Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Wales
Quote | Reply

For those that did the race this year, how was the race? There was a thread here on Slowtwitch about the weather, was it as bad as it was forecast to be?

Myself and a couple of friends are going to signup for next years race. We would like to rent a cabin or house in the area. Any recommendations? There will be a total of 9 of use, with three racing and the rest family.

Thanks.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wales [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I've seen of the coverage, FB posts etc, weather was bad during the bike - rain, 40mph+ wind gusts, and plenty of crashes. IM sent out a warning a few days prior about choice of rim depth. I read something yesterday where it was described as being up there with the worst weather they've had in 7 years, although 2014 or '15 apparently had a lumpier swim.

I was happy for the fairly light rain we got on the run in 2016 but this past weekend looked pretty miserable - real Welsh weather!

Sounds like there was some possible bike course sabotage too - oil on the road at a few tricky spots, requiring some reroutes mid-race. I guess not ALL the locals are excited to have the race in their backyard every year.

As far as accommodations for next year, your best bet might be to join the "Ironman Wales Journey" and "Ironman Wales" Facebook groups, lots of posts advertising places for rent there throughout the year, including last-minute availability due to cancellations etc. We stayed at a cabin out in New Hedges last year which was fine for what we needed, but there's probably a lot to be said for staying in town in terms of convenience etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
personally, it has been the toughest race of my life. I don't have anything in my 15 years log to compare. and I think i have done some races in extreme conditions.
The weather was miserable, rain, wind at 40mph, 12deg temp. I could not possibly perform on the bike with those conditions and it was clear from the very beginning it was going to be a survival race.
Not only dangerous ride for the rain, leaves on the ground and wind but also because we had oil on the main descent (not yet clear if sabotage or accident).
When I was in T2, i was dirty like after a MTB race
Run course is well known to be tough but i was so relieved to be safe on the run that i thought I was going to climb even the Everest peak.

Overall, great event and booked same hotel for next year. I can only do better :-)
Last edited by: Plissken74: Sep 12, 17 9:31
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wales [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, conditions were terrible, but have to say I loved the race!

Being at the pointier end of the race and riding 78mm wheels (i didn't have the option to change after the email came out saying not to), I think the only area where I was truly terrified was out at the most western point where you take a descent completely exposed to the winds. Other than that, I was just being cautious and anticipate the wind when going past gates etc but nothing too difficult to deal with. Temperature wise, I was fine with my race suit and a long sleeve aero top. I think it was a tough but reasonable route if you get times to view it first. Would be awful if you had to ride without seeing it first and obviously you had to pace it for the conditions (I didn't and came off my bike at one point) luckily a nice soft muddy landing...Only one guy got a sub 5hr bike this year and he is an ex world tour cyclist...

I have to say though the support on the run made up for anything on the weather. I think besides the odd idiot who likes to dump oil on the bike route (right on a downhill left hand turn..just to make sure they really try and hurt somebody) the area really gets behind the event. Really helps to keep you going in the tough final few hours.

As I booked quite late, I rented a 4 bedroom cottage with my family outside of town on a caravan park called Little Kings. My sister who has two young children also rented a caravan on site so that is an option. It was about 25 minutes drive outside of Tenby, but is located on the bike route quite near the big climbs to Narbeth, and Wisemans Bridge/Saundersfoot. So is good for getting in some recon rides. The staff were really friendly and they even tracked me during the race. But on the downside, I think it was a little extra logistics, as everything is based in the town. The car parks in Tenby were completely full on bike drop off day and also got quite full on race day. So it might be worth seeing if you can rent an air-bnb place in he town for a bit of convenience.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wales [msrixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
msrixon wrote:
Yes, conditions were terrible, but have to say I loved the race!

Being at the pointier end of the race and riding 78mm wheels (i didn't have the option to change after the email came out saying not to), I think the only area where I was truly terrified was out at the most western point where you take a descent completely exposed to the winds. Other than that, I was just being cautious and anticipate the wind when going past gates etc but nothing too difficult to deal with. Temperature wise, I was fine with my race suit and a long sleeve aero top. I think it was a tough but reasonable route if you get times to view it first. Would be awful if you had to ride without seeing it first and obviously you had to pace it for the conditions (I didn't and came off my bike at one point) luckily a nice soft muddy landing...Only one guy got a sub 5hr bike this year and he is an ex world tour cyclist...

