Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is anyone at the NO 70.3?
Quote | Reply
I was just checking up on a pal racing there.....he shoulda def been out of the water by now. Then I look and see the fastest swim at a :57/100m pace? Um yea that is faster than Sun Yangs 1500m pool WR pace! I think I see half a dozen guys averaged under 1 minute 100m pace....scratching head. I'm guessing the timing issues are kaput today? Just wondering if I should keep checking in on my pal's time updates or if there is a snafoozle with tech today.

Hope everyone races safe and fast today!
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone at the NO 70.3? [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim times are looking a bit on the fast time. Either timing issues or a shortened course....again.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone at the NO 70.3? [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah ok finally just saw my bud clock in. I was getting worried maybe he didn't start or something happened. Even with his insanely way fast time that had to have been a late start? At least I can track him now he gets better as the day goes on!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a delay before they started....30 minutes. Not sure why. On another note....can the coverage be any worse? One bike split?
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone at the NO 70.3? [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:
There was a delay before they started....30 minutes. Not sure why. On another note....can the coverage be any worse? One bike split?

ha well i'm not watching the whole shabang....participating in tri is a hoot, but watching not so much for me. back in the day i was all about it, but on to other things now hope the coverage gets better for ya! i just have my buds athlete tracker up on my phone to check in on him periodically.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Apr 19, 15 6:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am patiently waiting the bike splits.. Or should I say BIKE SPLIT?!?

Obviously the swim was WAY short. Dudes popping out of the water in 17:XX..LOL...

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was the third year having the swim in the marina/harbor, correct?

I hope they didn't screw up the distance and there was some rain related or logistical reason for shaving off 300m or so.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trying to follow one of the brit young pro athletes - got to be the worst "live" coverage ever
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone at the NO 70.3? [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
trying to follow one of the brit young pro athletes - got to be the worst "live" coverage ever

To their credit, the coverage is horrible the vast majority of the time....so at least we can count on their consistency.

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone at the NO 70.3? [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
very true, they were not even sure who was first off the bike, i wonder if they have anyone actually watching the race
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone at the NO 70.3? [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
very true, they were not even sure who was first off the bike, i wonder if they have anyone actually watching the race

Presumably they don't as the only updates are coming from what you can gather from the timing mats....ie the most recent update: At 5 km, Potts and Chrabot are running together up front. Beals is running in third just over a minute back and Wurtlete is in fourth, two minutes off the pace.

Fool me once shame on you....fool me twice, shame on me. Yet I continue to check in on a weekend w/ the expectation of following a pro race, so the moral of the story is, shame on me ;-)

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone at the NO 70.3? [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So Potts wins in 3:39:49 with Chrabot 2nd in 3:40:30. Potts was first out of the water (OOW) in 18:35 with Chrabot just 5 sec back at 18:40. Acc to Chrabot's web site, his personal best 500 free is 4:49 vs Potts whose 500 PB is around 4:26. Would've thought Potts would've led by around 1:20 OOW but perhaps Chrabot was just drafting really well. They came off the bike together and then Potts outran him but about 38 sec, 1:15:54 vs 1:16:32.

Anyone know if the swim was wetsuit-legal for the pro's???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone at the NO 70.3? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was not.

Per multiple social media accounts, start was delayed due to athlete parking logistical issues.

This was worse than even 70.3 Puerto Rico in terms of coverage. Went over an hour without any kind of updates. Absolute shame.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone at the NO 70.3? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
It was not.

Per multiple social media accounts, start was delayed due to athlete parking logistical issues.

This was worse than even 70.3 Puerto Rico in terms of coverage. Went over an hour without any kind of updates. Absolute shame.

Not surprised coverage is bad, its the expectation for 70.3 races from WTC. For a small 70.3 race early in the season on a beautiful day such as this, I personally won't sit at my computer in the morning watching the race unfold, I would rather be on my bike or exploring new trails. I just logged on, all I really care about is how a few friends raced and I'll glance at the pro race. Now the bigger IM regional races/70.3 races I will care about a bit more, I might even watch in the AM with a cup of coffee before I head out, but I don't need Kona coverage or a blog noting every pass, etc. Just give me the podium and any noteworthy happenings. That's just my own thoughts on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shout out to Slowtwitcher Colin Laughery for going 4:07 for 18th overall and unchicked. If you have a nail, he's your hammer! I continue to be inspired by this guy's efforts, as well as being a stand up dude and great dad.

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone at the NO 70.3? [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you're trying to cover their event and help provide more exposure for WTC, the pros, and their sponsors: it is a clusterfuck.

Thankfully, it was cold this AM, so it's not like my ride got delayed any. Now if only my iPhone would've actually captured the data...

Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone at the NO 70.3? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
When you're trying to cover their event and help provide more exposure for WTC, the pros, and their sponsors: it is a clusterfuck.

Thankfully, it was cold this AM, so it's not like my ride got delayed any. Now if only my iPhone would've actually captured the data...

