Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Michigan?
Quote | Reply

In Traverse City. Swim in Grand Traverse Bay. Bike out the Leelanau Peninsula. Awesome hotels, good restaurants. Directed/promoted by Steve Brown of Iceman Cometh fame.

Why hasn't this happened?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Michigan? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michigan Titanium was cancelled mid race this year due to crazy t-storms. Clearly Michigan cannot handle an Ironman if it can't even handle its own weather!

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would love this!

@CycleHeavy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've suggested this before--several times, here on ST, that T.C. would be a nice venue to hold an Ironman. The air travel would not be that great, as the closest big city with reasonable flights would be Detroit or Flint. But the city could support such a race overall & there area many, many triathletes in Michigan that would fill the entry spots. Clean water, beautiful scenery & the hills there a challenging--it would be a hillier course than most think. The unfortunate perception by of Michigan is that it is an industrial, flat wasteland that has been left for dead. Quite the opposite, get north or Saginaw/Midland and the top 2/3 of the state are heavily wooded, rolling miles of beauty. There just isn't a lot of people up there & is often overlooked--which is the way they want it. Undiscovered. Ironman would certainly open a lot of eyes to the area for future vacation spots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would be one of the best locations in the US for a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a 70.3 up there right now (this was the first year the Traverse City Triathlon expanded to include a half). I'm very intrigued by it ... I heard good things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mentioned this in several other ST threads over the years. Northern Michigan in July/August would be an awesome venue

TC as you noted for a full ironman.

or a spin off of alcatraz... escape from Mackinaw Island. That'd be cool.

A lot of good roads, hotels, activities for families, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
COROS Sports Science

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Michigan? [ddalzell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ddalzell wrote:

I like that idea! We were up there this summer and I kept thinking that a sprint triathlon on the island could be cool, but I like your idea better.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Michigan? [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been saying the same thing for years. It would be the eastern half of the US's version of IM Coeur D' Alene. The area is beautiful, plenty of lodging, restraunts, nightlife, and an airport right in Traverse City or Grand Rapids or Detroit wouldn't be the end of the world to drive up there. Lets get the momentum going for this one!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. I've done quite a bit of riding and running up there. Double out and back in the peninsula and the Bayshore marathon course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, that would be fantastic. Timing would be interesting, though. Anything much later than mid-August, and you are probably just cannibalizing from IM Wisconsin. Too early and the water will be freezing. Could be a good mid-summer race, that far north. The mid-west's Lake Placid?

Spot

Quote | Reply
cannabaliing Muskoka, as well in IMWI.... As I pointed out to TD in the other thread. I don't see it happening. Although the mackinaw island swim sounds interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Michigan? [whiteandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed...an "Escape from Makinac Island" would be exceptionally cool.

Spot

Quote | Reply
I'm not sure the city would tolerate a mid-summer race. Seems to me like the only option would be after Labor day and before the cold weather moves in. Anything before Memorial Day and you would be dealing with likely cold water and weather.. HITs tried to put a race in October which seems like it would be ripe for cancellation but it never got off the ground.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Michigan? [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got curious as to how far the swim would be from the island to St. Ignace. It looks like it's about 3.5 miles:

http://www.mightymacswim.com/#!map-routes/c1wz9

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You got me intrigued. What is the best time of year to plan a cycling trip in that area?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I did the Labor Day Mackinac Bridge walk a few years ago there WERE people swimming the Straits at the same time. I have no idea if that's still a thing.

Yes, Michigan Titanium offers a full distance option. I thought 3 Discipilines did one somewhere up north but perhaps I'm thinking of a 70.3. Wisconsin, Muskoka, Cedar Point, etc. are all within easy drives of most of Michigan.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Michigan? [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I go up to a place near Glen Arbor for a week every summer. The peninsula is exceptional for cycling all summer long. There's not big long climbs like you'll find out west like in Colorado, Utah, Northern Az, etc., but lots of great punchy climbs such as Inspiration Point. They are currently putting a trail system that's going to go through the entire peninsula I heard. Traverse City is about 20-25min away and has everything you need from Walmart, Best Buy, outdoors, to specialty running and cycling shops to fine dining. For your basic cycling needs, there's place in Glen Arbor so you don't have to run all the way to TC.

