Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman in 65 degrees f (19 cel) and rain
Quote | Reply
Looks like my race next Sunday might be rainy either showers or more constant rain

65 Fahrenheit / 19 celcius

What would you wear

I'm thinking about not changing anything beyond maybe some arm warmers and dry clothes in transition -- but not sure it really makes a difference as i will be wet no matter what soon after and it's not really that cold

If it wasn't a race I would wear a light rain jacket but that's not aero and hoping for a top 10 in my ag
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman in 65 degrees f (19 cel) and rain [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd likely wear my normal kit.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like near perfect racing temps. Normal kit.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: May 21, 17 15:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Temperature won't be a problem. Rain and wet roads can be uncomfortable. Definitely have some dry socks for T-2. Put the socks and your run shoes in a sealed waterproof bag. If it's really wet, you'll still end up running in wet shoes and socks, but it's nice to start out dry.

Good luck!

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds perfect. Take it easy cornering on the bike course. Other than that it's just a normal racing day in a tri kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
65 is the forecast high, yes? So probably not occurring until you're on the run course (around here the high never happens until after 2pm, or rarely at least). What will the temp be when you get out of the water, and what's the expected water temp?

If I were getting out of 70 degree water into 65 degree air, I'd go tri kit. If it's different than that, maybe 65 degree water into 55 degree air, at the very least I'd have a small towel in my t-bag and I'd use it to push a bunch of water out of my tri suit. I'd also probably put on wool socks for the bike because in those conditions I think my feet might get numb. I tend to suffer a bit when my feet are numb.

After all that, sounds like you'll have ideal conditions for running fast. Go get it!

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With these temps and conditions your biggest challenge won't be getting cold but rather chafe, especially in the neck and armpits, the groin and your feet. I'd put a lot of body glide in the areas that rub against fabric and use ample chamois cream on your shorts and in the groin area.

The previous comment about keeping your run gear dry is on point. Don't underestimate the psychological boost.

If there's a chance that it clears up maybe put an old dry pair of shoes and socks that you can live with losing in run special needs along with a small towel and body glide sealed all up in plastic bags.

Will you be racing after dark and/or will the temps drop on you? Consider a light jacket if so. Depending upon your speed and goals, this might be a good race to partake in the hot soup on the run. If they don't offer that, maybe put s thermos in run SN bag also with warm soup or coffee or whatever else you might like.

Which race?

Good luck.

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is personal. For me, that would be heaven. Another vote for normal kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Place your running shoes upside down when putting them into T2! You can change socks but you don't want to start w soaked shoes :-D!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman in 65 degrees f (19 cel) and rain [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^ The races requiring checked bags and then leave them outside uncovered all night need to seriously stop doing that. You haven't raced until you've found your cinched tight and carefully folded bag tampered with and then not closed at all, the strategically placed drain hole on the bottom folded up, and the bag full of water. Fuck. Cover them! IM Europe is much better at this than US and Canada races. Whistler just leaves them on the ground in the grass near the change tent. At least with transition under the bikes we can turn the shoes upside down like you said.

Anyway. Rant over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What race are you doing???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect weather for a race.

Merino Wool socks are your friend.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman in 65 degrees f (19 cel) and rain [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman Brazil
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't do anything differently. This sounds like absolutely perfect conditions to me. You are already a bit damp for the entire race anyway, so what's a little extra cooling from mother nature?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andreasjs wrote:
Ironman Brazil

The one thing not previously posted is that you may have to pee a lot more during this race if you aren't be sweating very much. I have to pee every 1-1.5 hr when biking when the T is below 70* F.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always found that peeing on the bike is much easier in the rain.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will plan for extra smelly bike shoes this race then :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman in 65 degrees f (19 cel) and rain [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I've always found that peeing on the bike is much easier in the rain.

MUCH

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My daughter read your post...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are drinking enough, they really should not get that smelly, but I would still wash them out after the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I come from a southern state. I would have to wear a parka.
Quote Reply