Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is Rest, Ice, Compression & Elevation (R.I.C.E.) treatment still current?
Quote | Reply

I am having a mild condition of what we referred to as runners knee. On vacation last week I ran and hiked in the mountains of New Mexico with no issues. This week the right knee is a little sore on the trainer, and it is a little sore while walking. I ran 4 miles Wednesday evening and now I can barely walk. I had to take two Alieve last night to reduce the discomfort and put a pillow between my legs to be able to sleep. I am going to take a few days off (work on my swimming which I sorely need) and ice the knee and elevate as much as I can. I remember R.I.C.E treatment from my high school cross country days as being a recommended treatment. Is it still so? Is there better that I can do myself? If is not mending by Monday I will schedule a doctors appointment.

Recovery from my injury last November is a lot more challenging that I thought that it would be.

Thanks.

Quote Reply
Re: Is Rest, Ice, Compression & Elevation (R.I.C.E.) treatment still current? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Research is challenging the RICE method, but - like everything else in sports - you'll hear people swear by it and others say it doesn't work.
- Rest is a good first step but may not cure the problem if the cause is structural.
- Studies go both ways on ice. One theory says ice reduces swelling and hence assists with the removal of bad stuff from the affected area, or at least has a "pumping" effect; another argument is that the area should be allowed to swell since this is the body's way of bringing in blood and plasma to fix a damaged area. Try both and see what works for you. Ice never helped me, but heat has always been beneficial.
- Compression: no idea. Seems to work. Again, this is anecdotal.
- Elevation: rarely practical.

If you have runner's knee, try foam rolling your quads.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Rest, Ice, Compression & Elevation (R.I.C.E.) treatment still current? [hyr00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

We have a Tens Muscle Stimulation device ( http://www.tensunits.com/product/DI3717.html ) that was given to us. Does it look like it could be helpful in my situation?

Thanks, for you help.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Rest, Ice, Compression & Elevation (R.I.C.E.) treatment still current? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huh, that's an interesting device. I think I've seen it in physiotherapists' offices. From what I see, it can't make things worse so it's worth a try. If you do try it I'd love to hear your feedback. Techniques for treatment and recovery are very personal so there's really not much I can tell you.

Runner's knee usually means your quadriceps are tired or not working properly. Sometimes they're tired because another muscle group (eg hamstrings, gluteals) aren't working properly so the quads have to pick up the slack, or they're tired because you're doing something additional directly to them, like squats, and the quads just can't take the load. I see so many people doing squats, then going out for a run and remarking that their knees hurt. Because their knees hurt on the run they figure that running must be the cause.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Rest, Ice, Compression & Elevation (R.I.C.E.) treatment still current? [hyr00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw my GP this morning for very similar issue, MRI is booked for Monday but in the meanwhile told to continue ice daily and use anti-inflammatory. Have not run in 8 days. Cycling and swimming both reduce the swelling and pain, was told to do as much of both as I want as long as they are pain free. Have been treating the last week as a heavy bike focus as I have a race in one month that I have been running all winter for. I have been using Normatec also- that got the Doc's blessing as well. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What has worked for me in the past is 20 minutes ice followed by 20 minutes heat and repeat for as long as you can.

Be careful with the Stim device, lack of knowledge about something that sends electricity into your body can be bad...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a few years back, RICE was challenged by MEAT but that seems to have died off

http://www.thesportsphysiotherapist.com/...nt-sprain-treatment/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a few rounds of minor runners knee and rest somewhat work but finally went to a good chiro/physio dude and he diagnosed that and other issues as being tight mainly in back of legs (glutes down to calves) which causes the quad to tighten from having to over work. Started foam rolling everyday and injury free now for 6 months.

I would not look at runners knee as an injury but more of an in balance that needs to be solved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I think that due to a groin/upper leg injury, the over rotation of the leg is the cause. I find that my right leg now swings much more outward after the push off. I think that allowing the injury to heal is first and then strengthening the inner leg muscles will be the cure.

Anyone have a thigh master for sale?

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

Anyone have a thigh master for sale?

I had to go through an inner leg strengthening protocol for some tendonitis -- use a thick pillow turned sideways between your knees when on the couch, works wonders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hyr00 wrote:
Research is challenging the RICE method, but - like everything else in sports - you'll hear people swear by it and others say it doesn't work.

I would like to add an aggressive and uncomfortable; however, highly effective form of RICE that comes from other sports...

Playing American football in college, and then professionally, there is the constant threat of losing your job due to injury. A turned ankle that caused even a slight degree of immobility could cause one to sit, lose playing time, and $ (resulting in a consequent undesirable return to washing machine sales).
A little known protocol for re-gaining range of motion and a rapid return to activity, was the use of RICE which involves real discomfort, but pays huge dividends that serves me well in multi-sport, and far beyond the days when the field was green with white lines.

Tree root/pot-hole twisted ankle... The snap, crackle, pop, big swelling, yellow-brown-purple kind...
As soon as possible, immerse the entire foot in a bucket of ice water up to mid-calf. Leave it there for 10-15 min. (First 3-5 min. are really, really uncomfortable... Leave it there!)
After 15min. Lay down on floor, elevate foot to level of seated partner. Place effected foot on their shoulder (like they are playing a cello).
Have partner start at distal portion of ankle and aggressively two-hand compress (knead) the swollen area down into the inverted calf area repeatedly until unacceptable discomfort returns. Re-immerse until numb. Repeat 3-4x, 3x/day for 2 days.
Forcing lymph away from injury prevents a decrease in range of motion that would normally infiltrate the multi-articulated ankle.
This protocol has allowed many an athlete to jog in 2 days, compete in 5 with zero detriment.
PT's and athletic trainers maaaay have problem here. Some of them may want to hit me in the face with a bag of frozen peas. I'll take the peas in the face, and compete Saturday.
Quote Reply