Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Triathlon tattoos [agegrouptri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello agegrouptri and All,

My wife colors her hair.

The product 'Garnier Nutrisse' has a warning:

IF YOU HAVE A TATTOO the risk of allergic reaction may be increased.

Something systemic may be going on with a tattoo ..... ?

Cheers,

Neal

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I survived 10 years in the US Navy without getting a single tattoo. One of my friends in college got a tattoo freshman year. Before the end of the year he swore it was the dumbest thing he ever did. This has often made me think, just because something is so cool today that I want to get it inked onto my body will it be cool when I'm 60? What about 80?

I have never done an ironman, so I can't speak from that point of view. But after reading all of the negative comments about ironman tattoos, I'm think this: If that tattoo is the only thing motivating you, and is what it takes to get you over the hump, go for it. If personal pride is your sole motivator, then a tattoo probably won't do much for you.

I've thought about should I ever get a triathlon tattoo of any kind it would be only for 70.3s and 140.6s. It'd probably be a small swin, bike and run icon with dates, distances and locations scripted below it. It would only be visible in shorts also, never in any kind of work clothing.

Of course, after surviving 10 years of naval service without a tattoo, I mostly just think tattoos are definitely not for me.

--------------------------------------------------------

You will remain the same person, before, during and after the race. So the result, no matter how important, will not define you. The journey is what matters. ~ Chrissie W.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People with tatoos are just show offs, a status simbol. And a status is when you try to impress people you don't care about. Those you care about know you anyway, with or without tatoos. They just hope that someone will see the tatoo and say "wooooooow, you are an Ironman, soooooo cooooool" and your ego goes up and up and you think "I am sooooooo cooooool"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a similar problem.

In year 3 I came 8th out of 10 in the 100m at school. I'm thinking I would like a "I ran in a race" tattoo.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good one?

:)
Last edited by: Rocketman: Dec 24, 10 0:04
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Triathlon tattoos [Cufe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cufe wrote:
This topic keeps coming up, and I just can't help tossing this one out (again)....there are two types of Ironman athletes; those with a tattoo, and those that don't need one ....
As Iron sharpens Iron, so One Man Sharpens Another ~ Proverbs 27:17

coopdog wrote:
Fail:

Dude there are lots of different types of people, including those who publicly broadcast Bible passages.

For me, there are several types of people, those that need religion, and those that don't need it. . . . .

Though I'm on the "Mdot tattoo is to commercial" bus; I do love tattoos! I tend to lean to the more original and symbolic swim bike run figures etc. I'm considering something myself. I'm fairly interested in the more scientific side of things . . . mixed with my humanist/naturalist/a-theistic side. I thinking of adding a small peridioc table of elements box depicting the designation of elemint Hu (for human) with an atomic number/mass 23/46 (chromosome haploid etc) and of course Fe for Iron . . . with some numbers special to me . . .so FeHu boxes hmmmm
Last edited by: mjcrna: Dec 24, 10 7:22
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Triathlon tattoos [mjcrna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't an atheist simply have the absence of a tattoo?

Damn, that's a cold ass honkey.
Last edited by: dubyakay: Dec 24, 10 4:40
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Triathlon tattoos [dubyakay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dubyakay wrote:
Wouldn't an atheist simply have the absence of a tattoo?

Or perhaps a tattoo without meaning, lol

Or maybe as Pascal might put it . . . .It is better to have a tattoo and be wrong, than to live a life without a tattoo. . . .
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Triathlon tattoos [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
People with tatoos are just show offs, a status simbol. And a status is when you try to impress people you don't care about. Those you care about know you anyway, with or without tatoos. They just hope that someone will see the tatoo and say "wooooooow, you are an Ironman, soooooo cooooool" and your ego goes up and up and you think "I am sooooooo cooooool"

All people without a tattoo are boring and dull.

Is that logic valid? No.

Don't pretend to know the intentions of everyone with a tattoo.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Triathlon tattoos [Rocketman] Top 10 finsiher [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocketman wrote:
I have a similar problem.

In year 3 I came 8th out of 10 in the 100m at school. I'm thinking I would like a "I ran in a race" tattoo.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good one?

:)
How about a tatto that reads "Top 10 finisher" or one of the examples from this web site?

http://www.ironmate.info/...red/ironman-tattoos/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Triathlon tattoos [Rocketman] Top 10 finsiher [ironmate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the Lanzarote '08 and Switzerland '09 guy limited to a lifetime quota
of 2 IM due to his tattoo configuration?

