Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes
Quote | Reply
Bike course just got easier.

\\

A LETTER FROM IRONMAN LAKE TAHOE:
As the Operations Manager for IRONMAN Lake Tahoe, I wanted to reach out to you and let you know that you've spoken and we've been listening to you on ways to improve IRONMAN Lake Tahoe. Last year's event was spectacular, but we heard your suggestions and concerns and we are working to make this year's race that much better.

First and foremost, we will have larger changing tents and more heaters and heat lamps in T1 based on race day temperature. Additionally, we're improving traffic management for athletes accessing King's Beach on race morning.

We are also revising the bike course so athletes can access and train on the entire course leading up to the event. Even though this will not dramatically change the elevation profile of the course, the adjustment better prepares athletes for the challenging nature of the bike course. The exact route will be announced in the coming months.
Finally, the run course will have increased lighting. We will add light structures and have glowsticks for runners as well.

Be sure to check your email and IRONMAN's social channels for additional info. To register for the 2014 IRONMAN Lake Tahoe, click here.

Thank you for racing with us at the 2013 IRONMAN Lake Tahoe and we look forward to seeing you at this year's event.

- Keats McGonigal
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [Bryan0721] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw this too and I'm glad they are addressing the T1 shit show. However the bike course change bugs me, it was an awesome course and not riding that section didn't change anything for me. Either you climb like hell in training or you're screwed. I didn't see not being able to train on that section of the course an issue, plus looking at those Million dollar "cabins" was a nice distraction. The lights on the run might be welcomed, for me I like the dark so people couldn't see me in pain as much. But either way I'm glad the are taking the comments seriously!

----------------------------------------------
David
2007 Trek Madone 5.2 Discovery Channel
2011 Trek Speed Concept 9.5
Last edited by: SCdave: Feb 19, 14 11:28
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [SCdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 I thought the bike course was fantastic even though I was on it a very long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure it will be easier, he said the elevation profile will be similar. My guess is they'll go through the North Star main entrance and take Big Springs to Highland as an out an back. It's just as challenging.

The other changes seem appropriate.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [Hussman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
During summer training, we went up and down Highlands view as an out and back, that way we could practice the only somewhat technical descent. During the race, it was nice that the whole road was closed, cause I had to get pretty close to the center line passing people during that descent a few times.

I'll be interested to see the updated course, but something about out and backs are a little demoralizing to me, you ride and ride and you just end up back where you started. I guess you could say the same for "loops" but at least you are always going forward and not making a u-turn. The carnelian woods out and back was especially annoying (and bumpy).
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [kamakazitp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see your point, and if that is what they do, it may be a 'careful what you wish for' scenario. If you have riders descending Highland while others are coming up it could become a collision concern.

Maybe the the ideal solution would be to keep the route as is, but suggest riding to the Ritz during training. I didn't like the staircase rollers up to the Ritz on the race day route, I had taken Highland during my training rides, but I felt like I had enough training to get the feel of the course.

But then again, they may have a whole different idea on the course. We'll see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they keep it in the same area, the only option I see is going up Northstar drive, to big springs, which becomes highlands view, then the same descent. There is only a tiny little section of road that is not normally accessible, but maybe they already have plans to open it up permanently. They could do out and back on the same road (highlands) but I wouldn't be 100% comfortable having people go up and down the same steep twisty road.

If they just go off course from the normal "loop", they could do it in a number of places.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly, careful what you wish for. I think going through Martis Valley then the back way to the Ritz via Big Springs then down Highlands is harder than through Martis Camp... I've ridden both ways a bunch and will take Martis Camp over the alternate any day.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [renolaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the section in the valley by the airport, a nice fast slightly downhill section, nice view. The long shallow climb back up to northstar drive was annoying though. I'd rather have the staircase rollers where when you are climbing, you are actually climbing. The never-ending 3% grades wear on you. You're not really cruising, but you aren't really making that much vertical progress either.

I did that route enough in training though that at least it wouldn't offer me any surprises on race day. I'll admit that the first time through Martis, I was looking forward to seeing the Ritz and getting back to familiar pavement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glowsticks, seriously?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [thebigb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thebigb wrote:
Glowsticks, seriously?

They run with glowsticks in Kona..................in fact they do it in Louisville too. Cant speak for others since I cant recall what they did in Canada and havent seen any other full IM races.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [kamakazitp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the elevation is remaining the same and removing Martis camp it will likely be:

- PASS Schaeffer and descend, staying on 267 to a right turn on NorthStar Dr (after Schaeffer 267 descends all the way into the valley floor before climbing gradually climb out and up to Northstar Dr ... it's a grind)
- Bear right and stay on North Star Dr after traffic circle (there is a tough little kicker UP TO the traffic circle)
- Right hand turn at / past the fire house on Big Springs (climb initially then it flattens for a short section before it starts climbing again)
- Big Springs becomes Highlands Ranch
- Highlands Ranch all the way to NORTH exit of Northstar (back to 267)
++ No out and backs on this route
+++ Completely ride-able BUT there is a gate you have to walk around. This is the route we did when I had athletes up there training. It came out to a very similar elevation gain to race day.

IF, that is the change in the course it's still just as difficult and scenic w/o any out backs etc. ... I'm glad they didn't change the challenge of it! (assuming that is the change)

(all that said I'd think they would logistically want to get rid of the section above Truckee w/ bike path, parking lot etc.)

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Last edited by: Dave Latourette: Feb 19, 14 14:49
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [Shane_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shane_W wrote:
thebigb wrote:
Glowsticks, seriously?

They run with glowsticks in Kona..................in fact they do it in Louisville too. Cant speak for others since I cant recall what they did in Canada and havent seen any other full IM races.

Just seems like a horrible solution to improper lighting. And a touch neon glow run-ish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thebigb wrote:
Shane_W wrote:
thebigb wrote:
Glowsticks, seriously?

Just seems like a horrible solution to improper lighting. And a touch neon glow run-ish.

----

They aren't a substitute for lighting they are a safety measure so people can see you in the dark...

---
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [SCdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SCdave wrote:
I saw this too and I'm glad they are addressing the T1 shit show. However the bike course change bugs me, it was an awesome course and not riding that section didn't change anything for me. Either you climb like hell in training or you're screwed. I didn't see not being able to train on that section of the course an issue, plus looking at those Million dollar "cabins" was a nice distraction. The lights on the run might be welcomed, for me I like the dark so people couldn't see me in pain as much. But either way I'm glad the are taking the comments seriously!

...this

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done Ironmans at 4 different venues. They all had glowsticks. Seems like they are more the standard than the exception.

thebigb wrote:
Glowsticks, seriously?

Quote | Reply
Can they do something about the altitude this year also?

I trained on the bike course the week before last yr thru North Star, if they drop Martis Camp i don't see it being any easier either. All in all i thought the Martis Camp section was one of the best, nice wide roads, pretty views, nice climbs with breaks in between that got you warmed up for the North Star grind.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-------------
Me too

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:
I've done Ironmans at 4 different venues. They all had glowsticks. Seems like they are more the standard than the exception.

thebigb wrote:
Glowsticks, seriously?

Oh yeah well I've done....none :) Now that it's been explained I suppose it makes sense from a safety/visibility standpoint. I'm still waiting for cool beans to end up in special needs bags, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [Shane_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM Canada in 2011 and 2012 did indeed have glowsticks. For those of us who endured the course in the dark, the race officials gave glowsticks to everyone who didn't have lights. The course wasn't unsafe (in my view) and the darkness made for a pretty night sky. Still, I think I would have preferred to finish in the daylight.

I also did IMLT - once again finishing in the dark. There was only one spot where I almost tripped but it probably wasn't because of the darkness.

Jed

"If you want to ride by the Force, you had better make sure that you are a real Jedi." - FastYellow (6/13/2011)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [Nick Mallett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I did a 100k run through the night as part of a triathlon once and the run course was on a path lit by little tea lights sitting in plastic cups...It was surreal and totally awesome especially when the early morning mist rolled in..

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thebigb wrote:
zoom wrote:

thebigb wrote:
Glowsticks, seriously?

Oh yeah well I've done....none :) Now that it's been explained I suppose it makes sense from a safety/visibility standpoint. I'm still waiting for cool beans to end up in special needs bags, though.

Finish before dark and it is a non issue. :-)

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anybody heard anything more on the bike course changes? And any idea where they are on registration?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, and turn up the thermostat on the lake, will ya? My feet are still cold and my ears are red. Say, 70 degrees or so, yeah, that's the ticket....
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, and turn up the thermostat on the lake, will ya? My feet are still cold and my ears are red. Say, 70 degrees or so, yeah, that's the ticket....
-----------
Funny but truth be told the swim was the warmest I was all day. For wetsuit swims I prefer water temps in the mid 60's.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Apr 17, 14 6:08
Quote Reply

Prev Next