Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Muskoka 134.4 (170km/106 mile bike)
Quote | Reply
Don't know if anyone else has seen this but the bike course is going to be 170km not 180km. It's a tough course I rode the full two loops twice as training for Chattanooga, but i do Ironman to challenge my self and I signed up knowing how tough this course will be. Just wondering why you shorten a course 10km and call it and Ironman. I was fine with Chattanooga being long but shortening a course makes no sense at all it's an endurance challenge.

Here's the link to the new distance
http://www.ironman.com/~/media/6c39382a648a474b9dfe1c5fa931534c/muskoka%20bike2015%20tbt%201.pdf
Last edited by: Ironfox: Nov 13, 14 13:51
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Muskoka 134.4 (170km/106 mile bike) [Ironfox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn..... cuz everyone will have trained up to do 180k..... I totally see your point. Bastards!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because finding a triathlon bike course that is exactly 112 miles is not the easiest thing to do. If it is a two loop course with no out and back sections to make the distance, kudos to the race director for not adding a 3 mile out and back just to make the distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if this was supposed to be pink or not.....

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Muskoka 134.4 (170km/106 mile bike) [BBB1975] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The whole thing about Ironman is swim 2.4 mi bike 112 and run 26.2. You take 10km off and you loose all integrity. They have numerous roads for out and backs. I am just wondering if the extremely low number of people entering the race so far had anything to do with it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
..... It's entirely possible (and your shrink can verify this) that you may be doing Ironmans for the totally wrong reasons....

Then again, you often hear folks who have competed in Roth talking about how utterly unsatisfying the experience was because of the wonky measurement...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given that course, it will still be harder than an IMFL or IMAZ at least in terms of time FWIM.

I trend to agree that they should have added some distance unless, it's not like there's construction or some reason to prevent that. They should add an out & back if possible. Maybe it's just not practical as it forces them to cross a major highway. I can;t imagine there's no side roads that are at least 1 mile long to add 4 miles total.. to get a little closer.

Besides, I think little out and back loops make for better competition as you can see where your competiton is.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironfox wrote:
The whole thing about Ironman is swim 2.4 mi bike 112 and run 26.2. You take 10km off and you loose all integrity. They have numerous roads for out and backs. I am just wondering if the extremely low number of people entering the race so far had anything to do with it?

What are the "low" numbers? Seems like a great course - no free rides:-)

I've never visited the area, but by reputation sounds like a challenging course and for sure a fair race.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Muskoka 134.4 (170km/106 mile bike) [srussell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just over 1000 people as of last month. It's a beautiful course and they have been working on the pavement all last summer. It's a tough, beautiful, fun course can't wait to race it. The area is really nice, the volunteers and people are awesome. It will be a great race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironfox wrote:
Just over 1000 people as of last month. It's a beautiful course and they have been working on the pavement all last summer. It's a tough, beautiful, fun course can't wait to race it. The area is really nice, the volunteers and people are awesome. It will be a great race.

.......albeit a race that lacks all integrity (if I'm quoting you correctly).... Have "fun"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I WAS contemplating signing up. But an IRONMAN is 140.6 miles. If I want to do an odd distance, I wont bother spending 7 c notes on a race. I will do a gran fondo instead. I also would never do a marathon that is 24 miles, no matter how hilly.

Bad bad development. Ironman has really jumped the shark if this is true. And if the excuse is the course is hard...pathetic.

Worst part....the medals will still say 3.8k/180k/42/2k (metric).
Last edited by: sinkinswimmer: Nov 13, 14 14:42
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Muskoka 134.4 (170km/106 mile bike) [TheRealSpanky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not just the race that's lost integrity it's the whole brand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you did Chattanooga with its downhill swim but you're not happy about a short bike course?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Muskoka 134.4 (170km/106 mile bike) [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the same thing. No one complains about races with people hitting 40 minutes at iron distance or several age groupers hitting 16 minutes for olympic distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is kinda funny. i have always wanted to go to Penticton. still do. when Challenge got the race i wondered if they'd stop bowing to the 112 nonsense and get rid of the out and back. nah. everyone seems hung up on the distance.

makes me like races like Savageman even more. and makes me really wish the Seneca Epic would come into being.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Muskoka 134.4 (170km/106 mile bike) [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
I was thinking the same thing. No one complains about races with people hitting 40 minutes at iron distance or several age groupers hitting 16 minutes for olympic distance.

As I understand it, WTC protects its trademark for Ironman. As I further understand it, Ironman is a 2.4 mile swim, a 112 mile bike and a 26.2 mile run. Yup. Just checked my finisher medals. Says so right on them.

So, since this is NOT a 2.4 mile swim, a 112 mile bike and a 26.2 mile run, why is it an Ironman? Where do we stop? 2 mile swim, 100 mile bike and 20 mile run? Sure. Why not. It will make it easier for the masses and grow the sport! Hooray.

Bullshit. Overstated? Perhaps. But tell me how. Would ANY of you run a marathon if you knew it was 24.6 miles. Why on earth do you think there is not a single 40k race out there. It is the distance that matters. And dont give me any crap about how a hard course is "equivalent" to a longer course. If that is the case, we need to add 10% to all the distances at Florida. Wait...no one wants to do that? No kidding.

This just sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Muskoka 134.4 (170km/106 mile bike) [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loved the bike and the run. I have never discussed my swim split with anyone. Anyone who has done more then just Chattanooga and discusses their swim split needs to get in touch with reality. I would have enjoyed that race if we swam up current. I enjoy the challenge the Ironman brings. It's not all about P.R's every time you race. Some people enjoy the challenge. The race that got me into the sport was wanting to do Ironman St. George unfortunately it was cancelled before I got the chance to race it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Urh this is terrible! I signed up for an ironman race expecting a certain distance. If tis is true i may switch to a different event instead. Not cool.

Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Given that course, it will still be harder than an IMFL or IMAZ at least in terms of time FWIM.

I trend to agree that they should have added some distance unless, it's not like there's construction or some reason to prevent that. They should add an out & back if possible. Maybe it's just not practical as it forces them to cross a major highway. I can;t imagine there's no side roads that are at least 1 mile long to add 4 miles total.. to get a little closer.

Besides, I think little out and back loops make for better competition as you can see where your competiton is.

when they first announced the bike course, it did have an out and back. can't remember where it was but i think it went down fox point road

i seem to be missing something on the map as the 70.3 is actually a 94 km bike yet two loops equals 170 km?

perhaps Rich from Tri-Muskoka can jump in and explain the differences and changes
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Muskoka 134.4 (170km/106 mile bike) [ptakeda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The tri-muskoka site still shows the 180km bike.

http://trimuskoka.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/muskoka-bike-2015-page-001-1.jpg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that this was discussed previously. Rich from TriMuskoka talks through the 180km bike course at post 179 on the following thread: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Muskoka 134.4 (170km/106 mile bike) [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:

And God forbid that the swim should end up being against the current, with the fastest 1500 m swimmer coming out at 30:00. We simply could not have that, with the swim split approaching the fastest 10K run split. Now that would be just awful.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive done the 70.3 twice. Im not complaining of the 170km. This is gonna be an easier Ironman! I dont think so
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you say "lose all integrity"? I've done the 70.3 twice, so I don't think you'll feel a lack of "integrity" when, and if, you finish the full event.

Races were once what you see is what you get and you might not get that or you might get more. Be careful what you wish for.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man I hope this is true because it changes everything. Just think of all bumper stickers that will be rendered completely useless. It totally invalidates the tattoo. They'll have to modify the swag back. They'll need a new finisher's hat template. Instead of 'You are an Ironman', someone will have to shout out "You are Musky".

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next