Quote | Reply
Here is the one I got when I finished Lake Placid!

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Triathlon tattoos [Finnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So is that one and done? It looks like you could nicely stack some more names underneath. Hope you have exceptionally long legs as double motivation.

Quote | Reply
I'm thinking of getting the Nike logo because I have a pair of their trainers.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Triathlon tattoos [triathlonstu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triathlonstu wrote:
I'm thinking of getting the Nike logo because I have a pair of their trainers.

Yes, because that is EXACTLY the same as the M-Dot. Well done sir! <golf clap> Well done!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WWJBD?.....ahhh, no tattoo! WWKMD?.....ahhh, no tatoo!....WWCWD.....ahhh, no tatoo!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Triathlon tattoos [Cufe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cufe wrote:
WWJBD?.....ahhh, no tattoo! WWKMD?.....ahhh, no tatoo!....WWCWD.....ahhh, no tatoo!

Umm ... Jack Bauer has a tattoo. Kiefer Sutherland (who has multiple tattoos), got the Jack Bauer tattoo for real so he would not have to go through make up.

When his character, Jack Bauer, got a new tattoo (part of the plot line) for Season 3 of "24" (2001) instead of having to go though tedious make up for each scene which the tattoo would show, Kiefer had a real tattoo inked onto his arm.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/...amp;client=firefox-a

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Triathlon tattoos [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

some i like some i dont, never seen one i like on anyone over 70 though how about you?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finnman wrote:
Here is the one I got when I finished Lake Placid!

How does this make you feel? (Pronaunced in a quiet, concerned voice while you are on a couch in a quiet room)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Triathlon tattoos [Rocketman] Top 10 finsiher [ironmate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can I still use the M dot or should I use the school emblem?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Triathlon tattoos [MRoudabush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

After IMFL this year I got mine and I'm 64! My last IM was Kona in 1987 (and, yes, we did have to qualify back then). It's never too late to have fun.

MRoudabush wrote:
Tom Demerly wrote:
Before you get any tattoo consider that it is something you will still hve when you are 50, 60, 70 years old. Will you still want it then? If so- proceed. If in doubt, perhaps better to wait.

Just got mine, I'm 54, means more at this age then when I was 30.:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agegrouptri wrote:
Thinking of getting an ironman triathlon tattoo.
Now done 5 Ironman races want soemthing a bit special.
Googled ironman Tattoos loads of stuck nothing relating to the M dot.
Cant find one web site with lots of Ironman or Triathlon tattoos anyone out there come across such a thing?
Do send me a link.

The more you try to be different, the more you are just the same.

Quote | Reply
140.6girl wrote:
some i like some i dont, never seen one i like on anyone over 70 though how about you?

While I was in college, I did a lot of work in the VA Hospital in Lafayette, IN. Many of the (few remaining) WWII vets had tattoos ... and incredible stories that went along with them. Yeah, I liked them. I liked them a lot.

If I make it to 70, I only hope someone cares enough to ask about mine. Granted, it was no WWII, but, my tribute to the 4 guys I lost in the Gulf has some pretty incredible (to me at least) stories attached to it.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Triathlon tattoos [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh no, you can't even compare a weakass Mdot tatoo to one you got in the military, especially if you saw action. My grandfather had a tatoo of his ships name from WWII on his arm, so dude, you more than earned your tatoo regardless of what war it is from. Good on ya.

Last edited by: thetodd: Dec 25, 10 10:19
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Triathlon tattoos [thetodd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thetodd wrote:
Oh no, you can't even compare a weakass Mdot tatoo to one you got in the military, especially if you saw action. My grandfather had a tatoo of his ships name from WWII on his arm, so dude, you more than earned your tatoo regardless of what war it is from. Good on ya.

No-no! NOT comparing an M-Dot to an Army/Military tattoo. No way. Specifically commenting on the question of whether I ever saw a tattoo (any tattoo) on a 70 year old that I like.

There have been a number of comment on tattoos, in general, on this thread. Not just the M-Dot.

As I said in an earlier post, I have "140.6" with a stick figure swim, bike, run under. No M-Dot, but, I have no opposition to M-Dot tattoos, or any tattoos for that matter (I have a number, most of which I got during my Army days).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a good link for ya to ogle some ink:

http://www.everymantri.com/everyman_triathlon/2010/05/photo-gallary-the-art-of-the-ironman-tattoo-or-when-a-boring-mdot-just-wont-do.html

Ben Greenfield

Ben Greenfield

Nutrition & Human Performance Advice
http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next