For openwater swimming, there are many great inland lake to swim in. Lake Michigan that far up is usually pretty cold, but could be done if you have the heart for it.

Any questions about the area, let me know!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom Demerly wrote:

In Traverse City. Swim in Grand Traverse Bay. Bike out the Leelanau Peninsula. Awesome hotels, good restaurants. Directed/promoted by Steve Brown of Iceman Cometh fame.

I went to school in West Michigan. Awesome hotels? No. Good Restaurants. No. Where would you fly into? Detroit, Kalamazoo? Fly in and then drive 3 hours? No thanks.

The scenery would be nice, though : )
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Michigan? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Tom Demerly wrote:

I went to school in West Michigan. Awesome hotels? No. Good Restaurants. No. Where would you fly into? Detroit, Kalamazoo? Fly in and then drive 3 hours? No thanks.

The airport in TC is about the size of the Kona airport and United, Delta etc fly there. I don't know what your definition of awesome hotel room is, but the Grand Traverse Resort is pretty nice. Way better restaurant choices than IMFLA. You seem to be hunting for negatives.

I would say it is roughly equivalent to IMLP with easier access.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Michigan? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going to school in West Michigan can mean a lot of different things. Where'd you go? WMU, Ferris? That's not even close to the same as getting up to the TC Bay/Peninsula. Also, a student's version of good hotels/dining, etc it very different than that of the average triathlete. Grand Rapids is a nice regional airport, but yes it'll include a change over and drive so logistics would be tough.

Hotels and food, and booze are fantastic in the TC area. 7 Monks, Jolly Pumpkin, Right Brain, North Peak, etc, etc....

ajthomas wrote:
Tom Demerly wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Michigan? [Furious D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously though...not sure how long ago college was for him, but Grand Rapids has good restaurants now days as well. Maybe not Michelin quality, but still... The TC area seems as good as anywhere for an IM.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Michigan? [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
I go up to a place near Glen Arbor for a week every summer. The peninsula is exceptional for cycling all summer long. There's not big long climbs like you'll find out west like in Colorado, Utah, Northern Az, etc., but lots of great punchy climbs such as Inspiration Point. They are currently putting a trail system that's going to go through the entire peninsula I heard. Traverse City is about 20-25min away and has everything you need from Walmart, Best Buy, outdoors, to specialty running and cycling shops to fine dining. For your basic cycling needs, there's place in Glen Arbor so you don't have to run all the way to TC.

For openwater swimming, there are many great inland lake to swim in. Lake Michigan that far up is usually pretty cold, but could be done if you have the heart for it.

Any questions about the area, let me know!

This sounds like my story. I bought a place in Glen Arbor seven years ago and consider it to be training heaven. Smooth roads with low traffic and many of them with wide shoulders and lots of elevation change. Plenty of running trails-can go for miles and barely set a foot on pavement. I personally love swimming in Lake MI as long as I am wearing a wetsuit (although it got so warm this summer that I swam some without one).

An IM in Traverse City would be amazing for all of the reasons stated in the posts above.

The other thing that would be cool is a coached training camp on the Leelenau Peninsula, maybe based out of the Homestead resort. I would be happy to help plan out riding and running routes if there is a coach out there that wants to do this.....

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
ddalzell wrote:

I like that idea! We were up there this summer and I kept thinking that a sprint triathlon on the island could be cool, but I like your idea better.

+1, where is the sign me up button?

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Michigan? [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would love to get a group up there. I go up there with a group now but it's of a social thing although we get decent training. Been trying to find a job in that area forever so getting a place there is a dream of mine.
Quote Reply

Prev Next