Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is anyone interested in doing an Iron Distance "Event" In The South Okanagan (very grassroots)
Quote | Reply
When Michael Brown announced the Super League Triathlon would be coming to Penticton, it meant that after 4 decades, there would no longer be "a long distance triathlon event held in the South Okanagan" the last weekend in August.

Such a pity.

Three weeks ago, I pitched an idea to Slowtwitch readers that we should continue the tradition by having a non-supported Iron-Distance Event (not really a "race") on Sunday August 26. There was some passionate interest. Here is the update.

I'd like to start a thread here on ST to find out who out there is interested in participating in the event. It's going to be low-key, it's going to be grass roots, it's just going to be you, the elements, and the classic Lisa Bentley era course (with a few modifications to minimize disruptions and enhance safety).

Who is in?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone interested in doing an Iron Distance "Event" In The South Okanagan (very grassroots) [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ill do it .Not a big ask since I live hear but yea why not. My wife said she could get a few friends together for a aid station.

"Be your best cheerleader , not your worst critic.”
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone interested in doing an Iron Distance "Event" In The South Okanagan (very grassroots) [Kirch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent - thanks for your support. Maybe this means we won't have to use Camelbacks on the run from Skaha Beach to OK Falls!

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone interested in doing an Iron Distance "Event" In The South Okanagan (very grassroots) [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will keep the option open. I am just recovering from a disc/nerve thing, but I think it should be possible to do the swim and the bike if things go the right way. Keep the spirit alive.

Dev

IMCanada Penticton Class of 91,92,93,95,97,2008
IMCanada Whistler Class of 2014, 2015
Banditman Canada Class of 2018 (TBD)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on timing as I am scheduled for IM Canada, I would be interested!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool!
Living in Vancouver and we definitely do not have enough Tri events in BC.
IF I am in the area at that time (for work) then I am happy to help with aid station or such.

Signed up for Whistler 70.3 as I would not see myself (yet) to do a full distance.
Will be watching this thread.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone interested in doing an Iron Distance "Event" In The South Okanagan (very grassroots) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I will keep the option open. I am just recovering from a disc/nerve thing, but I think it should be possible to do the swim and the bike if things go the right way. Keep the spirit alive.

Dev

IMCanada Penticton Class of 91,92,93,95,97,2008
IMCanada Whistler Class of 2014, 2015
Banditman Canada Class of 2018 (TBD)

I had this wild idea that we could be the nerve-damaged relay team - you swim, bike what you can, and I bike and run, but then I realized that that weekend is the last weekend before school starts again and there is no way I can sneak out after what looks to be a busy summer. So you're on your own, buddy :-)

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absofreaking-lutely I’m in!
Please tell me what I can do from here to assist with helping this idea come to fruition.
Cheers!
Pat
Graduated at IMC 1996...,plus 9 more......
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone interested in doing an Iron Distance "Event" In The South Okanagan (very grassroots) [Pat_YYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neat to see the numbers building for this. I think we can handle the bike by just having a pit stop at the Husky in Osoyoos and at a Fruit Stand just before the out and back in Kermeous. Will do my best to keep this thing rolling!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will keep it open.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to give kudos to you for doing this. I would be very interested in an event like this in my country.

You'll have to be clear about its structure to avoid medical/insurance/local authorities and the complications that brings. Even if you have a small bunch of excellent people participating, things can change after someone is on their back for some reason.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply