Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Chattanooga?
Quote | Reply
Considering doing Ironman Chattanooga. It would be my first Ironman. Really excited about the prospect of attempting/completing an Ironman. What are everyone's thoughts on this as a "first" Ironman? How's the swim? Is it wetsuit legal? Is the current a factor? Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga? [franceschi710] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
0/10

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear next year, the swim will be up-river instead of down. Doesn't matter, though, it will still be 2.4 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a real Ironman race. Completing this only make you as good as a Dorito's bag, or something like that.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga? [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand that this race was just last weekend. Do you have any idea approximately how many people particapted/competed? Not a determining factor for me I'm just curious?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
franceschi710 wrote:
I understand that this race was just last weekend. Do you have any idea approximately how many people particapted/competed? Not a determining factor for me I'm just curious?

http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz3nEc5WrYV

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
franceschi710 wrote:
Considering doing Ironman Chattanooga. It would be my first Ironman. Really excited about the prospect of attempting/completing an Ironman. What are everyone's thoughts on this as a "first" Ironman? How's the swim? Is it wetsuit legal? Is the current a factor? Thanks in advance.

Ignore the horse shit answers above. I love when people are dicks and try to be funny.

It would be a great first time event. Swim will be fast, but cancelled out by a four mile longer bike. Run can be tough, but overall - it's a faster course. Wetsuit should not be counted on.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitch or BT. I can't tell the difference anymore....
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga? [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
I hear next year, the swim will be up-river instead of down. Doesn't matter, though, it will still be 2.4 miles.

Great point Sir, but I'm sure eyemd3 will be on soon to debate the issue:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga? [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
deh20 wrote:

I was just getting ready to dig the dead horse up and beat him again but said "nah, let him rest.....for now"

One thing I will say about the swim is I thought for sure it would be wetsuit legal this year. At the athlete's meeting, the temp was said to be 76.4 (if I recall correctly). On race morning, it was 77.1 degrees. This was despite a lot of rain the previous two days and cool days/nights. It's probably very unlikely this will ever be wetsuit legal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forget all the jokers above.

I raced here last weekend (10th IM) and it was a very pleasant surprise. Yes, the swim is downriver, but as noted, this will likely always be a no wetsuit affair. Bike course is rolling, a tad long, but fairly good roads with great crowd and volunteer support. Run is challenging, but again with great crowd and volunteer support.

The city really seems to get behind this race, and it is a fantastic little place to visit. I would highly recommend it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga? [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eye3md wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
deh20 wrote:

I was just getting ready to dig the dead horse up and beat him again but said "nah, let him rest.....for now"

One thing I will say about the swim is I thought for sure it would be wetsuit legal this year. At the athlete's meeting, the temp was said to be 76.4 (if I recall correctly). On race morning, it was 77.1 degrees. This was despite a lot of rain the previous two days and cool days/nights. It's probably very unlikely this will ever be wetsuit legal.

Somebody has to stand up for our rights #swimmerslivesmatter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
eye3md wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
deh20 wrote:

#BanTheCurrent

#WetsuitPlease

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Dev Paul has some thoughts on this race.....

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
eye3md wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
deh20 wrote:

We joked about this after last year's race that if the current had not been so strong they would have "found" a spot of water that was 76.1 degrees.

They didn't want current and wetsuit. Not sure why, maybe that gives an advantage to nonfish?

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga? [lostinT2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree.... I loved the support behind the race. I did it last weekend as my first full distance and highly recommend it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After sifting through what has become the usual sidebar ST rubbish, hopefully you will get some value out of this thread; here is my take:

Venue: Very good consolidated T1/T2 and logistically not too bad, I stayed outside of downtown at a Residence Inn and had no problems race morning with parking...as well as getting out after the race.

Course:
Great Swim regardless of what you think about the current, the water is relatively clean, little to no contact,good and temps, slight hassle factor on busing to start
OK Bike with nothing too challenging, getting out of town was little congested and roads were rough (plenty of bottles launched), back loops were rolling with short easy climbs, better roads
Run was deceptively challenging, hills are significant as compared to visualizing through profile map, my strength is running and this one got the best of me as I had not scoped the run course out and paced too fast prior to crossing the river. I don't mind hills either (St George X 2).

Overall a good race for first, especially if swim is a weakness, running a strength, and driving to venue (flying in was not super convenient as I had to come through ATL). Support was great, low stress setup, decent course and town was very hospitable.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga? [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:
After sifting through what has become the usual sidebar ST rubbish, hopefully you will get some value out of this thread; here is my take:

Venue: Very good consolidated T1/T2 and logistically not too bad, I stayed outside of downtown at a Residence Inn and had no problems race morning with parking...as well as getting out after the race.

Course:
Great Swim regardless of what you think about the current, the water is relatively clean, little to no contact,good and temps, slight hassle factor on busing to start
OK Bike with nothing too challenging, getting out of town was little congested and roads were rough (plenty of bottles launched), back loops were rolling with short easy climbs, better roads
Run was deceptively challenging, hills are significant as compared to visualizing through profile map, my strength is running and this one got the best of me as I had not scoped the run course out and paced too fast prior to crossing the river. I don't mind hills either (St George X 2).

Overall a good race for first, especially if swim is a weakness, running a strength, and driving to venue (flying in was not super convenient as I had to come through ATL). Support was great, low stress setup, decent course and town was very hospitable.

Cheers!

x2

I did not train enough tough hills and second loop was brutal. All else was wonderful.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga? [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey thanks for your reply guys. I really appreciate your assistance. That was more of what I was looking for. I live in Florida and wanted to do an Ironman out of state but wanted to compete in one that would be easy to drive to. I respect the sport and don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I've been told that it is important to choose a race that fits. I'm a pretty proficient marathoner and cyclist but swimming is definitely my weak sport. With that said I'm not afraid to put in the time necessary to get better in the water. Thank you for your insight on the venue and course. All important components to consider.

I have to say I am bit surprised by some of the less than positive responses posted on this and other threads like this one on this site. But I guess I shouldn't be. I especially like the "Doritos Bag" comment. I doubt that the many athletes who competed in Chattanooga this past weekend feel like less of an athlete/Ironman because a small group think their accomplishment is tainted because of an assisting current. I assume they would argue that they're entitled to their opinion. Which they are, no matter how negative, unwarranted, or worthless it may be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will add that the location is very family friendly. There are a lot of activities within 0.25 miles of the finish line/transition to keep kids entertained on Friday/Saturday, plus all of the activities and attractions available just outside of town. The potential downside is that it is in the southeast during hurricane season (obviously only inland impact, but still potential for significant rain and wind). The weather was about perfect on Sunday, but Friday/Saturday and Monday were pretty wet.

I loved the course and race itself and do not feel that it was a lesser accomplishment than my other IM finishes.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga? [key4871] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
key4871 wrote:
ktm520 wrote:

Course:

Cheers!

x2

I did not train enough tough hills and second loop was brutal. All else was wonderful.

x3
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga? [mdm81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. That's good to know. My wife and three year old will need stuff to do while dad is out suffering. That's a major consideration for me. The location should have stuff for my family/support group to do.
Quote Reply