Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Louisville Parking Race Morning PIA?
Quote | Reply
Right now I have a confirmed reservation at Courtyard Marriott downtown, but it's $650. I'm thinking about saving some money and moving my stay further away. Is driving in race morning and finding a place to park a PIA?

I booked it downtown so family had a place to go during my race since it's a long day. Are there things to do to help pass the time for my family if the room is further away?

Quote | Reply
Done IMLOU 3x
Volunteered 2x

Never once have I stayed downtown

I always stay here:

http://www.marriott.com/...inn-louisville-east/
*2 bedrooms
*2 bathrooms
*Kitchen
*Free Breakfast (that's amazing)
*Great area
*I don't know how much cheaper it would be for you, but more than one family can stay in these rooms if you desire

Getting into town on race day? Easy as pie. Have a family member drive you in if you can, they can drop you off right @ T1. We have always been able to park there as well, within a few hundred yards.

Have the family DRIVE, not take those stupid shuttle buses to LaGrange, great town, have some activities, some great shops. 40 minute drive each way & they get to see you twice on the bike
Downtown Louisville is rocking. Plenty to see/do.

Have a great time, Louisville is a hidden gem on the IRONMAN Race Circuit, and I think that now that's in October, it will become one of the best.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville Parking Race Morning PIA? [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
Done IMLOU 3x
Volunteered 2x

I always stay here:

*2 bedrooms
*2 bathrooms
*Kitchen
*Great area
*I don't know how much cheaper it would be for you, but more than one family can stay in these rooms if you desire

Getting into town on race day? Easy as pie. Have a family member drive you in if you can, they can drop you off right @ T1. We have always been able to park there as well, within a few hundred yards.

Have the family DRIVE, not take those stupid shuttle buses to LaGrange, great town, have some activities, some great shops. 40 minute drive each way & they get to see you twice on the bike

Have a great time, Louisville is a hidden gem on the IRONMAN Race Circuit, and I think that now that's in October, it will become one of the best.

all of this. I stayed across the river in Indiana , like literally across from transition and had zero problem finding parking the day of the race. in fact it was freakishly easy. I parked in some parking garage.

I stayed at a fairfield in I think in Jefferson ? Indiana

Kirk Noyes

Downtubes are for Dinosaurs

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:

Done IMLOU 3x
Volunteered 2x

I always stay here:

*2 bedrooms
*2 bathrooms
*Kitchen
*Great area

Why time did you two roll into town?

Quote | Reply
Also consider that last year there were 2,000 starters. This year was a sale out at 3,200.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville Parking Race Morning PIA? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5ish each time.

Each time I was there it was sold out, hasn't made a difference at all.

Louisville is VERY easy to navigate.

Staying away from the hustle and bustle downtown was the best decision I made.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
5ish each time.

Each time I was there it was sold out, hasn't made a difference at all.

Louisville is VERY easy to navigate.

Staying away from the hustle and bustle downtown was the best decision I made.

I drove through to Nashville last month and Dowtown LOU has a new suspension type bridge going it. The highway was nuked. New bridge looks really cool but wow is it torn up.

Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:

Done IMLOU 3x
Volunteered 2x

I always stay here:

*2 bedrooms
*2 bathrooms
*Kitchen
*Great area

I tried AirBNB and got a house for $88 a night. $188 for the whole trip. Significantly cheaper than the $650 (whole trip) at Marriott. The house is next to Church Hill Downs. My family will be able to walk over to Central Avenue and watch me pass on the run a couple of times. Never done AIRBNB but the place had great reviews. House is a bit dated (1970's) but very clean.

Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
TylerJ wrote:

Done IMLOU 3x
Volunteered 2x

I always stay here:

*2 bedrooms
*2 bathrooms
*Kitchen
*Great area

I tried AirBNB and got a house for $88 a night. $188 for the whole trip. Significantly cheaper than the $650 (whole trip) at Marriott. The house is next to Church Hill Downs. My family will be able to walk over to Central Avenue and watch me pass on the run a couple of times. Never done AIRBNB but the place had great reviews. House is a bit dated (1970's) but very clean.

I have done IMLOU 2x and AirBNB 3x. I'm from Southern Indiana and stayed with family the first time and across the river the second. Plenty of parking and really no issues getting in and out. You can get into Louisville on the 2nd Street bridge so you don't have to deal with the Kennedy. But, since you're staying over around Churchill Downs that won't be a problem.

In regards to AirBNB, if there are any issues they have responded very quickly and situation was resolved to my advantage. We are planning a European trip next summer and will be using AirBNB for that as well.

Good luck in Louisville and enjoy the city. If it wasn't in Kentucky it would be a great city but since it is then it's only good.

ETA: Make sure you're taking some type of probiotic, the river is not the cleanest.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Last edited by: TheRef65: Aug 22, 15 15:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
TylerJ wrote:

Done IMLOU 3x
Volunteered 2x

I always stay here:

*2 bedrooms
*2 bathrooms
*Kitchen
*Great area

Churchill Downs IS NOT the best neighborhood in town, be careful :)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville Parking Race Morning PIA? [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loutriguy wrote:
Economist wrote:
TylerJ wrote:

Done IMLOU 3x
Volunteered 2x

I always stay here:

*2 bedrooms
*2 bathrooms
*Kitchen
*Great area

Churchill Downs IS NOT the best neighborhood in town, be careful :)

Some people in the reviews said that but also said they felt safe and didn't have an issue.

Quote | Reply
In addition, parking is easy, too. I've done Lou five times, and have always used the parking garage next to the Galt Hotel. (I think it's the Riverside). From the time I enter the garage to parking the car is ~ 30 seconds, and it's about $20 to park it there all day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We did an AirBnB also. We're staying near the University of Louisville Hospital.

It's a little farther away than the Hyatt, but it didn't seem too bad.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
Done IMLOU 3x
Volunteered 2x

I always stay here:

*2 bedrooms
*2 bathrooms
*Kitchen
*Great area

This other than x2, I was in the Ramada Louisville North, and I had no family. There is a baseball stadium right near the race site, so plenty of parking. There is also a very cool skateboard park nearby, with plenty of on street parking all around.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville Parking Race Morning PIA? [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GT wrote:
TylerJ wrote:

Done IMLOU 3x
Volunteered 2x

I always stay here:

*2 bedrooms
*2 bathrooms
*Kitchen
*Great area

This other than x2, I was in the Ramada Louisville North, and I had no family. There is a baseball stadium right near the race site, so plenty of parking. There is also a very cool skateboard park nearby, with plenty of on street parking all around.

I ended up dumping my AirBnB and picking Quality Suites near E.Hill and 65. It's 2.5 miles away and $88 a night. Good reviews although all I really need is a bed and a shower. My family will drive me in race morning yet still close enough for them to wander back to hotel while I'm on the bike. I did rent an athlete tracker so they can see where I'm at real time. I figured this would help them plan their day and still be able to see me in transition. The hotel is also .5 miles from the run course so they can wander over to that and watch me on the run for a bit.

I haven't cancelled my Marriott downtown yet. It's $685 for Friday to Monday vs. Suites at $385. Given the sell of hotels, should I see if somebody on ST wants to take over the reservation or just cancel it?

Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
Done IMLOU 3x
Volunteered 2x

I always stay here:

*2 bedrooms
*2 bathrooms
*Kitchen
*Great area

reviving this from last month with a couple more questions for you/ those in the know:

I may be going down to spectate/Sherpa Friday-Mon.

I just booked a room at the Sheraton Riverside in Jeffersonville IN. Do you know if I am close to race site. ie. driving in and parking will be fairly easy.

Also, how easy is it to get around the run course by bike if I choose to without being right on the course. Can one work their way to multiple spots without causing race day disruptions.

thanks for you help
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville Parking Race Morning PIA? [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right across the river from T1.

Downtown Louisville is easy to get around, park, whatever.

You'll be just fine.

As far as the bike/run course question? I think you would better off just to leave it alone. Seems like it could get to be a cluster fuck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:

You'll be just fine.

As far as the bike/run course question? I think you would better off just to leave it alone. Seems like it could get to be a cluster fuck.

thanks will do.

May bring my 11yo to spectate. We will drive out to lagrange and stay downtown for the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
Also, how easy is it to get around the run course by bike if I choose to without being right on the course. Can one work their way to multiple spots without causing race day disruptions.

If you look at the run course map, you can see most of it runs along 3rd street. I would think you could take a parallel street and pop over to 3rd fairly easily.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville Parking Race Morning PIA? [lisac957] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lisac957 wrote:
ironmayb wrote:

If you look at the run course map, you can see most of it runs along 3rd street. I would think you could take a parallel street and pop over to 3rd fairly easily.

thanks. If I go it will be to follow someone who hopes to do well relative to the field. The type(s) that are turning themselves inside out on second loop. Just thinking about whether there is a "lonely" stretch without much fan base and thinking of parking myself there for support. Then be able to make it back to finish in time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a room that I can't use and have not cancelled yet. I paid $147
Econo Lodge Downtown
401 South 2nd St., Louisville, KY, 40202, US
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville Parking Race Morning PIA? [lisac957] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lisac957 wrote:
ironmayb wrote:

If you have a bike its a piece of cake to follow someone on the road course. Like was mentioned there are parallel streets and plenty of cross streets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
Done IMLOU 3x
Volunteered 2x

I always stay here:

*2 bedrooms
*2 bathrooms
*Kitchen
*Great area

reviving this from last month with a couple more questions for you/ those in the know:

I may be going down to spectate/Sherpa Friday-Mon.

I just booked a room at the Sheraton Riverside in Jeffersonville IN. Do you know if I am close to race site. ie. driving in and parking will be fairly easy.

thanks for you help

That is the hotel I stayed in during IMLOU 2014. When going in and out of Louisville use the 2nd Street bridge if possible. There is major construction around the Kennedy.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville Parking Race Morning PIA? [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:

You'll be just fine.

one last question. If I want to communicate with the athlete I am following on the bike course is La Grange the best place to do it.
At IMWI where I am very familiar there are a number of climbs that are the best place to get/give information (ie. when you can see someone for 10-20 seconds vs. trying to yell something to someone going 20+mph). Is there a "best place" on the loop for this?

thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next