I have to say though the support on the run made up for anything on the weather. I think besides the odd idiot who likes to dump oil on the bike route (right on a downhill left hand turn..just to make sure they really try and hurt somebody) the area really gets behind the event. Really helps to keep you going in the tough final few hours.

As I booked quite late, I rented a 4 bedroom cottage with my family outside of town on a caravan park called Little Kings. My sister who has two young children also rented a caravan on site so that is an option. It was about 25 minutes drive outside of Tenby, but is located on the bike route quite near the big climbs to Narbeth, and Wisemans Bridge/Saundersfoot. So is good for getting in some recon rides. The staff were really friendly and they even tracked me during the race. But on the downside, I think it was a little extra logistics, as everything is based in the town. The car parks in Tenby were completely full on bike drop off day and also got quite full on race day. So it might be worth seeing if you can rent an air-bnb place in he town for a bit of convenience.

agree, the race is fantastic. as said before, we can only do better next year.

for the accomodation, I was very lucky because on booking.com, last 2 weeks I found Southcliff accomodation, 100m from finish line, 100m from tzone. I strongly suggest you to call them and book now. they are super friendly and the place is nice. only downside, elevator is missing otherwise great for 100GBP per night
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced last year and was a Sherpa this year. Last year the conditions were great. This year they were awful.

Last year we stayed out of Tenby (on the long leg of the run, perhaps a 2 mile walk). This year was right in town. Makes a huge difference after the race. If you are out of town you will want to go to your apartment and then you will never leave again.

Weather on the bike was brutal. I ran from Tenby to the 62 mile mark 10-11 mile run) to offer support and timings. I got drenched and very, very cold, and I had 2 waterproof layers on. Some of the people on the bikes looked blue!!!!

I was at transition entry for the bike cut off, waiting for my mate to grab some food post race, and I watched about a dozen people being told they had missed the cut off. Lots of tears. It was really horrible to watch. Those guys were 11 hours in to a tough experience when they were stopped. And these were the strong ones that stuck it out. There were over 100 DNFs.

Kudos to Ironman for keeping the race on, for cleaning up and rerouting the bike course as quickly as possible. Tenby itself is wicked. It is quite literally a day long party. It is incredible to race, and it was equally incredible this year to be a supporter.

If you are considering it for next year .... DO IT!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wales [Misery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there as a first timer. The weather was really horrible, but i guess it's Wales in September so you aren't going to get heatstroke.
Logistically it is quite easy as the town is quite small and even if you end up with a hotel 10 miles away as i did, it's still an easy drive in.

It was a tough one for sure, but i alreayd want to go back next year. The local support was fantastic. Thousands of people out on the course shouting and dancing and playing music and encouraging you. If they could be out there standing still in that rain then i had nothing to complain about being a bit wet and cold on the bike.

I loved it. It's tough but utterly awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wales [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, I love the feedback as this one is definitely on our bucket list! Doing IM Copenhagen next year. The weather sounded brutal in Wales. Though my husband really loves that kind of crazy cold windy rainy weather (he grew up in snow country). Me...not so much but I can deal with it.

How was the swim?? It's a rolling start now right? And how choppy does it get?

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wales [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The swim was brilliant. The best part of the whole day. It's a really sheltered bay, facing East, so the massive stormy winds didn't touch it. It's 2 laps, self seeded rolling start. Lots of room to spread out. The easiest swim i've had. At worst there was a slight swell and a couple of inches of wind chop on lap 2.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wales [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RCCo wrote:
The swim was brilliant. The best part of the whole day. It's a really sheltered bay, facing East, so the massive stormy winds didn't touch it. It's 2 laps, self seeded rolling start. Lots of room to spread out. The easiest swim i've had. At worst there was a slight swell and a couple of inches of wind chop on lap 2.

Thanks! That does sound great! Although after being the last swim wave (1.5 hrs after the start) at worlds and dealing with the increased current from a hydro electric plant, I think I'm ready to handle anything.....but a nice swim would always be welcome!!!

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Last edited by: 70Trigirl: Sep 14, 17 7:14
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wales [msrixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
msrixon wrote:
I think the only area where I was truly terrified was out at the most western point where you take a descent completely exposed to the winds.

Freshwater West, where you descend with the sea to your left, into the dunes? That was hairy enough with lighter winds and 60mm wheels last year, it must have been... "interesting" in this year's conditions!

