Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is Garmin Connect saving files locally?
Quote | Reply
I just updated Garmin Connect. (NB: you have to go into the tools section to realize it needs an update as it doesn't tell you when you open Garmin Connect. It just says you have the latest version, when you don't!)
Anyway, I see Garmin Connect was not saving my files in Device Agent as Ant Agent was doing. Is it now working?
Why must we always be fooling around with some software catastrophe by manufacturers who seem to be hell bent on hiring programmers who were trained at the Mental Hospital for the Criminally Insane? Garmin's hardware is very good, but why can't they do their software right?
Also, Garmin Connect's Export function is totally ridiculous. You can't do bulk Export to, say, Training Peaks. This is one reason I pulled the plug on Polar devices. When will they learn? Make it easy! I don't want to spend all day fiddling with software.
I'm very frustrated.... Rant mode off.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Last edited by: Robert: Oct 19, 14 10:32
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin Connect saving files locally? [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert wrote:
I just updated Garmin Connect. (NB: you have to go into the tools section to realize it needs an update as it doesn't tell you when you open Garmin Connect. It just says you have the latest version, when you don't!)
Anyway, I see Garmin Connect was not saving my files in Device Agent as Ant Agent was doing. Is it now working?
Why must we always be fooling around with some software catastrophe by manufacturers who seem to be hell bent on hiring programmers who were trained at the Mental Hospital for the Criminally Insane? Garmin's hardware is very good, but why can't they do their software right?
Also, Garmin Connect's Export function is totally ridiculous. You can't do bulk Export to, say, Training Peaks. This is one reason I pulled the plug on Polar devices. When will they learn? Make it easy! I don't want to spend all day fiddling with software.
I'm very frustrated.... Rant mode off.

-Rober

I don't want to waste any time let alone all day, which is why I don't use software to analyse training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Garmin device are you using?
I have a 500 and a 910xt and nowadays they sync perfectly via Garmin Express (which saves a copy locally).
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin Connect saving files locally? [NoBrakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the 910xt. Before the update it wasn't saving files locally. I noticed the update uninstalled ant agent before applying the update. Apparently they were conflicting. Glad to hear the program is saving files locally now but how do I easily get about two weeks data into device agent? Are you using wko3?

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming you were working with the ANT Agent and now converted to Garmin Express (both programs are on your PC, they pull the activities from your 910xt and upload them to Garmin Connect.

The earliest version or two of Express did not keep files locally, but they semi-quickly fixed this issue. One bummer, however, is that Express saves to a totally different location than ANT Agent did... Thus the explorer folder that opens from a wko import will be wrong, you'll have to navigate to the new location and select the files there.

Depending on your computer OS the location may vary.

Check this site for more information...
https://support.garmin.com/...d5f4-000000000000%7D
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin Connect saving files locally? [nord0296] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changing folders was what? An attempt to piss off customers with bad decisions? It worked! Thanks for the help but now will they fix that limp lizard called garmin connect?
I was at that page by the way and saw this:
Windows Vista, 7, 8:
C:\ProgramData1\Garmin\GarminConnect\DeviceUnitID\Upload for the place where the files are located. I have no such location on my computer after the update.

-Robert

Last edited by: Robert: Oct 19, 14 12:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're meant to use Garmin Express these days.
Files are then stored at on C:\ProgramData\Garmin\GarminConnect\Forerunner 910XT-3848877885\Upload\FIT_TYPE_4 my windows 8.1 machine

To upload in WKO I just do manual upload from that location.

Garmin Connect stored them somwhere else. Just search your computer for files with suffix .fit
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin Connect saving files locally? [NoBrakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not have C:\ProgramData as a directory on my computer. I have Win 7 64 bit.

-Robert

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, none of the very few *.fit files are recent. They go back to August. And there are only 4 of them. And they aren't where you said they'd be. The four files are in my cycleops sub-directory in MyDocuments.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Robert wrote:
I do not have C:\ProgramData as a directory on my computer. I have Win 7 64 bit.

-Robert

It is a hidden folder. In explorer: Tools, Folder options, View, show hidden folders, files drives.

Also, to bulk export into training peaks, use: https://tapiriik.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin Connect saving files locally? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are uploading to Garmin Connect (using ANT+ Agent or Garmin Express) you can turn on AutoSync to upload from Garmin Connect into TrainingPeaks (which will sync back to WKO if you wnat)

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/...with-garmin-autosync

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin Connect saving files locally? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! That's great for Training Peaks, but what about getting that same data into WKO3? I like to keep it locally as well, as you may have guessed.

-Robert

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well the Garmin tools should save the files locally but you can download from TrainingPeaks into WKO

http://help.trainingpeaks.com/...ingPeaks-data-to-WKO

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, but that doesn't work. I even extended my membership. ;) I put in my username and password, then went to file, and download from TrainingPeaks.com and I get an error message referring to WKO 1!
I think my old subscription may have lapsed in September. (since racing season ended I haven't logged on much if at all.) Does it take awhile to get into the system after you re-subscribe? I have access to my account at TrainingPeaks though.

-Robert

Last edited by: Robert: Oct 19, 14 14:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It should work. Open a support ticket and they'll get it sorted.

http://help.trainingpeaks.com/anonymous_requests/new

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK. Something else to do to get this mess straight. 5 hours shot....

But...thanks.

-Robert

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another ST user helped me find where the files are stored when uploaded (Windows 7):

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\Devices/<device #>/Activities

I just pasted into my Browser, changed the <user> to my name and deleted the last two folder names (< device # >/Activities). Should be able to select them from the folder list and find the .fit files in the Activities folder.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin Connect saving files locally? [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your help! It's amazing that Garmin can't put the correct information on their help web page and we must go hunting down files.

-Robert

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, that doesn't work either. (:
The address is wrong. AppData does not appear after User/(username)/. Did you leave out a sub-directory?

-Robert

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It works on my machine (tested it to be sure). I copied that entire link as pasted in my post and then eliminated the last two folders as I mentioned. I saw my 910XT's device ID and there were a bunch of folders under that. Activities was one of them.

I'm on an older Windows 7 laptop, so maybe the file structure has changed.

I'm guessing you've already tried a "Garmin" search on your C drive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I did. Also, I have 64 bit Win7. So.... But thanks for trying to help!

-Robert

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weird. You'd think they would be saved in the same place. Note that the first folder is "Users" (at least it is on mine). But I guess you wouldn't have found your User Name if it was wrong. AppData/Roaming has a lot of other applications under it for me.

Also, I just did some searches (both GARMIN & garmin) and it found the folder. I think I had to click on the message to "index" or whatever before it really started to dig deep. I don't think it found it the first time I searched "Garmin" without clicking on that notification.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I find some Garmin sub-directories but nothing with my recent data. I'm assuming that Garmin Connect (old version) did not save the files.

But, you are right about keeping the same directories for data. Apparently, Garmin did not think to save data in Garmin Express in the same place Ant Agent did, or they couldn't for some reason not disclosed to their unsuspecting customers. That whole debacle makes Garmin look bad, imho.

-Robert

Last edited by: Robert: Oct 19, 14 15:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aha! The collective wisdom of the internet steps forward. Many thanks.

-Robert

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found it. Sheezh...what a cluster f***.
-Robert

Quote Reply

Prev Next