Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [Maks Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maks Tri wrote:
This will be my first time in Italy so I am very excited. Still need to find an apartment to rent for my family and our friend. :)

I found a hotel on Booking close to start/finish. If you need any help with travel info in Italy feel free to PM me, I've lived here for over thirty years and now live in the same region as Cervia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maks Tri wrote:
Hows the water and the swim looking? I am pretty comfortable in the water but just want to be prepared.

Maks, the water should be salty, drinking not recommended.
By the way, is not the best sea, but, unless storms happen, it should be rather clear in the morning, you'll see the bottom of the surface pretty much the whole swim. The depth of the water shouldn't exceed 3-5 meters at the most.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [juliainitaly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Julia.

We are flying in to Bologna. Whats the easiest way to get to Cervia from the airport?

I am still trying to figure out if renting a car would be more convenient. We are planning to go to Venice for a day or two and then Rome.

Also, we are looking to rent an apartment so if you know anyone renting, please let me know.

Thank you for your help!

Max

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [paolo.s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Paolo. Love swimming in clear waters, then again, who doesn't.

Max

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Max,

clear water if there are no waves 😂

I would reccomend you to rent a car during the ironmandays, then I'd return and use the train to Rome and Venice.
Either Bologna and Venice airport are good picks, you want to look for a baggage/bike deposit too after the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lets hope for calm waters then :)

I am actually renting a road bike just to make travel easier.

Max

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maks Tri wrote:
Thank you Julia.

We are flying in to Bologna. Whats the easiest way to get to Cervia from the airport?

I am still trying to figure out if renting a car would be more convenient. We are planning to go to Venice for a day or two and then Rome.

Also, we are looking to rent an apartment so if you know anyone renting, please let me know.

Thank you for your help!

From the airport there is a bus to the train station (6 euro) that takes about 20 minutes.
To look at train schedules you can go here: http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

You're leaving from BOLOGNA CENTRALE and your destination is CERVIA - MILANO MARITTIMA
There's a train leaving every hour until 8:00 pm - you'll have one train change in Ravenna. Cost varies from 10 to 20 euro depending on what train you choose but with this route they all take around 2 hours to get to Cervia.

Cervia to Venice = 3 hrs and two train changes for 25 to 45 euro
Venice to Rome = 3 hrs and no train change for 42 to 70 euro

By the way, I saw in the comments that you are renting a bike - If you were bringing your own I would definitely choose a car but if you don't "need" a car , the train is a much better choice. No worrying about crazy Italian drivers, the very expensive freeways (and lines to pay at) and the 4 x what it costs to fill up a tank of gas in the States .

For your apartment in Cervia I looked on AirBnB and they have plenty of choices for apartments right in the center of town so I think that's where you can go to look for your abode.

J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you Julia.

One more quick question for now. We are flying in from the states so will be flying in late. What are our options of getting to Cervia in the evening?

Thank you for the tips on renting and not renting a car. Still trying to figure out the easiest way of getting around. We will have a 4 year old with us :)

Max

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What time does your flight arrive in Bologna?

With a four year old a train is definitely a better choice ;-)

j
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are landing at 7:30 pm.

Max

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maks Tri wrote:
We are landing at 7:30 pm.

Ugh. Last train is at 8:15 pm and you won't make it.
Either stay at a hotel in Bologna in front of the train station that night and then leave early in the morning or go for the car rental option, maybe just for the Cervia portion of the trip.

A third option would be to take a train that same night to Ravenna (last train at 10:00 pm) and then either stay in Ravenna that night or take a 12 mile cab ride from Ravenna train station to Cervia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we will probably have to rent a car for Cervia part.

Our friend is meeting us there so maybe she will already get a car and will pick us up. Now i just have to coordinate with her.

Thank you very much for your help!

Are you looking forward to the race? Any other tips for traveling in Italy or even doing a race in Italy?

Can I buy CO2 cartridges there? Should i worry now about my prerace meal?

Max

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maks Tri wrote:
I think we will probably have to rent a car for Cervia part.

Our friend is meeting us there so maybe she will already get a car and will pick us up. Now i just have to coordinate with her.

Thank you very much for your help!

Are you looking forward to the race? Any other tips for traveling in Italy or even doing a race in Italy?