Did you get blasted with sand going through the dunes?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wales [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be the place. Was not really an experience that I would like to repeat too often. Was no problem getting down to the dunes, with all the rain the sand wasn't getting blown about too much. Which I guess is a positive side to the crap weather :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wales [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't rely on it though, in 2014 there was 3-4 foot waves, difficult to sight and 80 people pulled out by lifeguards! Following year was better but much worse than this year, which was probably the best conditions I've ever seen for the swim.
But all the stories about the support are absolutely true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
Not only dangerous ride for the rain, leaves on the ground and wind but also because we had oil on the main descent (not yet clear if sabotage or accident). quote]

Cold of someone to do that.

Looking online, it seems most of the self catering accommodations in Tenby have already been reserved! I am starting to look nearby. How about the Saundersfoot area?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM Wales 2015 was my favourite race of the 15 or so IMs I have done since starting in 2000. nothing compares. But then again, I am born to welsh parents living in Canada and grew up very much to the anthem and the culture so being on the beach to the anthem alone was enough to make it great. then the support was beyond anything I have experienced in other races.

race report link below if you care.

http://rhysspencer.blogspot.ca/...nd-my-return-to.html

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wales [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
being on the beach to the anthem alone was enough to make it great

My eyes got leaky at that point!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes. 100% agreed!!!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wales [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
IM Wales 2015 was my favourite race of the 15 or so IMs I have done since starting in 2000. nothing compares. But then again, I am born to welsh parents living in Canada and grew up very much to the anthem and the culture so being on the beach to the anthem alone was enough to make it great. then the support was beyond anything I have experienced in other races.

race report link below if you care.http://rhysspencer.blogspot.ca/...nd-my-return-to.html[/quote[/url]]

I have read your race report, thank you for posting it!

I will post mine about a year from now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same here and I'm not even Welsh! Damn those folks can sing!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wales [Shutt58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wales 2014 was my first iron man and first sea swim. The joke was even the swim isn't flat in Wales. Don't let that put you off though, it wasn't that bad. The race itself is fantastic and the support running through the town is amazing. Can't recommend this race enough. Just driving into Tenby down the run route last weekend to support, not even racing, brought the memories flooding back. In 2014 I was even the top name on the athlete t-shirt which was a bit of a comedy bonus when I'm a BOP person.

Staying in town is best of you can. I stayed at the Royal Lion in Tenby with a clubmate overlooking the swim start. The staff were friendly and helpful and were fine with all the kit in the rooms. You can also book apartments or houses in the town if you want your own kitchens to prepare your own food. I went this year with my kids to support and we camped at Kiln Park just outside the town on the bike loop. They have static caravans mainly but take motor homes, caravans and tents.
Last edited by: Ian A: Sep 15, 17 2:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got back after spending a few days in London - Im one of the guys that didnt make it out on the run and missed bike cutoff by 3 minutes - first time Ive missed a cutoff in 20 IM's - I did lanzarotte last year and thought it was hard - in my book the Wales bike course is harder and then just pile on cold rain wet leaves, sand, oil , big man hole covers and gale force winds - Im not experienced biker but I thought the course to be quite technical lots of tight turns and many were blind - I just didn't have to balls to take a lot of the cornering given the conditions - although disappointed I just had a blast doing the race and would rate the whole expereince as A+ - I will return as it tested me both physically and mentally - sometimes the course wins and Im ok with that - nothing wrong with a good humbling experience to make you work harder
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wales [leeman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's me decided for next year. Booked accommodation now ready for when general entries open next week.
Last edited by: Ian A: Sep 15, 17 16:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMWales is fabulous. Best bike course. I've done 12. Placid, Tremblant, IMCan in Penticton and Kona. Did Wales in 14, the swim was uphill. This year the swim was great. Bike was good except windy for the first hour. I wore a thick bike jersey over my tri top for the bike and I was fine. I suspected the cold but never got cold. Everything everyone else wrote above about the conditions reflect my own opinion. I lost a bit of courage on the down hills in the rain with those metal grates everywhere. Lots of foliage on the road, it was hilarious. I was on the bike an extra 45 minutes. Sun came out for most of my run but the wind was still howling. Put my long sleeve on for the last run lap. I stayed right at the finish line, Belgrave hotel, not expensive but don't expect much, food was great except the porridge on race morning. The bike course is a bit technical but very interesting. Town is small and crowded, parking not great, the fan support is second to none. Do it!
Quote Reply