Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Texas - Bike Setup For Wind on Hardy Toll Rd
Quote | Reply
Thanks in advance!

Per race reports for the 2017 IMTX there was a strong head wind on the way back on Hardy Toll Rd.

It sounds like this is typical for late April in Houston so I'm mentally banking on the fact that 2018 will be as well. I did not race this past year.

In regards to bike set up, what are most folks leaning towards for tire selection? 404 or 808?

I will race at about 155lbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas - Bike Setup For Wind on Hardy Toll Rd [thunderdouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year it felt like the wind was either in your face or at your back. I'm planning to run an 808 front and disc back and I'm 15 lb lighter than you.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas - Bike Setup For Wind on Hardy Toll Rd [thunderdouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it depends on the confidence you have in your bike handling skills. If you only have to deal with head and tailwinds, get whatever is most aero. If you deal with crosswinds, then use whatever front wheel you feel you can handle in those winds, the shallower the easier, in general. Personally, I'll be using a 60mm front, and 90mm rear at IMTX 2018. I train quite a bit in very windy conditions, and I know that's a good setup for me. If you can, try and find out what works best for you and go with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas - Bike Setup For Wind on Hardy Toll Rd [wjoiner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I'm leaning toward 808 front and back. Unfortunately haven't ridden a disc and am likely renting 808's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it last year. The wind was not bad early on, but picked up considerably as time went on. It was the worst on the final loop from the far turn around back into waterway. I went from averaging 18-19 mph down to 11-13 :( for a portion. If you are fast it will be less of an issue ha. I ran 60/90 and felt fine, could have run a disc if I had one. Bike course was well setup, and could be very fast for many people. The overpasses are more than they appear!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas - Bike Setup For Wind on Hardy Toll Rd [Tigertater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tigertater wrote:
I did it last year. The wind was not bad early on, but picked up considerably as time went on. It was the worst on the final loop from the far turn around back into waterway. I went from averaging 18-19 mph down to 11-13 :( for a portion. If you are fast it will be less of an issue ha. I ran 60/90 and felt fine, could have run a disc if I had one. Bike course was well setup, and could be very fast for many people. The overpasses are more than they appear!

Agreed on all points.

The wind last year was abnormal due to the front blowing through when it did. The truly fast guys on the bike were done before it hit, but the slowpokes like me were somewhere on their second lap when the north wind really picked up. That last trip up the toll road was brutal. I was on 60/90 combo as well and would have hapily used a 90/disc if I had such a setup.

The good news is Hardy is pretty close to being aligned with the prevailing winds whether you have another cold front this year or the usual stuff blowing in from the coast, crosswinds shouldn't be a huge problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
808/disc. Used it last year as well and was happy with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is an old wind rose showing that the prevailing winds for April are primarily out of the S/SE.

Last year the winds were almost nonexistent until the front moved through around noon.
Last edited by: MKATC: Jan 5, 18 8:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run 808/Disc and hunker down!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're renting from race day wheels just email them and they'll change it from 808 rear to disc. You don't need to worry about handling from the rear wheel.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cross wind/ gust handling will be better with a disc in the back.

Then just go as deep as you can handle well in the front.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas - Bike Setup For Wind on Hardy Toll Rd [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkippyKitten wrote:
Cross wind/ gust handling will be better with a disc in the back.

Then just go as deep as you can handle well in the front.

+1. keep the disk in the back. Front is the issue.

I live in a very gusty windy place but disclaimer I weigh 180lbs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as others have said, two things:

1. always run a disc. more stable in crosswinds and more aero in head/tail winds
2. run the depth front wheel that you can handle for the crosswinds, which look non-existent based on the prevailing winds.

Corollary: run a shallower front than rear for added stability

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas - Bike Setup For Wind on Hardy Toll Rd [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never rode a disc and as noted am renting... how terrible of an idea is it to show up on race day and ride a disc without much 'practice' prior?

Might be a stupid question, how hard is it to change a flat on disc/808?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thunderdouble wrote:
I've never rode a disc and as noted am renting... how terrible of an idea is it to show up on race day and ride a disc without much 'practice' prior?

Might be a stupid question, how hard is it to change a flat on disc/808?

Thanks!

Rear wheel, don't worry about it. It's the front wheel you should worry about. If you haven't practiced on an 808 front, don't race in one. I only use discs in races because I don't own one, I rent. The only difference on race day is that I go a little bit faster on the same wattage.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only issue with a disc would be needing a crack pipe (the angled pump adapter) for your floor pump. You may also need different length valve stems or an extension for your spare tube, which would be an issue with a 60/90 wheel combo as well.

If you know what brand you are renting I am sure people on the forum can tell you what you should pack for tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas - Bike Setup For Wind on Hardy Toll Rd [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
The only issue with a disc would be needing a crack pipe (the angled pump adapter) for your floor pump. You may also need different length valve stems or an extension for your spare tube, which would be an issue with a 60/90 wheel combo as well.

If you know what brand you are renting I am sure people on the forum can tell you what you should pack for tubes.

I like your thinking... it's not just the riding, there's also the logistics to consider for a well executed Ironman

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas - Bike Setup For Wind on Hardy Toll Rd [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed! A little quicker ride can be trashed not knowing how to overcome a mechanical issue.
Quote Reply