Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Rome?
Quote | Reply
http://www.endurancesportswire.com/...-middle-east-africa/

It's Italy for sure. Based on the location of the announcement, I would assume in the Rome area.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Rome? [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some really useful news for me in there.
An extra UK race is always welcome, and my other half has been wanting to go to Estonia for a while now. Maybe I can kill two birds with on stone and get a foreign 70.3 in with the trip too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tjfry wrote:
http://www.endurancesportswire.com/...-middle-east-africa/

It's Italy for sure. Based on the location of the announcement, I would assume in the Rome area.

I am from Rome and I can tell you it will be well outside the city, around Civitavecchia on the coast. Coming from USA you my think you go to Rome but you will see you ll be far and not convenient to get into the city
I am awaiting to see where can be the cycling route. Roads around there can be in terrible conditions (today).

Different story for the 70.3 Rome which apparently should be in the south of the city, inside the ring

But nothing is official so let's wait October 17th
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure I read the release as meaning there is an event in Rome. The announcement is in Rome. Is there any chance that Ironman is poaching yet another Challenge event and Venice is about to become an Ironman? The release also says races in Italy, not race. Could mean Challenge Rimini or Challenge Sardinia are on the table as well?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone care to speculate where the new UK race will be? Scotland or (Norhern) Ireland would sure get my attention.

Cheers!

Munq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump...its the 17th, and I cannot find anything on any announcement in Italy. Anyone else?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Rome? [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
bump...its the 17th, and I cannot find anything on any announcement in Italy. Anyone else?

I am interested as well. I have plans for IM zurich in 2017 with a italy vacation afterwards.

Won't be likely due to heat that time of year but if it was in July or august I am in
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Rome? [spinalrx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Announced.

Ironman civitavechia(just north west of rome) full mid octoberl and HIM rome august 20 2016r.... i can't spell it

I may pass on IMZURICH and do half in rome.....October is no good for teacher family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great, just what we need, another stinking fall ironman. Pink.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Link? What's the news on the new UK race?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Rome? [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw it on the ironman italy fb page
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Rome? [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK race is not going to be announced for several months per the article on new European races ... see news on Ironman.com.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For anyone who's complained about crappy traffic on Ironman day...expect a whole new level of suckiness with Rome traffic!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bike route along the Almafi Coast would be epic.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Rome? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So with IM Italia that means Europe will now have more # of IM's than US/CAN.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Rome? [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That might be a shock to those who believe the triathlon world revolves around the US. Still, a spring option in Europe would be nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Rome? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
For anyone who's complained about crappy traffic on Ironman day...expect a whole new level of suckiness with Rome traffic!

This. However, I would be looking forward to rows of espresso lined up at the aid stations. I'm just picturing Frodo running through an aid station and being stopped by the nonna who is volunteering: "Mangia! Mangia! You a-so skinny! You must sit and eat!"

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Ohhhh, the colosseum. You should see the colosseum. A million voices, speaking as one, rising up, up, like, like.... storm."

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

70.3 in Roma Aug 20th
140.6 in Citavechia Oct 16th.

Citavechia is along the coast probably only 80K or so from Rome. I raced in the Citavechia+Lago di Bracchiano aread NW of Rome way back in 1995. Region is awesome. Looking forward to hearing the course details and if it will be a swim in the Mediterranean or in Lake Bracchiano...course could have a lot of vertical via rollers

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Oct 17, 15 18:12
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Rome? [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFWTri wrote:
So with IM Italia that means Europe will now have more # of IM's than US/CAN.[/quote

Why are you surprise? European races still sell out, Austria, Frankfurt, Sweden, Copenhagen, Roth sport seems to be growing there....don't think there will be any new full IM races in N America for a while.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Rome? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom Demerly wrote:
"Ohhhh, the colosseum. You should see the colosseum. A million voices, speaking as one, rising up, up, like, like.... storm."

HAHA! You knew Marcus Aurelius?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Rome? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Tom Demerly wrote:

HAHA! You knew Marcus Aurelius?

Unleash hell.

But seriously...August in Rome...hot and humid, no?
Last edited by: sinkinswimmer: Oct 17, 15 19:52
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Rome? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks spectacular but the October date is a show stopper. I am trying to advance my IM selection to July or earlier to avoid having to do long runs in the Tampa summer. North America needs more options than just Texas and Whistler. I'm waiting to here what they announce about England but it wouldn't surprise me if they just revived and took over the defunct Challenge Henley on Thames. I don't expect any early season races in Northern Europe which is why the dates for Italy are such a disappointment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
It looks spectacular but the October date is a show stopper. I am trying to advance my IM selection to July or earlier to avoid having to do long runs in the Tampa summer. North America needs more options than just Texas and Whistler. I'm waiting to here what they announce about England but it wouldn't surprise me if they just revived and took over the defunct Challenge Henley on Thames. I don't expect any early season races in Northern Europe which is why the dates for Italy are such a disappointment.

Agreed....would have been nice to see an early season race in Italy. The only early season races for the Europeans require going half way across the world.... NZ, AUS and South Africa....nothing on the continent! IM Italy could have been late April/Early May, but it probably has most to do with the community and when they can host.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Rome? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are overestimating the demand for a spring IM in Europe Dev. April sea temps in Civitavecchia is 59, 65 in may (avg). Theres a reason European triathletes go across the world for races in this time slot, the weather is just much better. Also bear in mind there are no tune up /prep local races for Europeans to do before IMs at this time of the year.
Quote Reply

Prev Next