Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, for those heading to Tremblant to race the 70.3 this weekend or the Ironman in August, we can use this thread to answer event/venue/logistics related Q&A.

I wrote this article for the 70.3 event in 2013. It largely applies other than a subtle difference in the bike course (first turnaround is further out, second turnaround is closer in, third turnaround is closer in than in 2013). Entire course is basically the same as the 70.3 June event from last year. The run course is no longer on a crushed gravel path....that was paved last year. (Edit: I had down that it was same as 70.3 WC course....it is same as last year's June and Aug courses according to the guide).

Edit 2: Run course is the same as the 70.3 in June EXCEPT in the ski resort we use the same finish circuit (with the climb to the top of the resort) as the 70.3 WC. This means we go shorter out of the second run turnaround (it might actually be gone depending on what they measure out).

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Lifestyle/A_70.3_Mt_Tremblant_primer_3701.html

Swim waves are up, and unlike the 70.3 world's where there was one wave per age group, the spacing is further apart with multiple waves per age group (as was done in the June 70.3 last year....in fact, spacing may be he same):

http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz3d8MuoZVq

I will check in on this thread a few times per day and try to answer questions. There are enough people around here other than me who have done the races at Tremblant who will also likely jump in.

Make sure you/families spend some time enjoying the resort. There is a ton more to do in Tremblant other than tri stuff. Safe travels to all of you. It will be awesome to have many of you in our backyard this weekend.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jun 26, 15 20:16
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The third bike turn, is that the one at the top of the steep climb at about the 80km mark? So has the climb been shortened?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gibson00 wrote:
The third bike turn, is that the one at the top of the steep climb at about the 80km mark? So has the climb been shortened?

The last turnaround in closer in. There is a marginal amount of climbing lost at the far end from the original third U turn and some climbing lost from the second original turn in the village of St Jovite. This seems to be more than made up for by the new first U turn that is after a decent climb and decent, meaning you have to climb back up after the turn.

2013 course

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/332378384

2014 course

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/530452290

Please note that I MAY have my years mixed up. They either changed the bike course between 2013 and 2014 or it was done between 2012 and 2013. Certainly 2015 is different from 2012 for what that is worth. I've done all 7 Mdot races in Tremblant (3x140.6, 4x70.3) so sometimes it has hard to remember what tweaks happened when.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for doing this Dev. How far is parking from the transition area? Will we be able to walk back to the car to drop things off after transition is closed?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hwangnyc wrote:
Thanks for doing this Dev. How far is parking from the transition area? Will we be able to walk back to the car to drop things off after transition is closed?

Not the best person to answer this, because I always stay in the resort and walk to transition in the morning. We'll need some other guys to come on this thread and chime in. There is a parking lot not far from transition, but I don't know if you can get into it before the race. I know you can't drive out of that parking lot till well after the race as it is 89K into the bike and people are biking by there all day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good info non the less, thanks! Do you know if there are wet suit strippers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you ask nicely, Dev will strip for you. Will that do?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, would you strip my wetsuit? Pretty please?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as I know, you can park at P2 (which is about 100 meters away from transition) if you're on site Thursday-Friday.

However, if you park at P2, you won't be able to drive out until after the race on Sunday at 5PM.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [Henki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you sure about P2? P2 is on the bike course but not the run course. In the past I have parked at P2 and was able to leave after the bike cutoff.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, P2 is on the bike course!

I'm only quoting the condo administration where I'm staying. They're giving me a free late checkout until 5PM since they say they access to the village is closed off until then.

It's always possible that they open the roads earlier though after the bike cutoff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know the water temperature? Someone had to ask....
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [uksoxfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just saw from the other thread that they were 60 this past weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [uksoxfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uksoxfan wrote:
I just saw from the other thread that they were 60 this past weekend.

I am not there yet and won't be there till Saturday. Someone posted this on their facebook page yesterday:

I am actually surprised it is that cold. I swam in Mirror lake 10 days ago with wetsuit in the morning without feeling too cold and then I swam without wetsuit for 500m in the afternoon after we did a run. Mirror Lake, is much more shallow than Lac Tremblant and realistically not much further south. Lac Tremblant is also generally not too much colder than some of the local lakes here in Ottawa and people have been swimming for over 2 weeks without a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam Saturday and Sunday. It was cold, but tolerable. Initial shock going in, swam 2k, never thought about it really except at the end where I started breaststroke to play with the kids on the pier and realized I needed to move more :) Lots of people swimming midday. The course is not yet marked, there are buoys for training though that make more or less 3.8km back and forth.

