Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman University
Quote | Reply
Looks like WTC has created their alternative to the USAT coaching certification.

http://university.ironman.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman University [mikedonia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just read this and I'm still in disbelief.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are quite possibly one of the greatest marketing machines I have ever seen. Right at this moment there are people tripping over themselves to throw their money to these guys and get this certification. Winning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you think about it it's kind of surprising they haven't done it sooner.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not an alternative.

At least when USAT takes all of my money, they give me liability insurance in return.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman University [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given how unqualified some USAT Level 1 coaches are on long course this isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman University [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no guarantee that these coaches will be any more qualified or less qualified on long course or any course for that matter

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: May 14, 15 14:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Given how unqualified some USAT Level 1 coaches are on long course this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I must have missed how the WTC training would ensure this wouldn't happen with their program?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully these coaches will be instructed on the proper way to fire a client.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman University [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
no guarantee that these coaches will be any more qualified or less qualified on long course or any course for that matter

Likely just some sort of pay for access model, IE jump through the hoops and you will get the opportunity to post a blog on IM website or get access to e-mails lists etc.

....would love to see the content ;-)

Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: May 14, 15 14:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The latest entry in Ironman's quest to overcomplicate the sport.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman University [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, definite access model. You know people are probably going to swam over these certified coaches as authorities/experts even though I estimate half probably couldn't coach themselves out of a box(I may be underestimating based on what I see around AZ). I see a lot of new(er) coaches, coaches that have room for more athletes consistently, local coaches looking to expand their business base turning to this program to grow their revenue.

I also see it as simplifying the whole how do I find a coach process. There are so many shitty coaches out there this may help people wade through the weeds. No guarantees of quality though.

I think it fits in rather well with their club program as well. Lot's of those clubs have club coaches (in full disclosure I've been paid by a club to advise on how to set up some training sessions). These coaches get some cash for helping out etc. Why not use this hand in hand to generate more business?

I'm sure some serious athletes will go there as well looking for coaches. I just don't see it as the place AGers who are making the jump to or want to make the jump to pro, AGers who are at, nearly at the top of the AG ranks, are in the top 5 OV age grouper consistently going there for a coach. I find it interesting that some of the coaches listed are management for their coaching business vs actually still coaching.

I see it working well for that person who wants someone to help them set up their training bc they don't want IM to be a sufferfest for how ever long they are out there.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: May 14, 15 15:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
......they don't want IM to be a sufferfest for how ever long they are out there.

Back it up.

It's not *supposed* to be a sufferfest? Jesus, I have totally been doing something wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will women be allowed equal representation on the course?

But seriously, yes, I'm surprised they haven't done it sooner. That lost lottery money isn't going to find itself

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman University [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many people refer to it as the Harvard of online coaching degrees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I use my kid's 529 College Savings Plan to pay for this? It is a University...

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman University [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they tried to figure out a way to ban people from using non IMU (wait did I just give it initials like a real college???) coaches, or at least try.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
no guarantee that these coaches will be any more qualified or less qualified on long course or any course for that matter.

x2

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are quite correct but may we assume that with a name like "Ironman University" that at least the focus will be on long course?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
You are quite correct but may we assume that with a name like "Ironman University" that at least the focus will be on long course?

Who knows, what with 70.3 and 5150 out there. Or had 5150 bitten the dust?

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman University [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5150 bit the dust the same year it started.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:

With a name like this, I can't wait to see people doing 5h-2h bricks. Because, bricks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with much of what is posted here, especially in relation to some USAT coaches. However, if WTC puts Paula, Roch, Heather and Paul in charge, it will be quite well done. Having known them for a long time, they are great as athletes, coaches, and ambassadors to the sport. Tons of knowledge and experience there, if WTC is smart enough to use it.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once everybody is a pseudo-certified coach with no real education or experience, who will coach the coaches to race the races they are supposed to be coaching the racers to race?

Jimmy Archer
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman University [dirtTRI.com] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to read that three times to fully get your drift- but it did make me chuckle eventually!! :-)

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply

Prev Next