it possible to adjust Ui2 Hydraulic levers/disc calipers engagement distance.....
Quote | Reply
Are these adjustable at all? (road bike)

I just set up a new bike with Shimano Ui2 hydraulic disc and the one lever, brake engagement is different from the other - yea, this annoys me.
In addition, the right brake levers engagement is closer to the bar than I like as I would prefer that the brake engages with a shorter pull (farther from the bar).

Brakes have been bled several times and engagement is crisp, its just I would prefer to have the engagement happen a bit sooner, less lever squeezing if you follow.
On my mountain bikes (granted the disc brakes are older systems), all I needed to do was remove the wheel, squeeze the levers to draw the pads closer together and this would adjust the lever engagement distance. That does not work on the Shimano hydraulic system.

Any suggestions?
Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Is it possible to adjust Ui2 Hydraulic levers/disc calipers engagement distance..... [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Starting on page 35.

Shimano Manual

How do you like them so far? Mine are on order.

"Some folks plan for the optimum race, others like to get upset when others out plan them. "
Quote Reply
Re: Is it possible to adjust Ui2 Hydraulic levers/disc calipers engagement distance..... [JimSanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, exactly what I needed. Funny thing is I asked the LBS about it and they said they were not adjustable??

I have Di2 on my road bike which I think it's the original version (back from around 2010/11?). Once you go Di2, it's difficult to go back to mechanical.
I had a mechanical ultegra cross bike (used as a winter road bike) that I was just struggling to keep the shifting in decent order. I got fed up with shifting issues that I just went with this new group on a new bike. The Ui2 is very nice and appears from a few rides to be overall a nicer shifting feel....although I'm now comparing a brand new group to one that is several years used/old. Braking is fabulous! Modulation, power, just the overall feel is excellent! I did have a minimal amount of squeal from the rear, but think that was just due to the calaper setup. I made a minor adjustment to center the caliper/rotor a bit better and the squeal is gone.........so you could have to do some minor adjustments if you get any sort of squeal.

What kind of bike are you putting this on? On a straight road bike I would just stick with the straight Di2/Ui2 setup as I feel disc brakes are not needed unless you are using full carbon rims in wet weather - disc brakes would be a benefit if that was your setup. I'm using this setup on a cross bike to be used during the fall/winter/spring wet weather riding; roads, gravel and some trail use which I think disc will be perfect.

Enjoy and thanks for the link
Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Is it possible to adjust Ui2 Hydraulic levers/disc calipers engagement distance..... [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. Maybe time for a new LBS :-) Or at least a discussion with the owner about the qualifications of the staff. It was my LBS that sent me the link to the manual originally.

This will be going on the gravel bike (Litespeed T5g). I've gotten so used to the modulation of the hydraulics on the long gravel descents on the MTB and like Di2 (especially the remote shift options) on the tri bike so had to go with it for this.

"Some folks plan for the optimum race, others like to get upset when others out plan them. "
Quote Reply
Re: Is it possible to adjust Ui2 Hydraulic levers/disc calipers engagement distance..... [JimSanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just as an update since I finally got around into looking at making this adjustment. The adjustment listed in the manual is for "Lever Reach" which is not really the adjustment I was looking for.

The adjustment I am looking for is: Lets say the lever reach is the exact same on both front/rear levers.
Squeezing the levers, the contact or engagement is different. Let just say the front lever makes engagement 1" from the bar and the rear lever makes engagement 1/2" from the bar. This is really kind of annoying for detail minded people.

There has to be an easy fix/adjustment for this??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it will be possible to adjust by adding more fluid. This isn't an exact science and it'll probably take a very small amount. It's what I had to do on my older Elixirs without contact adjust.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know on my new SRAM hydraulics the only way to adjust this is by either removing or adding oil to change the lever pull and feel. So it is possible the Shimano brakes work the same. Add more fluid to make the brakes engage faster, less for a more gradual brake pull. Now getting both levers exactly the same might be a little tricky. I just checked my levers and they are actually pretty close.
Quote Reply