Saturday was 59, went full neoprene (cap, wetsuit, gloves, boots). Sunday was 60, cap + wetsuit. No difference really except that I realized I don't enjoy neoprene boots anyway, they seem to drag me down and I swear my feet were colder than Sunday.

Saturday was extremely choppy. 2' waves. Pretty annoying. Sunday was calm and flat.

Note for those who will run this week: one part of the road (bridge right after the beach) is under construction, will be finished this week (they have to because while runners could run on the bridge, buses transporting volunteers could not). You will be diverted through a mountain path until then - it is a much hillier path than the actual 21.1km course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev...

Both links take you to the 70.3 swim waves.

Doing the Ironman in August...really looking forward to it. Getting up there over a week early and renting a cabin to enjoy the area, and then do the race. It looks like a gorgeous venue....totally stoked.

Spot

Quote | Reply
Im thinking about signing up for the IM in 2016. When does general registration fill up? Want to leave it as late as possible for a number of reason.

Thanks and good luck for 2015
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Paul I have a quick question. I did the half last year and going back this Aug for my first full. In terms of the swim, can you swim on either side of the buoys (labeled 1 to 13) or do you have to keep them on your right? Also, are there as many buoys as the course map shows? I hope so in that with all those buoys sighting should be easier. Thanks.

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/20b22df1bbdd4155a1e85d82291cb05f/d%205403%20map%202015%20irm%20swim%20an%20v2.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
Hey Paul I have a quick question. I did the half last year and going back this Aug for my first full. In terms of the swim, can you swim on either side of the buoys (labeled 1 to 13) or do you have to keep them on your right? Also, are there as many buoys as the course map shows? I hope so in that with all those buoys sighting should be easier. Thanks.

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/20b22df1bbdd4155a1e85d82291cb05f/d%205403%20map%202015%20irm%20swim%20an%20v2.pdf

We have always been allowed to swim left and right of the buoy line EXCEPT the last buoy that you must swim to the left of when going around the far ends of the course (turns).
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Dev...

Both links take you to the 70.3 swim waves.

Doing the Ironman in August...really looking forward to it. Getting up there over a week early and renting a cabin to enjoy the area, and then do the race. It looks like a gorgeous venue....totally stoked.

Spot

Sorry should be fixed now. Let me know if it still does not take you to the primer article
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay cool. Thanks. Do you recall that they will have approximately 13 buoys each way for a total of over 26 as shown?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
Okay cool. Thanks. Do you recall that they will have approximately 13 buoys each way for a total of over 26 as shown?

I believe the WTC standard is supposed to be one large on every 100m or so, give or take, so that sounds about right. This was not the case at IM South Africa, where I left the East Cape of South Africa and felt like I was swimming into shark infested waters across the Indian Ocean towards either India or Australia....they literally had 4 buoys on that course and with the massive ocean swell and the sun rising in Nelson Mandela Bay, impossible to see where you were....on the other hand in Tremblant, sighting is dead easy. Keep the mountains on your right on the way out, and keep them on your left on the way in. You can't really veer too far off course doing that. But yes, there are plenty of marker buoys. You should be good to not get lost and there are no sharks in Lac Tremblant either, unlike the Indian Ocean off South Africa's east cape!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great thanks. Looking forward to race day. BTW you had given some advice on training for this event around 10 months back. I still think about what you said and pretty much try to follow it. Part of it was make sure I run around 26 miles per week, etc. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the full in August and will be heading there early July for some training days. Is it possible to train on the 117 or what's the best way to familiarize with bike course or come close to training on similar roads? Do you have any tips to make the most of my 4 days there in July? The swim/run training involves a lot less logistics so I'm not worried about that. I read that there are some buoys on the lake to help simulate the course, and for the run I'll pick a few sections to make up my volume for the day.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [milos11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milos11 wrote:
I'm doing the full in August and will be heading there early July for some training days. Is it possible to train on the 117 or what's the best way to familiarize with bike course or come close to training on similar roads? Do you have any tips to make the most of my 4 days there in July? The swim/run training involves a lot less logistics so I'm not worried about that. I read that there are some buoys on the lake to help simulate the course, and for the run I'll pick a few sections to make up my volume for the day.

Cheers

You can do the run course any time and there is very little traffic.

For the swim, they will put back the swim practice buoys after 70.3 until 140.6. The reason is that there are boats on the lake, so the practice buoys are put to the side (the real swim course is a little more in the middle of the lake). Just make sure you're visible (torpedo, safety swimmer, etc.)

For the bike, you can easily practice on the 117. The shoulder is fairly large. Do not bike in the lane. Montée Ryan shoulder is narrower but ok. Duplessis is narrow as well, but there are few cars on Duplessis.
Quote Reply

Prev Next