So are you trying to piggyback off WTC's coverage to provide your "own" coverage and blame them for it? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the race or well 69.1 of it. On a relay and had a swimmer. Traffic was ridiculous at the race site. Once you got within a few miles of it, it then took 30-45 min to park. Idiots directing traffic and a terrible parking/traffic plan. Moved the start back 30 min. Race was in a protected harbor and apparently they had the buoys set for Olympic distance, not 1.2 miles. They do a sprint and oly a few weeks before in Nola and use same harbor so maybe just laziness that they just put them out same as they had them before? But yeah led to fast swim times. My guy did it in 24 min and while he's a good swimmer 24 was pretty damn fast for him. Easy bike course and run course wasn't bad, just hot and kinda windy. Overall a good experience but PEM needs to correct a few things for next year.
Last edited by: mtreadway: Apr 19, 15 15:18
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone at the NO 70.3? [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seeing as they won't give me access to their media portal…I use their live blog, as well as sources on site, and additional reports. Y'know, like how any newspaper who is an Associated Press member would do for events they didn't send a reporter to. :)

At the end of the day, I'd like for WTC to be bigger than it is, and for the pro's to be bigger than they are. Part of that is by moving race coverage into the 21st Century. Going an hour plus without any updates with a professional race going on is not that. Shit, we had more updates during a 5K yesterday by the BAA.

Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone at the NO 70.3? [mtreadway] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mtreadway wrote:
I did the race or well 69.1 of it. On a relay and had a swimmer. Traffic was ridiculous at the race site. Once you got within a few miles of it, it then took 30-45 min to park. Idiots directing traffic and a terrible parking/traffic plan. Moved the start back 30 min. Race was in a protected harbor and apparently they had the buoys set for Olympic distance, not 1.2 miles. They do a sprint and oly a few weeks before in Nola and use same harbor so maybe just laziness that they just put them out same as they had them before? But yeah led to fast swim times. My guy did it in 24 min and while he's a good swimmer 24 was pretty damn fast for him. Easy bike course and run course wasn't bad, just hot and kinda windy. Overall a good experience but PEM needs to correct a few things for next year.

That's ridiculous re the buoys.

Did they have the shuttle from the downtown hotel this year? Or did they nix that as it's no longer point to point? Did it last year and had no traffic problems to the same location. But I could see if they had tons of cars instead of a few large buses.....
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone at the NO 70.3? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They made Saturday bike check-in optional because of storms on Saturday, so most people drove to the site. Parking was pretty bad. Buses still ran but there was no way to get bikes back to hotels, so it would've meant riding the bus back to pick up the car, then coming back for the bikes, which is a huge waste of time.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone at the NO 70.3? [jl2732] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the logistics are one of the main things keeping me from doing that race again NOLA is not a hard sell to the wife. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We arrived last night with our assigned military security detail. En route to our hotel we dropped off three elite squad members at an undisclosed location and watched as they disappeared into the darkness ducking the sporadic sniper fire from the rooftops. We arrived at the more relative safety of our hotel but throughout the night we heard the background noise of heavy artillery fire in the distance. Around three am intense fighting broke outside my bedroom window and we took cover under the beds as molotov cocktails were hurled into the hotel lobby and one of our security guards was captured and executed in the street. Reports of a negotiated ceasefire reached us in the morning and we joined a long line of refugees heading towards the lakefront airport. Many of the displaced residents were on bikes and around 7.30 when the ceasefire could no longer hold almost 2,000 military aged men and women abandoned the hope of a flight to safety and plunged into lake intent on reaching the opposite shore.

- Brian Williams NBC (Not Bloody Credible) News reporting from Ironman 70.3 New Orleans

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TriRaceBook.com
Hawaii Qualification Analysis
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone at the NO 70.3? [mtreadway] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
apparently they had the buoys set for Olympic distance, not 1.2

Nah, thats not it. I did both races and while I agree the 70.3 was short, it wasn't that short.

Here are some time comparisons from people I know who raced both events:

Oly 70.3
Me 24:14 28:08
JM 21:43 25:18
MM 19:13 21:33
KC 25:02 27:49
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone at the NO 70.3? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Did they have the shuttle from the downtown hotel this year?

Yes, they had shuttles running from the host hotel to/from transition and race site area

Quote:
Did it last year and had no traffic problems to the same location. But I could see if they had tons of cars instead of a few large buses.....

The difference between this year and last is that 2015 the race ended where it started. So what was athlete parking last year (next to transition) was now post race party area. So, all spectators and athletes were funneled down to one lane as they got close to the race area and all shared the same parking lot.

I left my house an hour before my wife and we were both sitting in the same traffic less than a mile from each other by the time she arrived.

I don't think the bike check in had that much to do with the traffic issues. Whether I brought my bike on Saturday or Sunday, getting in to park was a total cluster because they lost hundreds of athlete parking spots and everyone was funnled down to one lane (which was never the case before)/
Last edited by: LSUfan4444: Apr 21, 15 11:16
Quote Reply