Can I buy CO2 cartridges there? Should i worry now about my prerace meal?

I'm really looking forward to the race since so many of my friends have already declared they're coming to spectate. :-)
I've raced the 70.3 in Italy and IM does a great job so you should have no problem with race logistics.
You'll find plenty of vendors selling CO2 cartridges. Pre-race meal, depends on what you are looking for but I'm going to say no worries there.
For travel tips let me know if you have any questions.

j
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will do when i think of some. Thank you for your help and I am looking forward to the race and see Italy. Very excited.

Max

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Julia,

In an effort to cut down driving time, we are looking at other cities that we can visit between Cervia and Rome instead of going all the way up north to Venice.

Florence is closer. Would you recommend anything else that can be found on the way to Rome. If it was up to me, i would visit all of them but i think we have enough time for 1-2 cities at most.

Thank you for your help!

Max

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maks Tri wrote:
Julia,

In an effort to cut down driving time, we are looking at other cities that we can visit between Cervia and Rome instead of going all the way up north to Venice.

Florence is closer. Would you recommend anything else that can be found on the way to Rome. If it was up to me, i would visit all of them but i think we have enough time for 1-2 cities at most.

Thank you for your help!

Florence and then Siena, both on your way to Rome. Siena has smaller roads to get to it (not a freeway like Florence) but absolutely worth the scenery driving.

j
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am signed up for this one.

I get what people are saying about the late season races, sort of, but to be honest I'd take moderate temperatures over the heat of summer. And quite importantly the average sea temperatures in July and August make a wetsuit legal swim really unlikely any earlier than mid September.

It works amazingly for my season as well. I trained in winter, did IM South Africa at the beginning of this month. Summer will be some shorter races and 2 70.3's (Staffordshire and Zell am See) and then end the season with IM Italy. And then start drinking aggressively for a couple weeks.

I don't know anything about IM Wisconsin unfortunately but from looking online it looks like it has roughly double the amount of elevation gain as Italy so you're probably in for a slightly easier (or faster) day.

Cannot wait.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Max, what are your plans for shipping your bike? I haven't traveled internationally from the US before and a traditional bike box and shipping seems complicated.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [alexmiear16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alex,

IT does look complicated. Since we are going to do some traveling after the race as well, I just decided to rent a bike. It will not be a bike I trained on but it will be much cheaper and less hassle then bringing my own.

Renting my bike from these guys: http://www.rentalbikeitaly.com/

Just getting a road bike with aero bars, triathlon bikes are a bit more expensive.

Max

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have read of people doing this but it seems to go against everything ironman training tells you. I wish there was a company like Tri Bike Transport. Even if you had to send the bike 1 month in advance on boat container....

That being said I am an average biker with IM times about 14 hours so being on a different bike doesn't concern me from a performance perspective but simply a "fit" point of view. I am actually looking at 2018 if they keep the race around so I would be interested in hearing your experience once it is all said and done. Thanks for the reply.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [alexmiear16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand and totally agree but I am going out to do this race for fun and actually the bike I will be renting is the same company I ride now so hopefully that will help.

I will definitely let you know how this turns out and maybe do a short report after the race.

Max

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [hardmantri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to this race. Can't believe its only a few short months away.

Max

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Julia,

Hows training going? Hows the heat out there in Italy?

We decided to go from Cervia to Rome via Perugia. Will stay one night there and explore the town and then head to Rome. Any suggestions?

Also, do i need to worry about the water temperature in September? Will the swim be wetsuit legal? Do i need to plan for what to wear if wetsuits are not allowed?

Thank you for your help!

Just 2.5 months left until race day :)

Max

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Max!
Training is going good :-)
The heat is hot and we are heading into our second over 100°f heatwave.
We have to wait until September to know anything about the water, each year it's different but it was still "warm" last year though not hot. I would think that the water would not be hot in September though and wetsuits should be fine.
I have no idea about Perugia - haven't been there in a long time!

Happy Training -
Julia
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"you want to look for a baggage/bike deposit too after the race. "

Do you mean that you suggest we find a storage facility to lock you bike in for days that you remain in Italy and travel? Can you suggest any such places?
Quote Reply

Prev Next