Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Insurance
Quote | Reply
What is everyone's opinion of Ironman's insurance plan? Worth it? Can you actually use it, or are they really picky and have extra exceptions?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Insurance [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The premium will be much more than what they expect to pay off, so unless the $600 or so registration fee is a large amount of money for you, I'd say forget it.

Stonebridge International in Europe (registered in the UK) has written insurance contracts worth £34.1m and paid £7.7m in claims (incl. reinsured risk) in 2015 - Stonebridge Benefit Services is not a subsidiary of Stonebridge International, but all of them are basically part of AEGON, so I would not expect the payout/premium ratio to be significantly different.
Last edited by: Hoffmeister: May 22, 16 14:16
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Insurance [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well OK, that's how all insurance works.

I insure my 140.6 races, not the 70.3s.

Work, injuries, life, who knows.

IMHO.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Insurance [Macaroni Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, so basically we agree the answer to "worth it?" is no
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think for a full IM, it is absolutely worth it (at least for me). I signed up for IMTX 2015 in July and unfortunately had to scrap the race in March due to injury. Had my doc sign the form, and had my refund back in a few weeks. It was really easy and painless.

It's not like you sign up for an IM 2 months before the race (although there are exceptions). There's a lot to go wrong in the 6+ months before the race. Life, work, family, injuries, etc. The safety net of not losing 600 bucks and only losing 80-90 bucks (I think that's what it cost) is nice to have.

I'm kind of superstitious and feel if I don't get the insurance, I will end up injured and not able to race.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Insurance [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a bit of an old topic but does anyone know if they are still offering this insurance, specifically for 2017 races? I'm currently injured and want to sign up for IMLP 2017 but so afraid of another injury pulling me out, I'd feel more comfortable paying for the insurance if I need it. Are they not offering it anymore?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased it a couple of years ago. I had brain surgery and couldn't race. I got 100% of my race entry back, no problem at all.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply