Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [xATLASx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know any specific place, but I'm sure if you bring the bike to a local bike shop and ask for regular maintenance they will keep the bike while you are travelling. I don't believe there will be any extra charge for storage.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [paolo.s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good idea! Thanks!

Greg
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [hardmantri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have lived in Italy for the past 10 years, now moving back to the US in 4 weeks (so will not be racing cervia).

Fwiw, I intentionally avoided racing in the summer as it was simply too hot. Also, the summer months are a complete zoo as everyone is on vacation which means hotels don't have availability and the prices are really steep. So, I think it is a wise choice to choose September.

Be prepared that September can be quite cool (my first half was in 15 - 20c temp) which was fabulous. Although the last one was 28c and muggy.

Enjoy Italy. It is a stunning country with amazing cycling!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [juliainitaly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Julia,

Just over 4 weeks left until race day!!!

Quick question for you. Do you know if i need anything more than the USAT license in order to race in Italy?

Thank you for your help.

Max

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [Maks Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your USA tri card is all you need :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect....then I am ready to go :)

Max

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman Italy will be my first full distance event! Craving for the taper to start and very much looking forward to the event. I did not sign up with great expectations course wise, but the more I dig into it, the more I realize it could be absolutely fabulous.

The only thing I'm struggling with at the moment is the license. I was planning to buy the one-day license with a medical certificate issued in my home contry, but as mentioned before in this thread and as shared by Ironman Italy on the fb page, this is not possible. https://www.facebook.com/...sts/1329680393811142

The organisation suggests to get a national triathlon license and bring that along, but for me personally that's quite an expensive option as licenses cost 120 euro in my country.

To the Italians in this thread: I plan to arrive a couple of days in in Italy upfront. How feasible would it be to get a medical certificate from an Italian doctor and use that for the one-day license?

Cheers,
Euroracer
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [euroracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
consider signing for a foreign federation instead
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Julia,

Hows the taper coming along?

Quick question for you. Do I need an International Drivers Permit to rent and drive a car in Italy?

Thanks for your help!

Max

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [euroracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To the Italians in this thread: I plan to arrive a couple of days in in Italy upfront. How feasible would it be to get a medical certificate from an Italian doctor and use that for the one-day license?

I completely discourage this as it would not be worth the hassle. The type of certification they want for something like that is a competitive sports certificate which involves a urine test, a heart stress test and pulmonary capacity measurement. The price will set you back between 50 to 80 euro but it has to be done by a sports medical doctor and when I have it (obligatory) done once a year there is always a 2 month waiting list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maks Tri wrote:
Hi Julia,

Hows the taper coming along?

Quick question for you. Do I need an International Drivers Permit to rent and drive a car in Italy?

Thanks for your help!

Taper is going good and I'm in the "let's get this thing over with!!" stage.

Yes, you do need an International Driver's license :-)

j
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Max,

Hope you had a good race. How did everything go? Did renting the bike work out? I think I noticed you stayed in a hotel. I'm looking at renting an AirBnB. How was your experience?

Alex
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [alexmiear16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alex,

Great race, transition was a bit long, seemed like a mile. Registration and everything else was pretty smooth. I wish I could have arrived a couple of days before the race. It was a bit hectic running around all day Friday trying to figure everything out between getting my bike, registration, set up, expo, etc.

I did rent a bike and it did not end up being that great. About 30 miles in, my back started to hurt and then shoulder and arms went. I thought i was going to have to walk the run but shook it out and did ok. I would recommend bringing your own and trying to figure out what to do with it later if you are planning on traveling in Italy.

We actually did AirBnB and that worked out fine. We were about 1.5 miles away from the start which was not a problem for me but a bit of a problem for my wife and 4 year old son who came to see me finish and saw me throughout the run. The good thing is that the apartment was right on the run course. No problems renting at AirBnB. very good experience and we also did the same in Rome when we drove there after.

I would recommend this race to anyone. Water was still and chilly which worked out perfect for a wetsuit swim. The temperature did not get above low 70's. I would do this race again in a heartbeat but maybe get an apartment a bit closer to the expo.

Are you registering now?

Max

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reading through the thread i see only positive feedback for this event, Italians did an awesome job with this FIM attracting a lot of tourists and locals
Only positive stuff for the Emilia romagna not the same for the other full distance held in Venice
Last edited by: Biggrub_tri: Oct 5, 17 2:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Max,

Good to hear the race overall was good. I registered the day it went online with a friend of mine. I am going with my wife, daughter, and my parents. My daughter will will be almost 2 at that point. I am trying to find a villa big enough for all of use but that seems challenging.

My current plans is to fly the Tuesday night from NY and arrive in Italy Wed morning. This gives me a day to get to the area and get settled. Feel like sharing the AirBnB you used? My thought was to be on the run course and close to swim start, transition, and finish. Sounds like that is basically what you did.

I'm sorry to hear that renting the bike didn't work out. I was hoping it went amazing and it put my fears to bed about renting a bike for such a race. Do you think that having such a short time with the bike before having to check it made a difference? Ideally I was going to have it a day or two before to help try out the fitting. If I remember right you got a road bike with aero clip-ons. Think that impacted the fit? I was going to stick with a road bike to try and match training the best I can. While the fit didn't work out, how was the company you recommended? Was the logistics good?

Did you meet anyone else there that shipped their bike from the US? I am at a dead end on how to do that.

I appreciate you taking the time respond.

Alex
Quote Reply

Prev Next