Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Kona Bike Tips
Quote | Reply
I won a Kona Lottery spot through the foundation, back in April

Preparing for my final 10 weeks of my build up, looking to dial in equipment choices

I'm 5'5 140 lbs, and I currently ride a Felt IA1 with Rotor 50/34 oval rings

Any recommendation on a rear cassette? was thinking of bringing an 11-28 for the long climb and possibly headwinds

Since I'm on the smaller side, should I ride 808's? or go with a 404/808 combo (or probably end up with the 2016 FLO 60/90 aluminum )

I currently wear a giro selector, and ive been OK with it at IMFL and IMLP last weekend as far as heat goes, but wouldn't mind giving up a little time to get cooler, has anybody ridden with a GIro SYnthe there before?

Im hoping to go a little easy and hope for ~ 5:30-6:00 on the bike to be able to ensure I can run ~ 4 hours in hopes of going 12-13 overall
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Kona Bike Tips [Viper966] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can go easy for a 5:30-6:00 at Kona you will be fine with a 34/28. With the 34 you could probably get by with a 25 on the back. It was windy in 2014 and it's not really that bad a climb to Hawi. The worst climb is the short steep one out of the harbor coming back but it's probably only a 1/2 mile.

Go with the 404 up front.

I did an aero road helmet - LG Course. I don't like having a helmet over my ears.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went on lottery as well and wanted to take it easy. I used a 50/34 and 11-28 and felt it fine. Would use that combo again if given the chance. For wheels I used my 303's and was very happy with them. I was 154 at 5'9 on race day.

Enjoy the day (and the week)!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Viper966 wrote:

Preparing for my final 10 weeks of my build up, looking to dial in equipment choices

Any recommendation on a rear cassette? was thinking of bringing an 11-28 for the long climb and possibly headwinds

Since I'm on the smaller side, should I ride 808's? or go with a 404/808 combo (or probably end up with the 2016 FLO 60/90 aluminum )

I currently wear a giro selector, and ive been OK with it at IMFL and IMLP last weekend as far as heat goes, but wouldn't mind giving up a little time to get cooler, has anybody ridden with a GIro SYnthe there before?

Im hoping to go a little easy and hope for ~ 5:30-6:00 on the bike to be able to ensure I can run ~ 4 hours in hopes of going 12-13 overall

I rode my Giro Advantage 2 as always. I don;t thin the helmet makes any difference. Its' just mental. I believe there was testing that showed no change in core temp. It's not a limiter if it has adequate ventilation. IT also block more sun due to it's size, which might be better than more airflow really.

My tips:

1) Get a sleeved trisuit. Not having direct sun exposure really helps.
2) With 11 speed or even 10 speed, I think 11-28 works great for almost everything. With headwinds, some climbs will be slow for smaller, less powerful athletes, especially late in the afternoon for women riding slower than 5:30. I'v never heard anyone complain that they had too much gearing. Meaning the slightly wider spaces were a major problem.
3) Wheel choice is personal preference in your comfort factor in gusty winds at speeds over 30mph. 404/808 might be a safer bet and really won't make a lot of difference in speed. But honestly, the descents are that steep out on the queen K. I think I only hit 38mph. The downhills in town were faster, and each had a turn at the bottom and more traffic, but not much wind.

Enjoy it. Great experience! erlly cool finally seeing all thsoe locations yoe see on TV and getting a sense of the weather.

It's hot! Really hot! Plan to dump a lot of water on yourself. Fishing over 11 hours might be good as 1/2 your run will be past the peak heat of the day and peak sun and when partial cloud cover usually emerges.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Viper966 wrote:

I am not a big fan of riding deeps wheels in Kona. You can get lucky and have a decent day, but if it is windy, they are quite a bit of work.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Viper966 wrote:

I say based on this, I would work on your swim. Something isn't adding up or your swim is 2+ hours.
Last edited by: summitt: Jul 28, 16 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Kona Bike Tips [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim will likely be ~ 1:10- 1:20

With transitions, and variability of the marathon/bike times and trying to "enjoy the experience" and not get caught up in crushing myself for a time goal or risking my ability to finish

I have a goal time of 12-13 hours to allow myself not to get frustrated by how the day unfolds (heat, wind etc)

if i go under 12 hours , ill feel awesome..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Viper966 wrote:

I'm the same weight as you and rode a FLO 60/90 Alum setup last year. I didn't think the cross winds were an issue at all. The wind in your face climbing to Hawi kinda sucks, but I was fine with my gearing (53/39 and 11-25).

I would err on the side of being cooler with your helmet selection. Kona is the only time I've ever gotten hot on the bike. Around mile 90 the lava fields don't seem so scenic.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats on getting a slot

I ride a 54 Oval ring with 11-23 cassette
Go with 808/404. I've used 808/808 before but the speed gain is not worth the potential battle if the wind picks up
Giro Selector is fine, even in 2015 it was much hotter than usual and a non-vented helmet was not an issue

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Viper966 wrote:
Iwith Rotor 50/34 oval rings

I think 34/28 is silly if you can ride 5:30 to 6. As someone living in the mountains I am tempted to say Kona is flat. ;-) But even if you count the climb to Hawi as a hill, there is no way you need that gear. 39-25 should be easy enough.

50-11 and you will not be pushing much from Hawi to Kawaihae.

Don´t use too deep wheels (as everybody stated before).

Yes, it can get hot out there. If you use an aero helmet make sure it has some holes to get water through to your head.
Quote Reply